Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul

Beginning ASP.Net 4.5 in C# (Experts Voice in .Net)
Beginning ASP.Net 4.5 in C# (Experts Voice in .Net)
by Matthew MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 4 Jun. 2014
I would highly recommend this book if you want to get started with ASP.NET development in C#.

It is written in an excellent style which is both technically competent and easy to understand. Although it is an introductory text, it actually covers a wide range of subjects related to ASP.NET. This book enabled me to build a website with secure logins, consistent themes, and effective access to a SQL Server database, and I have still only properly read about half of the chapters!

As with any modern technology, there is a lot to learn with ASP.NET, and you will probably have to search the thorough online documentation to achieve everything you need to. What this book gives you is a great understanding of the fundamentals so you are then able to comprehend and make good use of the online documentation which would otherwise be overwhelming.

Definitely one of my better purchases!

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression Without Drugs
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression Without Drugs
by Stephen S. Ilardi

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant help for depressed people, 3 Feb. 2011
If you suffer from depression and want a simple, effective and well researched way to help lift your depression, then I would highly recommend this book to you.

My situation is as follows: I have suffered from depression for over 10 years. Part of the reason I have suffered for so long is that until fairly recently I didn't realise my problem was depression, and the other reason is that I hadn't found very effective help for depression. Once I realised I had depression, I tried to help myself by going on anti-depressants and doing other things like exercise which I had heard were good for depression. Those things helped a bit, but I was still essentially depressed. After having found this book and used it's principles for about 6 months, I am not completely depression free, but I am off anti-depressants and feel good enough to not feel the need to go back on anti-depressants. I also feel confident that I will continue to improve.

One thing to note, although this book is sightly anti-drugs, I used the principles while still on anti-depressants, and it is perfectly complementary. I found I felt much better while taking drugs AND using the book's advice, and then reached a point where I felt I could cope without the drugs, and so far so good. I would disagree with the book in that anti-depressants are basically useless for moderately depressed people, but I would agree that they are useless for a permanent long term cure for any depressed person (but that's just my own experience).

That said this book is very well written and very effective. It is well written in that is sympathetic, positive and inspiring, and easy to read. I can say that it is effective for 5 reasons:

1) I have used it and I have felt the results.

2) Each of the 6 aspects of the depression cure are based on extensive research about what really improves depression. This is no pet theory book.

3) Each action to help depression has been tailored for the depressed person: they are easy to understand and easy to put in place in your life. It is something that is so often overlooked in books to help depression - depressed people just find it harder to do everything, so if there is a complicated and difficult action to help depression, chances are it won't be done.

4) The fact that the actions are based on thorough research means you are more confident that they will work, and therefore put more effort into adopting them.

5) The book covers several different types of actions to help depression. Other depression books tend to focus just on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or just on your diet, or just on whatever. For each individual the effectiveness of each action is probably very different, but by doing all 6 bases you've got the best chance that you're doing the things which will help YOU.

Anyway I've rambled on enough!

In summary: give this book go! There's no harm in trying.

Roberts MP43 Sound 43 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 16 Aug. 2009
I would definitely recommend this unit for anyone considering buying it.

There currently aren't many products on the market which combine a CD player, IPod dock and DAB radio, and this one does it brilliantly. They all function very well and are very easy to use. The DAB just sorted itself out and when I first switched on the machine there were about 25 DAB chanels set up ready to use. The DAB quality is also very good, which was an issue with a previous machine I had.

The sound quality is very good for a unit of this size. As other reviews have said, it is probably not a replacement for a proper, good quality stereo, but for me as a casual music listener it works brilliantly as my main stereo.

The unit looks very good. It's small, sleek and stylish.

I have a couple of minor gripes: I don't particularly like touch sensitive buttons - products often have touch sensitive buttons rather than 'proper' buttons in order to make a product look for fashionable, but they simply don't work as well. This product falls under this catagory. However, the buttons do work well enough to not ruin the experience. I also would have preferred a volume knob rather than buttons. Also, there are only single line in/out ports in the back of the product, so this may be an issue if you are intending to use inputs/output.

Those gripes are minor, and overall I would highly recommend this product.

One other bonus which a wasn't expecting is that it does have a really useful alarm. You can set it for weekdays which is really useful for work. You can set the alarm to come on to radio, CD, IPod or just a buzzer. The buzzer is brilliant because it starts off really quietly and gradually gets louder which helps to mitigate the pain of getting up in the morning! Also it has a five minute snooze which you can operate from the remote if you need to.

All in all a great buy!

Build Your Self Esteem
Build Your Self Esteem
by Glenn Harrold
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me, 27 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Build Your Self Esteem (Audio CD)
Although this CD seems to helped a lot of people, it really hasn't had the same effect with me. The tracks obviously try to get you into some kind of hypnotised state in order to heighten the effectiveness of the positive suggestions. At no point did I feel hypnotised or any more relaxed than I would do just lying down. I found the fact that the track is trying to hypnotise you coupled with the fact that I didn't feel hypnotised made me annoyed that I somehow wasn't getting it, and subsequently made less relaxed. This has made me not want to listen to the tracks, so I have stopped.

I think what I am trying to say is that although many people seem to have got great benefits from the CD, it may not do so for you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2012 9:47 PM BST