Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

ASUS Transformer Book T100 10.1-inch 2-in-1 Convertible Netbook (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 32GB SSD, 2GB DDR3, Intel HD Graphics, Touchscreen, SDXC Card Reader, USB 3.0, Micro HDMI, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Unique, 24 Mar. 2014
Reading journalist's reviews of this device is quite interesting and very revealing; I've seen it reviewed as a netbook, as a tablet and as a laptop, and only a couple of them have realised the truth; this is none of those things and all of them.

It's not a netbook because it doesn't just come with access to the web and a browser. It runs full Windows 8.1, albeit only 32 bit home edition. So it will run almost all your Windows programmes. Mine for example is running Lightroom 5.3, so I can process RAW files on the train. It runs Lightroom quite comfortably, though I assume it might struggle with Photoshop CS so I haven't tried. On top of that it comes with Office home and student. Yes built-in storage is limited but I'm OK so far.

It's not a tablet because it isn't a mobile phone on steroids. It's fully configurable, any software you don't want can be uninstalled at the drop of a hat, and (see above) it runs full versions of Windows programmes, not measly little stripped down Apps. So, not to labour a point, Photoshop Express on my phone is OK, but it's not Lightroom. It does some of the things a tablet will do, it has Bing Maps (which seems OK) with GPS, it has Bluetooth, it's a touchscreen and you can carry it around in your hand. It is though a waste of time to compare this with a iPad or Android tablet, it is very much more flexible and powerful than those.

It's not a laptop because it doesn't hurt to carry it more than a few yards ;-).

So what is it? Something different, something new and something really useful. I really can't wait for this paradigm to hit a device which is robust enough to use at work; I'm not sure this is yet.

I've had it just over two weeks, so I can't comment about long-term reliability. So far it runs fine, is very quick to boot up, and the battery life is what the blurb says it is.

One key point for me is that it networks with my existing Windows PC, so file transfer between devices is just a matter of drag and drop, no messing about with clunky interfaces.

Another reviewer mentions that the email app will only work with web-mail clients, and not POP3. This is quite true, but I downloaded and installed Mozilla Thunderbird in two shakes of a lamb's tail and my POP3 emails are fully accessible,

So why not five stars? Well, it's not perfect. The touchpad is not great, though to be honest it's a lot better than that on my new work laptop (£800 worth) which is driving me mad, but it's a bit stiff, and can be flaky. It hasn't got 3g, but I could tether my phone or get a dongle. And as some of the reviews have suggested, it isn't the most robustly constructed device in the world. Don't get me wrong, it seems well made and there are no obvious creaks or cracks, but we'll see how well it's really made after a year of use.

So, in summary, if you want a powerful, portable Windows computer with a flexible form factor, this is it, and for a very good price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 4:42 PM BST

The Open-focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body (Book & CD)
by Les Fehmi

1.0 out of 5 stars lacking rigour, unsubstantiated, 2 Feb. 2013
I feel rather foolish for having bought this book. Not because the accompanying CD is shockingly poor quality sound quality, though sad to say this is the case (not that this masks the stomach-churning sound of Dr Fehmi swallowing his saliva all thru the recording). No, I am ashamed to say I fell for the whole idea of reaching special states of mind via a short cut, hoping to gain the peace and relaxation of meditation without having to bother with all that practice. That's not to downplay the value of relaxation tapes. The CD is highly effective in that respect. I certainly found that I could not hold my head up, or even remain seated upright while listening to the CD. Really DON'T listen while operating a chainsaw etc! It's very hypnotic even if quite unpleasant. But my main criticism is that there does not appear to be any kind of body of evidence to substantiate the claims made. I cannot find any studies testing/reproducing his work. References are scant. And often cite the authors own work. Or are dated from the 1970s. I hoped to find a body of literature, preferably including a meta analysis, that might give more perspective on the subject but noone seems to have bothered.

There are also no qualitative studies of clients' experiences.

I think if an author peddling any kind of health- related product has so enthusiastically banished all doubt from his own mind about it and is relying on endless testimonials instead of a decent evidence base then it's worth hanging onto your money. Sorry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2014 4:12 PM GMT