Profile for Bernard Jauregui > Reviews

Content by Bernard Jauregui

Bernard Jauregui "Ximpal" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
This Is All Yours
This Is All Yours

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuff said, 4 Nov 2014
This review is from: This Is All Yours (Audio CD)
A colleague recently said to me that there were no new ideas in modern music. I had just bought 'This is All Yours' and played it for him. Nuff said

Dihl Mini Portable Air Dehumidifier, 500 ml, White
Dihl Mini Portable Air Dehumidifier, 500 ml, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Works really well in enclosed spaces., 29 Oct 2014
Works really well in enclosed spaces, and is capable of filling its half-litre tank every day.
Too noisy for a bedroom and the tank is too small for large, or very damp, environments.
Would recommend for camper vans and utility rooms.

5 x Interior Dehumidifier
5 x Interior Dehumidifier
Offered by buyabargainuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for cupboards, 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: 5 x Interior Dehumidifier
Good for cupboards and pantries.
Will not remove condensation from windows, or work in rooms.

Montezuma's Spice It Up Dark Chocolate with Ginger 100 g (Pack of 4)
Montezuma's Spice It Up Dark Chocolate with Ginger 100 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 28 Nov 2012
I received this as a gift and wondered what the fuss was about another Ginger flavoured dark chocolate (I already love the Green & Blacks one).

Wow! All I can say is that Montezuma have produced a taste extravaganza. It is the pure quality of the ingredients that shine through.

You must like that fruity Ecuadorian chocolate flavour and really hot ginger - This is not a bar for the faint hearted.

"Doctor Who Dalek Face Masks, pack of 6"
"Doctor Who Dalek Face Masks, pack of 6"

3.0 out of 5 stars Child Sized, 2 Nov 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I shouldn't complain really, but at about a quarter of the size of a 'real' Dalek's head these masks are not very convincing.

You get two each of three different designs.
They don't fit adults.

But they were cheap and I ended up using them as table decorations.

HP COMPAQ CQ2870EA Desktop (Intel Core i3-2120T Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows Home Premium)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Real Desktop, 2 Nov 2012
I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the packaging and found that most of the case is just blanked off.

No proper power supply, no internal disk mounts and zero expansion potential.

Basically, I think this is a laptop motherboard stuck into a desktop PC case.

The power supply is an external brick and all the external expansion slots are just stamped into the thin metal for show.

I felt pretty ripped off, but Amazon's refund policy is why I shop with them so much and I was able to exchange this empty box for a proper computer within three days.

Adafruit Pi Cobbler Breakout Kit for Raspberry Pi
Adafruit Pi Cobbler Breakout Kit for Raspberry Pi
Offered by DIRECT 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Solder Project, 22 Oct 2012
This makes a great little first project for learning to solder. It took me about twenty minute to work it all out, build and test.

I am sure that the finished product will be very useful for protecting the pins of my GPIO connector, but not sure how much breadboarding I will be doing now that I can solder :)

Stanley 192855 Standard Saw Horse Twin Pack
Stanley 192855 Standard Saw Horse Twin Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 22 Oct 2012
I specifically bought this saw-horse because it specifies the maximum load capacity (445 kg load capacity).

Using a pair as trestles for a table top one of them collapsed within ten minutes of assembly.

The problem is the plastic shelf, which is held in place with four plastic tags. In my case, all four ripped off, allowing the legs to splay outwards. Luckily, no-one was nearby to be hurt.

Another problem with the shelf is that it is not rigid, but folds easily, allowing the horse to close if pushed from side to side.

I will be sticking to metal folding trestles in future as these tend to have locking struts.

TomTom Car Kit for iPhone (Compatible with iPhone 3G & 3GS) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and it works perfectly with iPhone 4S, 21 Oct 2011
I was a bit skeptical about a car kit for my new iPhone 4S, Specifically: Would it drop off the windscreen? Would I be able to hear it? Would it be too fiddly to use?

As it turns out, it performed perfectly. It is well designed and a cinch to install.
The combination is almost as good as a dedicated TomTom device, the down sides being that having a heavy phone suckered onto an inverted glass surface is always going to be a bit precarious.

I am using TomTom's own satnav software, so did not see any warnings about 'App not installed' that other reviewers mention.

On the plus side, the volume and clarity of the audio instructions were great - the software takes care of fading out the music.
I still have to test the audio out socket with the in-car radio.
The cradle's built in GPS aerial is a sure improvement over the iPhone's.

So why not five stars? Well the price for a start compared with a stand alone unit it is a bit much.
Also, I keep my iPhone in a protective case, which needs to be removed when fitting it into the cradle.

My main criticism would be of the TomTom software, which is a lot more fiddly on the iPhone, than it is on a dedicated device.

Head First iPhone and iPad Development: A Learner's Guide to Creating Objective-C Applications for the iPhone and iPad
by Dan Pilone

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for Starting Out, 13 Sep 2011
I started learning to program for iOS nine months ago and have read several introductions to Objective C and iOS. Head First is definitely the best if you are starting out from nothing.

There are two reasons that this book works so well:

1) Xcode is a very graphical development environment (IDE) and this book is dripping with screen shots and illustrations.
2) The authors have been very clever in breaking down the subject into bite sized chunks.

Objective C and Xcode are very complex and large subjects and this book will not turn you into a professional iOS developer, however it will get you to the point where you can turn your own ideas into working apps.

Unfortunately, Xcode is evolving rapidly and many of the illustrations in the second edition are already out of date. With each iteration of Xcode this book will become more confusing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3