Profile for G. Donoghue > Reviews

Content by G. Donoghue

G. Donoghue "Gary" (Mistley, Essex. UK)

Out Loud: 36 Twisted Tales (Funny Short Stories Book 1)
Out Loud: 36 Twisted Tales (Funny Short Stories Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews for Out Loud from the Shortbread website..., 6 Feb. 2013
Having just read one of these superbly written stories via the Shortbread website I thought you'd be interested to know what other people thought as well...

"Brilliant Pete, Great dialogue and well described, you nailed women precisely, see my wife. Well done, keep it up. Yours SW" Sandy Wardrope

"captivating story...sweet narrative...wonderful ending!" Stan-collins Ubaka

"great narrative, great style, fast, suspensful and a humdinger of a twist in the tale." Oscar Ranzo

"Loved this one. Well- written and I was totally sucked in!" Denise Melville

"This story added a smile to my day! Very nice story and very good writing. Well done." Dorothy Spruzen

"Absolutely brilliant. I am actually stuck for words it was that good." Moira Prentice

"Lovely twist and so well written. It kept me guessing all the way through." Ann Smith

"An anticlimax? Yes, but such a relief! The build up was fantastic and my imagination was running riot with Linda's. A well crafted, humorous story and the touches of darkness made it quite compelling. Thanks Peter." Valerie Ball.

"Lovely. No words wasted. Great build up and neat twist. I can already hear it on the radio. Thank you." Sheena Robertson.

"Beautifully balanced between the initial character sketch, the nature of the relationship, the inevitable weakening and the killer punch line. Respect, Peter." Bill Kirton

"Very nicely done! What a true picture of the human mind. Reminds me of the Bluebeard stories. Thanks, Peter." Ingeborg Alde

"I did not like either of them. But I wasn't meant to. They were so human! What a stroke of genius this story was. Makes one think of the nasty things in one's own life. Good job. And the narrator was just the one for it. Thanks to all. Patsy R Liles":

"Brilliant!" Dickson Telfer.:

"Thanks Peter, Loved this story and a great ending. More please." Meg Malpass.

"There's nothing more calculated to peak your curiosity than to be told something's there, but you mustn't look at it, especially if the request to leave it alone is repeated a few times, and then to add, "...you might not like me..." Great stuff! David knows his friend all too well I think. Well done." Jay Leffew

"As someone who has reverted to son and hen, as forms of address, for family and friends. I enjoyed this. I have walked away from many people thinking, who the hell are they, they must be one or the other. I think you showed it well here." John Slater.

"Here is an example of why this rating system is almost useless.....an excellent story that is deserving a higher rating. The ending, which we might have guessed except we were so properly set up with the "political correctness thing" Well done. A fine listen!" David Green

Fur And Gold
Fur And Gold
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fur and Golddust, 24 July 2007
This review is from: Fur And Gold (Audio CD)
Bat for Lashes (aka Natasha Khan) and her fellow musicians have produced something beautifully, mesmerically unique with 'Fur and Gold' - yet the influences are there for all to hear...from the Bjork like voices on 'Trophy' and 'What's a girl to do' to the PJ Harvey utterances on 'Sad Eyes' which is moving to the point of tears. Khan has an incredible, touching, emotive voice with magical range but it was the musical layers that set this apart and made me sit up and listen...I'd not been this transfixed since Radiohead's 'OK Computer' and I often felt Khan's arrangements were up there with some of the best from that album. Easily the best thing I've heard this year...a wonderful talent.

Sweet Liberty
Sweet Liberty
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Liberty, 30 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Sweet Liberty (Audio CD)
The new album is simply superb - another astounding and mesmerising result picking up from where the first eponymous 'Cara Dillon' album left off. 'Where Are You' with its 'hidden' verse and fabulous cut between the Uillean pipes and Cara at the end, 'Broken Bridges' with Seth Lakeman's plucked violin and those bells ringing at the end of 'Falling Like a Star' - sounds of exquisite, poised, beauty indeed amid so much to cherish. And of course: Cara's voice. Glorious.
'Sweet Liberty' offers a lot more of Sam and Cara's own work, much of which was played on their 2002 tour.
If you're a fan of Cara then you'll adore this. If you haven't heard her yet then buy the first album 'Cara Dillon' too and be converted. Forever.