Profile for Cork Boi > Reviews

Fast Exercise
Fast Exercise
by Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars Less is more, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fast Exercise (Paperback)
I found this book to be excellent. It strips down exercise to its bare essentials - so stripped down that there isn't much to this book. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more to it.

I exercise regularly (5 times a week.) I run (5 kms up to marathon), competed in martial arts tournaments, weight lifting etc. Due to work commitments and having a young family I don't have the luxury of spending hours each day exercising.
I undertook the HIT part of this book to replace my running/cardio. Due to a calf injury I have not run properly since December. Previously I would run 3 times a week for 30-40 minutes per run (using a variety of runs: LSD, Thresholds, Fartlek,etc.)

After 4 weeks of only HIT (doing 3-6, 20 second bursts), i ran the 12 minute Cooper Test and I matched my previous Personal Best. My resting heart rate is now in the mid 40's and my VO2 max is 53mg/l (estimated from the Coopers Test). At this point in my life Fast Exercise is perfect. I wouldn't use it to train for a marathon, but thats ok as I'm not running one any time soon. It's not sports specific but it will keep you very fit.

Einstein once said make everything as simple as possible but no simpler. I think 3 X 20 seconds is a good example of that.

Connects2 CTVFOX001 Ford Fiesta, Escort, Mondeo, Focus OEM Aux Input Adaptor Interface
Offered by BASS JUNKIES - Wolverhampton

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install Aux, but pricey., 5 Jun 2013
This creates a badly needed audio jack for the Ford Focus mark 1 radio. It’s very easy to install (once you know how to remove the radio) just plug it in at the back and away you go. I can now use my ipod to play music in the car. I had an FM transmitter but to be honest they don't work consistently and you can get a lot of interference - so I had to go for an Aux input.
I brought this as it is cheaper than retro-fitting a new radio to the focus.
There are 2 things I didn't like about this product:
1. it’s quite overpriced £28, I believe the price has more to do with the lack of competition than what actually goes into making the product.
2. It works by convincing your car that the Aux is part of the CD multi-changer unit. However the controls on the car radio don't feedback to the ipod: i.e. you can't skip back or forward. This can be annoying.
Overall it’s cheaper (just) and easier than retro-fitting a new radio.

Barbell Disc Plate Weight - 2 x 10 Kg
Barbell Disc Plate Weight - 2 x 10 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Sep 2012
This is my third time ordering 10 kg plates from amazon. I have previously ordered York weights. They are perfect for the job and they were cheaper. So they are a better buy.
My postman actually "effed" me out of it when these arrived and asked me to stop ordering weights so I will probably stop after this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 11:35 PM GMT

York Heavy Duty 2" Squat Stands
York Heavy Duty 2" Squat Stands

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't stop the squat., 23 April 2012
These are great: they are well made and solid. I stopped doing 2 legged squats years ago as I couldn't lift the required weight on to my shoulders. I had compromised by doing lunges instead.
You need a flat surface and some extra weights to "anchor" the rack. I'm already after having to order more 10kg plates as my squats have gone thru the roof.
Other uses:
You could also use this for bench press but you would want it very well anchored, there are holes in the base plate for screwing it into the ground if required.
I also use it for Inverted rows which is an awesome exercise, if you are not doing these then you better start, excellent for the back.

My Kitchen Table: 100 Easy Chinese Suppers
My Kitchen Table: 100 Easy Chinese Suppers
by Ken Hom

4.0 out of 5 stars Good simple recipes, hard to read when you are cooking though., 12 Mar 2012
This book is a collection of Ken Hom's receipes from his other books. All the receipes are short and don't require a lot of technical know how. I am very happy with this book even though i have quite a few of these receipes already. It is a very small book and therefore is easy to bring around. However as the book is so small and paperback it can be difficult to read when you are in the middle of cooking a dish. You usually have to pin it open under 1 or 2 paper weights and as the pages are quite small its easy to block part of a the receipe. This can be fustrating and means that the first time you cook a dish you usually leave something out or mis-time a stage.
All in all a good buy and very reasonably priced.

