Profile for D. Wood > Reviews

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [DVD] [1975]
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best film of all time, 27 Mar. 2014
This film totally absorbed and moved me to cry at the end and I did not recover at the end for a while I was that choked up. A testament to Jack NIcholson's briliant performance that we feel so much for this loveable rogue. It's not exactly a case of good versus evil as JN is a"criminal", but more a case of spirit and big heartedness and love for your fellow man versus implacable rigid authority and malice. What a character Nurse Rachet is! Looks smooth, ladylike, efficient, pleasant but her face! A total blank mask devoid of any emotion, and that haunts me still. I wanted to kill her when she threatened to tell Billy's mother he had slept with a girl. Billy's case is so tragic, he can leave if he wants but you get the idea that his mother is strict and cruel and probably causes his nervous stammer and has told him he should be there. II felt shock, rage, sympathy, and totally laughed out loud several times, especially with the fishing boat scene. When JN is brought back and he has had a lobotomy I felt cold to my core. The music at the start and the end, so haunting too. Just a masterpiece.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming uplifting story, 7 May 2013
I wanted to read this because I adore cats but it is so much more than just a tale about a cute cat. It is a story about life on the streets for human and animal, about the bond between a man and his pet and about how life can get better and be great even if you don't have a lot of money. I loved it and cried at the end. Bob is amazing, such a character. It shows that a cat can be as loyal as any dog, and even though he was a street cat and could leave at any time, he chose to stay with James because he recognised the love and care that he was being given and also instinctively knew that James needed support and help as well. James could see that having Bob gave him something to live and care for and a focus on something other than his problems. It is the most uplifting book I have ever read and I would recommend it to anyone. God bless them both and I hope they continue to do well!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 9:31 AM BST

The Iron Lady [DVD]
The Iron Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointing, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Iron Lady [DVD] (DVD)
This film was not at all what I was expecting. It should have been called something like Margarent and Dennis. The vast majority of the film portrays Margaret Thatcher as an old frail forgetful woman going about her daily life and having illusions of seeing and hearing Dennis and having conversations with him, mainly in the present day. How can anyone claim to have the insight to portray this, let alone at such length? The story of her life in politics is totally secondary and is portrayed in brief cliched snapshots. I thought this would be a portrayal of her life in politics, how she got there, the main events of her premiership but they are glossed over. I've given it two stars for Meryl Streep but again the film just seems a contrivance for her to get an Oscar - for portraying a great woman now reduced to the early stages of Alzheimers. And they don't have the decency to release something like this when she is dead! How humiliating. I felt embarrassed and felt myself cringeing at the portrayal of her. I did not come away thinking of the contrast between how strong she was to how she is (supposedly) now because the film did not depict her strength enough. Terrible.

Children of the Stones: The Complete Series [DVD]
Children of the Stones: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gareth Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent scary children's tv, 4 Oct. 2012
It's funny what you remember from your childhood, but one of my vivid memories is of this series. I was 10 and must have been affected by it! I remember the roof opening, the white light, sitting round a table. REcently friends and I were discussing kids TV and it prompted m to go and look on YOu Tube, when I saw Hendrick and Sandra I audibly gasped! And the music and those voices! The stones looming up in the introduction! Such a creepy claustrophobic feel to it, fantastic. God they don't make children's tv like this anymore.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful funny and moving book, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I have only just read this book although it has been out a while. I finished it yesterday and still feel moved by it. When I finished it I felt like I had lost two friends, because you really get to know the characters and feel like you have lived the past 20 years with them. Not really being interested in romantic fiction that is "modern" I was only drawn to it because it was about students graduating in July 88 - the same month and year that I did. LIttle did I know how much I would be affected by this book. It made me laugh out loud, get angry and cry buckets. I'm crying as I write this, so much have the characters affected me.

