Profile for F. McLean-Brown > Reviews

Content by F. McLean-Brown

F. McLean-Brown "Fred Bear" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Moments in Time: Photos and Stories from One of America's Top Photojournalists
Moments in Time: Photos and Stories from One of America's Top Photojournalists
by Dirck Halstead

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating photographs and stories, 3 Feb 2011
This a book that exceeded my expectations, I bought it for the photographs but found the stories accompanying them to be fascinating. The photos and stories cover a wide range of subjects and are not too in depth, but not too superficial. Dirck is a good writer and superb photojournalist, I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in subjects ranging from good photography through to an interesting autobiography.

JJC replacement for SONY RMT-DSLR1 remote commander: Works with Sony Alpha DSLR-A230, DSLR-A290, DSLR-A330, DSLR-A380, DSLR-A390, DSLR-A450, DSLR-A500, DSLR-A550, DSLR-A560, DSLR-A580, DSLR-A700, DSLR-A850, DSLR-A900

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with my A55, 17 Jan 2011
I was concerned if the item would work with my A55 as I know some do not. Initially it did not work but I changed the batteries provided with it for my own and it then worked. It does timer shutter release etc so I am happy with the quality of the item, but not the enlosed batteries.

Shooting Robert King [DVD] [2008]
Shooting Robert King [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Robert King

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see DVD - fantastic, 4 Jan 2011
The story of virgin freelance war photojournalist Robert King seen in the war zones through the lens of a video photojournalist with some modern interviews while waiting (and trying) to shoot deer while at his home in the forest. It covers his career from the early 1980's to 2008. I assume the parallel between being the target in all the areas he has worked and being the hunter at home was deliberate, even if not it worked well.

No book will have the impact this will have on you, it shows the danger, horror, and humour. I watched it right through and watched all the extras on the DVD (including one section of his stills photographs) which is something I have never done before. Robert King comes over as a thoroughly likeable, engaging, and honest person who is doing something most people would never consider, but that is still vitally important as a way of alerting to us to what is wrong in the world.

It made clear to me how important, undervalued, and generally underpaid the freelance photojournalist is, may there always be a Robert King to shock us out of our ignorance regarding how other people are having to live and suffer.

You must buy this DVD.

Alfred Stieglitz: Camera Work. The Complete Photographs 1903 - 1917
Alfred Stieglitz: Camera Work. The Complete Photographs 1903 - 1917
by Pam Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information and good to dip into, 29 Dec 2010
I took some time reading this and did a photographer or two at a time, some are a few pages while others are brief. I learnt a few things regarding composition and the background to some iconic photographers/photographs so would recommend this book. Some of the authors comments and opinions I found pretentious and (IMO) not accurate, but then how many people agree on the purpose and ideas behind a photograph? Perhaps it is of most use as a way of finding photographers that you want to learn more about, which it certainly made me do.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith [2005] [DVD]
Mr. & Mrs. Smith [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor film and no Pitt/Jolie chemistry, 29 Dec 2010
I had high hopes for this film but apart from lots of shooting it just does not work. There is no chemistry at all between Pitt and Jolie and the film falls flat because of that. If you get it cheap it will pass an hour or two but overall is not a good film considering the big names that star in it.

Sony Alpha SLTA55V.CEH Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Sony Alpha SLTA55V.CEH Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Price: 528.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A55 is the camera I have been waiting for, 29 Dec 2010
I will not ramble on or quote anything technical as I am a photo hobbyist and just wanted the benefits of a dSLR with the benefits of a compact. There are a lot of professional reviews out there if that is what you need.

Viewfinder - is an EVF rather than optical viewfinder, which I prefer as you get a pretty good idea if things will be blown out or too dark, etc. Some people want optical but I prefer the compact style benefits an EVF offers such as shooting information such as you would normally only find on a dSLR rear screen. It automatically goes from screen to EVF when you bring it up to your face.

Video - is very good with constant auto focus (that is missing off many other dSLR's such as the Canon 550D). There is little option for manual set up for video but I tend to use it as a handy addition to a stills camera so am happy with what it does when I want video (using the video quick start button on the rear). Plus the EVF means you can video while looking through the viewfinder and getting the same view as the rear screen.

Articulated screen - is clear and turns to cover most shooting needs, not as articulated as some cameras have but pretty comprehensive for movement and the information you can view.

