Profile for lady of mann > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Knit Your Heart Out: Over 30 ways to knit a heart for someone special
Knit Your Heart Out: Over 30 ways to knit a heart for someone special
by Bente Presterud Rovik

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, yes. Deceptive, yes. Useful, perhaps., 3 April 2013
This is an attractive book, with good illustrations of pretty projects, although inevitably given the title they are a bit "samey". Deceptively titled, because to finish off many of the hearts with edging or embellishments you need to be able to crochet. I get very frustrated with knitting magazines and now books which purport to be knitting and then include crochet, very often for the very project you wish to undertake. It's the one craft I really can't master and I know I am not alone. Nevertheless this could be a useful book, if you can find other ways to finsh off the hearts,(experienced knitters and sewers probably can), as it gives basic patterns, suggests how you can design your own and may well spark your imagination. I would suggest that it is currently over-priced compared with other craft books.

Make Your Own Soft Toys
Make Your Own Soft Toys
by Rob Merrett

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit different., 25 Feb 2013
I'm always a bit sceptical about purchasing newly- produced craft books and I usually like to read some reviews first, but I took a risk with this one and was pleased I did. The patterns and ideas are a bit different from the usual and I am already adding some to my list of impending projects! The instructions are clear and the toys are split into sections with recommendations for babies, toddlers, etc. These are flexible though. A worthwhile purchase to add to your craft shelf.

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear and readable exposition., 25 Feb 2013
I bought the book rather than the Kindle version so that I could refer back to sections, lists and recipes more easily (being of a generation that still likes the printed word). The scientific explanations are easy to follow, the writing is clear without being patronising and there are very useful lists of calorific values and some recipes. I would have welcomed even more recipes and meal ideas, but I'm sure that someone else will fill that gap! Above all, the diet seems to work!

A Sprig of Lavender
A Sprig of Lavender

2.0 out of 5 stars Far-fetched., 25 Feb 2013
This is really absolute twaddle -- farfetched and unbelievable. I finished it only because I was stuck at Manchester airport for four hours! The author has tried to create a feisty heroine, out of keeping with her times, to make her more interesting, but she only partly convinces and some of the plot turns border on the ridiculous. The historical detail about carriages or food is laid on a bit thick too. As a cheap Kindle read, I suppose it's okay, if you like that sort of thing, but I wouldn't bother with the book ---- there are far better historical novels out there.

The Villa Triste
The Villa Triste
by Lucretia Grindle

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing eye-opener., 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Villa Triste (Paperback)
I am so pleased to have discovered a "new" author to enjoy. This book, bought as much for its setting as anything else, was in fact a convoluted and gripping thriller,as well as an instructive read on a part of European (indeed Italian) history, about which I was shamefully ignorant. The characters are empathetic, varied and convincing and the diary device doesn't seem contrived, which is an accomplishment in itself. Okay, the ending does tie up rather a lot of loose knots, but one question of identity remains unconfirmed to nearly the end of the book. I kept pinching time from the housework to read a bit more! I am now looking forward to reading the rest of her novels.

Stash Happy: Appliqué
Stash Happy: Appliqué
by Cynthia Shaffer

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing., 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Stash Happy: Appliqué (Paperback)
I am kicking myself for having bought this book. I thought it would inspire me to use up all those bits of fabric in my stash that need ideas and inspiration,but it was so disappointing.It is reasonably helpful on the techniques, but the projects are dull with nothing new. I would not recommend it and my advice is to search carefully; there are better and more attractive craft books out there.

Cupcakes!
Cupcakes!
by Lynn Koolish

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Cupcakes! (Paperback)
Cupcakes are so fashionable that I was really looking forward to making a variety of them in different materials, but in the end I found too little to inspire me. Perhaps it's the American background to the ideas that is off-putting or the specific crafts featured. If you want to work with fabric or yarn, then I suggest you look elsewhere. One good thing ---- the patterns are included, although annoyingly some have to be enlarged on a photocopier.

Chic on a Shoestring: Simple to Sew Vintage-style Accessories
Chic on a Shoestring: Simple to Sew Vintage-style Accessories
by Mary Jane Baxter

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever-useful buy, 28 Dec 2011
Books claiming to help you be fashionable and creative whilst avoiding the credit crunch seem to be mushrooming at the moment, but this one has to be one of the very best. None of the projects is unwearable or extreme, all are easy to achieve and it really is likely that you will have or can find the necessary materials without a problem or too much expense. The style is cheerful with clear explanations to help even those inexperienced with a needle and thread.
With most craft books I find one or two projects I want to make with the rest of it ignored, but with this book I'm spoilt for choice and my grandaughter couldn't decide where she wished to start on her list of wants.
Definitely recommended.

Gentlemen & Players
Gentlemen & Players
by Joanne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever stuff!, 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: Gentlemen & Players (Hardcover)
This book was a delight; a murder mystery, thriller and school story rolled into one.It was my most enjoyable read in a long time. Granted, an insight into the world of education helped me to appreciate the amusing and all-too-accurate touches regarding schools and the people who work in them, but I found the deftly-handled double narrative method and the "chess game" format rewarding too. The links between the various components are controlled well and both main characters are sympathetic figures,even though one shouldn't be! The whole book relies on an assumption on the part of the reader, but, when you finally realise what is going on and kick yourself, all the pieces fall into place, the layered meanings of the title make sense and you can't help but admire the writer's consummate skill.

Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)
Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe Novel)
by Reginald Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars The layers are back!, 22 Jun 2002
Hill's recent novels have been variable in quality, always good, but some better than others. Arms and the Women was irritating, but On Beulah Heights was so well crafted with layers of plot that the television version was completely unable to match. In this novel he returns to that form, so that you are continually forced to review what you have read, to try and work out at what literal or metaphorical level an idea needs to be explored. I was never sure about who was having the jest and sometimes felt that any jest was at my expense! The emphasis in this novel is on Pascoe and I always like more of Dalziel and his lack of political correctness, but the characters of Wield and other underlings were also further developed in this book. I think it absolutely vital to have read the preceding book, although at times I began to feel that I hadn't read it properly, to have been so taken in, but I guess that was one of the jests!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3