Authentic RDX Knee Cap Pads Protecter Brace Support MMA Guard, Large
Authentic RDX Knee Cap Pads Protecter Brace Support MMA Guard, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for MMA, 5 Mar 2012
These pads are good, I use them for MMA and find they really save your knees especially if you do a lot of wrestling style takedowns. The one issue I have is that I find I have to constantly readjust them inbetween rounds. I am happy with the size of my pads but I took a gamble when I ordered them and I wish the company provided better sizing info for their products.

Authentic RDX Elbow Pads Protecter Brace Support Guards Arm Guard MMA Gym Padded Sports White
Price: £9.18 - £16.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing issues, 5 Mar 2012
I ordered these as a size medium. When they arrived they were huge:they could easy fit on my knees as opposed to my elbows. Although I am only 5 foot 7 in height i have stocky build: I wear large size knee pads.
I don't know if they sent me the wrong size pads or if the sizes are very large as there was no size information on the packaging.I contacted the company and they didn't have any smaller sizes in stock so they gave me a full refund when I returned the pads.

Authentic RDX Gel Flex Fight Shorts UFC MMA Cage NHB Grappling, Medium (31" - 32")

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 22 Nov 2011
My first pair of true MMA shorts. Previously i have worn my old thai boxing shorts but they didn't last too long. I bought these because the reviews were good and they were a lot cheaper than some other brands. They fit well and allow my legs to kick, mount, guard and sprawl unimpeeded. They have had several washes and no fading (not that that would bother me).
The only negative is that i find the waist tie string very long and therefore a little annoying: I might remove it altogher but i want to see if the velcro will last first.

100% NATURAL LATEX TUBES, Columbia-Bookfest®Power Cords Resistance Bands 11pc Set, Ideal For Home Fitness, Yoga, Pilates, Abs, P90x & Workout with workout guide. Part of the Columbia-Bookfest® PowerCord products.
Offered by columbia-bookfest

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant secondary gym., 7 Sep 2011
HI
I brought these as a significantly cheaper alternative to a cable machine. You can do the same range of exercises as a cable machine with these. However for some exercises the range of motion and resistance is slightly different to the cable machine. So if you can afford a cable machine then good for you.
I am very happy with the product. I'm surprised just how much resistance you can create. I weight 73kg and can Bench 87kg and Deadlift 155kg so I would be considered strong for my size. Although free weights will always be my primary resistance training method, I really like these and they will come in very handy when I need to workout on holiday or on the road with work.

They are so cheap in comparison to any other resistance equipment that you'd be mad not to buy these, especially if you are starting out. I plan to buy these as a present for my brother as he's on the road a lot too.

*Update, May 2012* I just noticed that the reviews for this product vary a lot, it seems to get most negative reviews from people doing PX90 style workouts. I don't know what PX90 is, but these bands are my primary training tool for resistance exercises that requires a twisting motion (e.g. wood chops, swords) and assisted chin-ups (I attach a band to my chin-up bar, which I then stand on so I can work on endurance). I very occasionally use it as a secondary gym when I am on the road. You can create serious resistance if you double over the band and stand well away from the anchoring point so that the is tension in the band even before you start pulling.
I did notice the stitching in one of the handles start to unravel after a few months, but all I did was stitch it back myself, took 5 minutes.

Gymnic Heavymed Medicine Ball
Gymnic Heavymed Medicine Ball
Price: £8.60 - £29.35

4.0 out of 5 stars tough enough, 7 Sep 2011
Hi
I use this ball to work on explosive power drills (slamming it repeatedly off brick walls and concrete floors). It has stood the challenge well and shows no signs of damage. Its soft to the touch and has a nice grip, so its non-slip even when wet. I bought the 4kg ball.
I'm subtracting 1 star because the 4kg ball is only available in bright pink, which means that I'm uncomfortable using it in the public park. The heavier balls should be more neutral or "manly" colours to avoid embarrassment.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 11:29 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2