General controls - are good with an Auto+ setting that as well as having the normal normal auto functions includes HDR etc. The HDR/DRO button is handily placed on top alonside the main control knob that has the standard sort of advanced and beginner settings.

Size - is just right without the bulk of a 'normal' dSLR but with sufficient weight to keep it steady. I have a Sony 18-250 lens on it and the extra weight balances is nicely. With the small kit lens on it is a comaparable size/weight to a number of bridge cameras.

Photo quality - is almost as high as the 550D I used to have (although I am not a pixel peeper) and way higher than any compact or bridge camera especially in low light/high ISO.

GPS - is not particualry fast but it will use the last acquired position so if you are not moving far or are moving inside you can still geotag even if the position may be slightly off.

Battery power - is not brilliant so I bought 2 extra non Sony batteries on Amazon for about 13 each Ex-Pro Sony NP-FW50, NPFW50 High Power Plus+ - 2 Year Warranty Replacment Sony Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Sony NEX-3, NEX3, NEX-5, NEX5, Sony Alpha A-33, A33, A-55, A55, there are cheaper ones but these seem to last about the same as the Sony one.

Vs bridge and compact - I still carry a small pocket compact but do try to carry the A55 as much as possible. Unless you are buying a bridge camera for some huge zoom function I would definitely recommend an A33 or A55 as the overall quality and versatility in low light and/or indoors is way ahead of any bridge camera. Buy a cheap mid or long zoom compact for good light and an A33/A55 for other photography (even if you only get the short kit lens) as the difference in anything other than good daylight is very noticable.

General comments - the best camera purchase I have ever made, although I appreciate the purist may not like it compared to a normal dSLR. The quality and convenience give me the perfect combination of dSLR quality with some of a compact/bridge benefits. I highly recommend it and am happy I got the A55 rather than wait for some improved (and more expensive?) A77 some time next year.

Under Fire [DVD]
Under Fire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Nolte
Price: 3.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Good acting and good story, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Under Fire [DVD] (DVD)
Do not expect fantastic quailty as the film is about 25 years old. Acting is excellent and the story is good, basically about a photojournalist covering the largely US financed civil war in Nicaragua. Not a particularly complicated plot but I enjoyed watching it if only to show how dollar politics will always come before common humanity.

Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 29 Dec 2010
I have not noticed a big difference in battery life between this and the original Sony battery (which for a Sony product I would not decribe as brilliant). I now have 3 batteries for my SLT-A55 and do not know which is in the camera from the amount of battery life I get. I got 2 non Sony batteries for less than the cost of one original, there are cheaper ones around but these seem pretty good and work fine.

Samsung WB650 Digital Camera - Black (12MP, 15x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch AMOLED Screen

2.0 out of 5 stars WB650 GPS dissapointment, 26 April 2010
I bought the WB650 as an upgrade to my Panasonic TZ5, but wish I had not.

The positives with the camera are the 15X zoom, and the clear rear lcd, the photo quality is about average for this sort of compact camera.

If like me you are buying it for the GPS tagging then do not! Even in open spaces the GPS acquire time is so slow I can never get a signal before I have actually finished taking photos. It can pick up a signal if left on long enough, but most photo situation do not allow you that luxury. It may not be so bad if you could lock the camera to the last location so at least when you switch the camera on and off it could use the location until it acquires the signal, but it does not.

Samsung help on their site is useless, and queries to them get a standard response that offers no help. Very poor support, and very poor GPS, especially when I have a fairly cheap car GPS that acquires a signal within seconds when I had it alongside the camera (out in a wide open park, not in a car!).

I would not recommend the camera unless you do not need the GPS, then you might be better with the model below this, but you still get poor support from Samsung.

Update - 29 Dec 2010
I still have the WB650 but am still of the same opinion regarding the GPS function and Samsung non existent support. It is is a perfectly good compact camera but there are a lot of ones just as good and a lot cheaper.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Only occasionaly working, 7 Feb 2010
The item itself seems ok and does taste a bit like smoking a ciggy. Unfortunately the USB charger is crap and often does not charge the battery. Emailed Smart Smoker to complain but no answer. So I have an item I can use for a minute or so at a time. Impressed with the e cigarette, but not the non existent customer support offered by Smart Smoker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5