Profile for Lionel R. Playford > Reviews

Content by Lionel R. Playford

Lionel R. Playford "darwin" (North Pennines, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sevylor 2X2Ltr Double Action Hand Pump
Sevylor 2X2Ltr Double Action Hand Pump
Price: 13.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very effeciently, 25 Aug 2013
It pumped up my air bed 4 times as fast. That's good, but will it survive the test of time?

The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill
The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill
by Tim Ingold
Price: 29.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenge to orthodox thinking on how we describe and see the world we inhabit., 25 Aug 2013
Thsi is for anyone with a deeper interest in the ways in which we in the West have represented the world around us since the Renaissance. My review is a professional artidst trying to better understand how the world around me has been represented in my culture. This set of essays from the early 90s onwards considers various different but related models of representation of the world we inhabit, some contemporary and others from previous eras. Ingold boldly challenges orthodoxies from academia, including from his own area of anrhropoplogy, but more bravely from the world of science generally. He argues that the rational, experimental evidence based modelling of life misses an important aspect of human experience and history. Typically science places the observing hypothesising mind outside the world, representing nature as something 'out there' with a rigid spatial framework and set of unchanging principles that govern all interactions through a chain of cause and effect (ideas that took hold in the 18th century and which Prof Brian Cox happily promotes to the next generation). Ingold asks us to accept, as Heidigger argued, that we cannot in reality be outside of nature acting as a neutral rational observer but are always involved intimately in the unfolding of the world, our lived experience entangled in and inseperable from the events and phenomena our minds see. He argues against the separation of mind from body,proposing that our concepts of the world are embodied in our sensory experience which inevitably will frmae the world in different ways depending on our priorities for survival and the qualities of the surronding environment. There is in reality no precise point of separation between the phenomenon experienced and the perception of it, where object 'out there' becomes mental projection separate from it. Most daringly he argues (as I understand it so far) that modern genetics' model of a DNA blueprint for life effectively ignores this way in which our entire unfolding development from single cell to complex human, fully engaged in the wider world around us, is not, logically, separated from the environent in which it is developing and moving. This is difficult to understand given that the model he tries to undermine seems to have delivered some remarkably useful products, for example in medical diagnostics and therapies, and these outcomes would seem to rely on an accurate and predicatble model of genetic transmission. I would like to read the counter argument before giving this book the full 5 stars.

Revell 39608 Mini Contacta Professional Polystyrene Cement Glue 12.5g
Revell 39608 Mini Contacta Professional Polystyrene Cement Glue 12.5g
Offered by World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd
Price: 3.40

4.0 out of 5 stars good design, 25 Jun 2013
Well thought through design of nozzle and base which stops drips poring down body of tube. Old toothpaste tube designs always ended up leaking everywhere and drying out in the tube.

Reeves 16 inch Wooden Artists Manikin
Reeves 16 inch Wooden Artists Manikin
Offered by Crafty Arts
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars broke easily, 25 Jun 2013
Arm broke off amazingly easily and is almost impossible to repair due to strength of springs. On the other hand it was very cheap. Just don't let your children play with it! Good value on balance.

Being Alive: Essays on Movement, Knowledge and Description
Being Alive: Essays on Movement, Knowledge and Description
by Tim Ingold
Price: 25.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jun 2013
Changes your view of what it is to inhabit the earth. Ingold argues his case thoroughly and mostly in a very readable way (not too much academic jargon in other words). He does not pull his punches against the views of land and landscape held by some academic researchers past and present and is clear in his support of a more wholistic and interactive way of experiencing and representing the land as a land-sky interface referring to cultures that view land and the Earth in a very different way from ours. This book will be of great interest to artists, writers, geographers, climatologists, outdoor activity sports people (rock climbers etc) and anyone with an interest in questioning conventional Western ways of engaging with, using and representing the landscape which we inhabit. A book for our times.

Silverline 456956 Jump Leads Heavy Duty 600A max 3.6m
Silverline 456956 Jump Leads Heavy Duty 600A max 3.6m
Price: 13.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, 25 Jun 2013
I'm glad I bought these. Nice thick cables and a good length. Good strong croc clips that get a nice grip in the battery terminals. Slightly too large for my terminals though. I'm sure these will be good in the winter.

Everbuild EVFF7 Fix and Fill Expanding Foam Filler 750ml
Everbuild EVFF7 Fix and Fill Expanding Foam Filler 750ml
Price: 6.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't read the instructions, 11 Mar 2013
Good product once I understood how to use it. The key instructions were a little hidden amonf a load of other graphics and because I can't read small text without glasses I missed it. It should be written in larger text for the thousands of people like me.

Pia Rossini Sorrento Women's Gloves Aubergine Large
Pia Rossini Sorrento Women's Gloves Aubergine Large
Offered by GorgeousThings

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Mar 2013
Exactly as I would have expectewd base don the description. It's a present which hasn't actually been given yet so hope recipient will like
it if they fit.

Epson T0483 - Print cartridge - 1 x magenta - 430 pages
Epson T0483 - Print cartridge - 1 x magenta - 430 pages
Offered by Tropical Ink
Price: 7.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing arrived, 11 Mar 2013
Nothing arrived so can't say anything useful about the product yet. I am looking forward to recieving it one day!

New Selected Stories
New Selected Stories
by Alice Munro
Price: 13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife likes Alice Munroe, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: New Selected Stories (Hardcover)
My wife says she can't put this book down. She's new to Alice Munroe and I bought this after an unusually unanimous positive review on BBC2's The Review Show. She thinks the quality of writing is some of the best she has read in years and I'm looking forward to reading it after she's finished.

Page: 1 | 2