I SO wanted Dex and Em to get together! I would be exasperated when they kept making disastroud relationship mistakes. But it shows how two people can have totally different lives and personalities but still be the only one each other wants to spend time with and wants to talk to. I so wanted that romantic scene where they realise they are meant for each other and fall into each others arms, and did feel slightly disappointed when it wasn't there, but then I think that would have been too predictable maybe? They had grown up together, knew each other so well that perhaps it WOULDN'T be some great declaration. I was so happy when they did get together and seemed to be settling down, and when Em died I genuinely put the book down and cried. I can't remember any other bookd that have made me do that. They were soulmates and now one had gone. I loved the way the last period after her death was interspersed with the details of what they did the morning after when they first met, the climb to Arthur's seat. And that it was Dex who went after Em to get her phone number. So if you got the impression that it was always Em who was keeping in touch with and chasing Dex over the years, then that seemed to show he wasn't all bad, he could be nice as Em used to say.

This book should be up there with the classics for the emotion it wrings from you, and I will treasure it.

The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
The Devil Wears Prada [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Hollywood film, 10 Sept. 2012
I only saw this film on DVD the other day. From what I had heard it was all going to be Meryl Streep, but whereas she makes the film (otherwise it would be one of many romcoms), she isn't in it as much as I thought. It is much more Anne Hathaway's character on screen most of the time. While you cannot argue with Meryl Streep's performance, I thought Emily Blunt as Emily, Miranda's first assistant, was the best in it. Her downtrodden panicking bitchiness was brilliant. Anne Hathway is just the girl next door type and the whole film reminded me very much of Pretty Woman (although without the dubious subject matter of the latter!)in that the ordinary girl finds herself and gets to glam up. A very watchable film, not challenging, very cheesy in parts, sort of predictable, lovely locations.

Playskool 39343 Cool Crew Dusty the Talking Vacuum Toy
Playskool 39343 Cool Crew Dusty the Talking Vacuum Toy

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 20 Jan. 2012
It may be a great toy if it's in your own language, but I ordered it (I'm in the UK) and it was French. Yes, the"talking" on it was in French. Nowhere on the description did it say it was in French. So I would advise getting it from somewhere where you can check what language it's in to avoid completely confusing your 2 year old before he/she can even talk English.

Paul [DVD]
Paul [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny movie about aliens that isn't corny, 20 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Paul [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film, very enjoyable and held my attention the whole time. It's not a cheesy movie about a little green man, the alien is very cool and funny and the supporting cast are great.

Russell Kane - Smokescreens &  Castles Live [DVD]
Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD]
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 18 Jan. 2012
Having seen Russell on TV and especially on I'm a Celebrity (don't shoot me!) I find him incredibly funny and very intelligent and articulate in his comedy. Have never really seen a stand up routine. While I realised that his delivery is very quick and energised, I found that I can only take him in small doses if that makes sense! With no paused or seemingly intake of breath, Over an hour of this delivery is too much! Being an Essex girl I love his mickey take of Essex people and life however. And I have to say that it was a very personal routine and very brave and honest of him to take the mickey so mercilessly out of his Dad i.e. showing him to be a cold, hard, prejudiced man, but you really got a sense of what his Dad was like, but he was HIS Dad and he loved him, and when he revealed at the end that his Dad was dead I shed a tear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2012 4:10 PM BST

Olly Murs
Olly Murs

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite surprise, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Olly Murs (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of the two singles Thinking of Me and Please Don't Let Me Go and was pleasantly surprised. I like all of the songs, only 1 or 2 I would say are mediocre. In a way it is an old fashioned album in that they haven't taken this young guy and given him all this hip hop urban modern stuff. How refreshing is that! Nor is it all cheesy over the top ballads like Westlife. The slower ones are actually good. The album is very melodic and catchy and I just love Olly's voice, he puts real expression into the songs. It's not all reggae either. It's an impressive debut definitely, all the more so as he is from the X Factor camp. Plus it appeals to all age ranges I think (I'm in my forties) and not just young girls. Onwards and upwards Olly, you should get the recognition for this album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3