Profile for lcaperry > Reviews

Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
by Julie Bruton-Seal

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish this book was twice the length!, 24 July 2014
Just the best book on herbal / hedgerow medicine you will find. Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal's style is informative, engaging and humorous as well as being incredibly inspiring. I would read this book at night - it's as good as a novel - and hardly be able to wait to get out into the countryside with my scissors and basket the minute I got up in the morning. I'm not anywhere near a herbalist, just a lay person with an interest and a science/botany background, and I know of several plant / flower remedies that definitely worked for me so I am interested to try more.
I think it particularly appeals because the advice is so believable, from Julie's personal experience from years as a herbalist, in contrast to other books which appear to have been put together by a commissioning editor. Julie describes actual case studies like treating someone in their family; she also notes which remedies are gentle enough for children. The range of conditions for which each plant is recommended to be used is also believably narrowed down - again other books tend to list a random assortment gleaned from sources ranging from Pliny to Culpepper to folklore, some or all of which may be hearsay.
My only reservation is the inclusion of the preparation and use of flower essences (not many recipes mentioned - self-heal and three or four others from memory) which is not something I personally have much time for, being all scientific and rational and that, but even I began to wonder whether I'm wrong after reading it here.
Finally, the photos are beautifully shot, the margin notes informative and there are actual recipes! With doses! Wow.
In summary, I wish this book was twice the length, it's so readable. Definitely recommended.

Potty Training In One Week
Potty Training In One Week
by Gina Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, logical advice, worked for us, 18 July 2014
I'm Pro-Gina on the understanding that she is a professional and most of us using her books will be mothers (so she does have a style that is suited to getting the job done and this may feel a bit protocol-driven or restrictive for some mums). That said I actually love a protocol, so we followed her advice, almost to the letter, except of course the putting the child on the potty every 15 mins for 5 min at a time which is just going to drive you both berserk, and our 26mo daughter took about 3-4 days of hit and miss then has been dry almost all the time ever since, so it really worked beautifully.

As with most things parenting, most of the mountain is YOU feeling confident, and having read the book and ticked off that you are ALL ready (and it is a team effort, partners!), you will hopefully feel able to tackle what can be quite daunting.

Having decided that by guidelines in the book our little girl was ready (apart from not always doing what she is told :), and got the potty and toilet seats etc. ready ages in advance so they were familiar, we then bought some bright, clear girl's potty training books and having read the books together she just said 'I want use potty'. We asked if she was sure, she insisted so we went to the shops there and then and bought her big girl pants and we were off. First 48 hours I did wonder if we had jumped the gun - the front room carpet will never be the same - but suddenly it clicked and she was able to go every time we put her on the potty and hardly ever in between times. Especially useful: writing down every time your little one 'goes' so after a day or two you will feel you know how often to pester them about it. This gives you confidence, you relax, your child won't become irritated by being constantly asked, it all goes better. Second, do just have a bucket of laundry soap in water ready to chuck the wet ones in and another bucket with a cloth and some disinfectant or floor soap. Thirdly, if it doesn't seem to be working, don't get angry with Gina, just give it a little longer and dig into those reserves of patience and humour.. there will be a solution to almost all the problems you might hit and the book has a good section containing a lot of those problems all solved e.g. reverting to untrained, being unable to manage to poo except in a nappy.
In summary I recommend this book whole heartedly but you must follow the instructions and don't rush your child. Ignore peer pressure is the best advice ever. Good luck!

Princess Polly's Potty: A Ladybird potty training book
Princess Polly's Potty: A Ladybird potty training book
by Andrea Pinnington
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute pics, well thought out, we loved it, 18 July 2014
My 26mo daughter loved this book while potty training and still requests her 'Princess Potty book'.
The story that Princes Polly thinks it's OK for baby sister to have nappies but she wants to be more grown up, like the rest of her family, is something kids could easily relate to. The pictures are really cute but clear so don't mystify what is going on in the potty! We especially liked the 'Cheer' button, useful on all sorts of potty-training related occasions :) There are pages of potties and pants to help Polly choose from which is fun like shopping.
As well as the basic training messages which are nicely reinforced e.g. keep on trying, practice pulling her pants up and down (don't laugh it's an essential skill :) the book covers that it's fine to have accidents and she is still trying very hard and a clever girl; and also - and I think more unusually - (and sorry about this) that your little one might find having a poo in the potty much more difficult to adjust to when she has been used to using nappies but that's ok. This might really help some kids. The book ends on a high note that Polly will now be able to teach baby sis how to use the potty when the time comes.
Overall nicely thought out and beautifully illustrated. Recommended.

Girls' Potty Time (Dk)
Girls' Potty Time (Dk)
by DK
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely produced and well thought out, 18 July 2014
My 26mo daughter loved this book when potty training. It is all in rhyme so gets her attention and with pics of other girls to identify with. However it's not all fairy princessy which is good as she doesn't identify with that particularly. The pages have lots of different interesting things to look at all reinforcing the simple messages, and it has the usual brilliant DK production values. The stickers were fine but we bought a bunch of separate ones anyway as there is only 1 sheet, and made our own chart. The toilet seat shaped front cover was funny but not a real selling point, I did wonder whether she would get confused and try and actually sit on it (lol). We especially liked 'the girls don't need their nappies any more, they've put them all away', that seemed to strike a chord. The book covers travel potties which I guess is unusual, having an accident (so normalises this) and trying the big toilet too so plenty of precedent for your little one to copy. Recommended.

First4Spares 12 Cup Glass Jug For Bodum Cafetières / French Press Coffee Makers (1.5 Litre)
Offered by First4Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the 'official' product!, 18 July 2014
Fits my ~116mm La Cafetiere holder perfectly. In fact better than the 'La Cafetiere' version I previously bought (for what is now twice the price). Did not have to loosen screw much to slot it in, then just gentle tighten.

Nice thick glass, again unlike the 'official' version which was thinner & broke really quickly.

In summary, half the price, fits better and better quality than the official product. Also was delivered quickly and well packaged. Definitely recommend.

Staedtler Triplus Fineliners 20 Assorted Colours With Magic Zip Pencil Case 334ZPC20 (Pencil case color may vary)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink fades fast, 23 Jun. 2011
I am going out on a limb here as all the other reviews have been positive and I don't think anyone else has mentioned this before, so perhaps I am expecting too much of the product!

Anyway while the pens are lovely to use, nibs are fine enough for detailed work, and the zippy case is fun, in my experience the ink seems to fade _really_ fast in sunlight (indoors). So all will be fine if your work is in a closed notebook, but if your masterpiece goes on the wall or is just left on the kitchen table for a couple of days, it seems to practically disappear before your eyes!

As these seem like semi-professional pens and it is a good brand, I am surprised the ink is not more light stable.

Apart from that, they are a good product, so if this won't matter to you, then I would recommend them.

South Africa Glovebox Atlas ~ Map Studio (Road Atlas)
South Africa Glovebox Atlas ~ Map Studio (Road Atlas)
by Map Studio
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Glovebox companion to go with a GPS, 29 Mar. 2011
Used this atlas on a recent three week mainly self-drive trip to SA covering Cape Town, the wine region, Garden Route, