Profile for F. McLean-Brown > Reviews

Content by F. McLean-Brown

F. McLean-Brown "Fred Bear" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
X-Loop 095 Ski Sunglasses - 2012/2013 Model - New with Labels - UV 400 (UVA & UVB)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price but a bit small, 26 May 2012
These were at a good price and I do tend to lose sunglasses regularly when I do search and rescue. Either I have a wide face or these are a fit designed for unisex so trying to cover women's and men's different face sizes. I found them just too tight across the frame so although they look fine and are good quality next time I will buy sunglasses that are clearly for men.

Karrimor Waterproof Gloves Mens Black Extra Lge
Karrimor Waterproof Gloves Mens Black Extra Lge

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice warm waterproof gloves, 26 May 2012
I bought these as a cheaper alternative to my Sealskin gloves that I lost (to carry when doing search & rescue). Although not as close fitting they are nice thick comfortable gloves. Perhaps more suited to cold weather they have a nice high cuff and a clip fitting to hold them together. Very pleased with the quality which I suppose from karrimor is to be expected. Would also be good for cycling, motorcycling, etc as they have a smooth material area on the back of the thumb, I assume to wipe rain off a visor. They were at such a good price I bought 2 pairs and will buy the same make again if I lose these!

Ultra-Max All in One Digital Battery Charger - Recharges NiMH/ NiCD Batteries
Ultra-Max All in One Digital Battery Charger - Recharges NiMH/ NiCD Batteries
Offered by NORMANS OFFICE
Price: 9.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this charger, 26 May 2012
I bought this charger for my D size batteries (for my maglite torch), it was cheaper than some others, which was perhaps my mistake. It does not do anything other than show red lights all the time, no indication that it is charging or has charged the batteries. The batteries I had on charge all day and at the end of the day they were very hot and had started to melt around the + terminals. There appears to be no auto cut out and I would say it is dangerous to use. The batteries were the correct type and I also tried eneloop AA size which also got just a continual red light. I will now pay the extra and get a well known brand charger with a cut out, safety is worth the extra money. It would not let me leave no stars, but the item is not worth the one star I had to give it to do a review and warn others of the potential safety issue.

Also no reply yet from the seller 'Normans Office' but it has only been a few days since I complained.

Neewer RM-S1AM Shutter Release Timer Remote Control for Sony Alpha, Minolta 9/7/4/9xi/7xi/5xi/800si/700si/600si/500si/XTSi/HTSi Plus/STS, Konica DSLR Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 7D/5D/DiMAGE A2/A1/7Hi/7i/7/5 and Film SLR Camera
Offered by Happy Sales UK
Price: 13.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good value item, 28 Mar 2012
I was unsure when I bought this instead of the much more expensive Sony item. it does all i want including timed photographs, a series of photos at timed intervals, etc. A really handy item that (I think) does everything the expensive one does, the only slight downsidwe is no on/off switch so i keep the batteries out of the item when not in use, other wise it would have got 5 stars.

Invero Replacement Battery Pack for Sony SLT-A65V
Invero Replacement Battery Pack for Sony SLT-A65V
Offered by Invero
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value replacement, 28 Mar 2012
I bought one for my A65 and it shows battery % left and seems to last pretty well for the price. Handy to have in your camera bag as a cheap and reliable back up. I cannot think of anything negative to say at this price.

Frankie's House [1992] [DVD]
Frankie's House [1992] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Iain Glen
Price: 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and worth watching, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Frankie's House [1992] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this about a year ago and had not even taken it out of the wrapper. I assumed that a 10 year old made for TV series would be something to only watch on a rainy day. That day came and I pretty much watched it straight through. It is not a classic high budget war film but I found it interesting and well acted, knowing that is based on the photographer Tim Page made it more enjoyable. It is by no means an in depth view of the Vietnam war but does show the problem of a photographers personal view impacting on objectivity. I have since bought a couple of Tim Page books so it must have made some sort of positive impression on me. I enjoy books and films/documentaries about combat phtojournalism so my view may be coloured by that, but I will watch it again and would recommend it.

Fire in the Wind: The Life of Dickey Chapelle
Fire in the Wind: The Life of Dickey Chapelle
by Roberta Ostroff

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and worth reading, 30 May 2011
One of those books that makes you wonder what you have done with your life when a woman like this just went ahead and did what she wanted with drive and perseverance. What a fantastic advert for guts and glory, putting herself time and time again in battle situations. She obviously had a strong death wish tied to a love of danger that could only have one outcome. If you like reading about adventure then this is a good book, regardless of if she was a knowing or unknowing CIA operative you have to admire her and the people she wanted to photograph. Without photojournalists like this most of what happens in war would remain hidden, it is often a photograph that changes minds and opinions more than any amount of video/film.

At the end I wanted to see more of her photographs, so I can only assume that the book and (more importantly) Dickey Chapelle made the right impression.

Fur - An Imaginary Portrait Of Diane Arbus [DVD]
Fur - An Imaginary Portrait Of Diane Arbus [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 5.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor, or is it me?, 30 May 2011
I know it is meant to be a tribute/fantasy, but with Kidman, Downey, etc in it I did expect a film worth watching. It is weird, strange, and decidedly offbeat. If you are expecting a film remotely about the real life of Arbus forget it, if you like fantasy, and Kidman in 50's style clothes and hair then it might be worth watching because she has to be one of the most beautiful/sexy actresses there is.

I know some people will like it being strange and i have to admit it is well acted by all concerned, very well filmed, just mot my kind of story line, but it may be yours.

Because it is well acted and well filmed I have given it 3/5, perhaps it is my fault for not being capable of appreciating the story line and ideas behind it.

National Geographic - Most Amazing Photos [DVD]
National Geographic - Most Amazing Photos [DVD]
Price: 11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stories behind the photos, 3 Feb 2011
Each amazing photograph is a short story about the photographer, the technical problems with their chosen shoot, and about the photograph itself. Some are more interesting than others, I found the one about Pakistan to be particularly enlightening, but none of the films will be disappointing. It is beautifully filmed and up to the quality you would expect of something produced by National Geographic.

Moments in Time: Photos and Stories from One of America's Top Photojournalists
Moments in Time: Photos and Stories from One of America's Top Photojournalists
by Dirck Halstead
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating photographs and stories, 3 Feb 2011
This a book that exceeded my expectations, I bought it for the photographs but found the stories accompanying them to be fascinating. The photos and stories cover a wide range of subjects and are not too in depth, but not too superficial. Dirck is a good writer and superb photojournalist, I would recommend this book for anyone who is interested in subjects ranging from good photography through to an interesting autobiography.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6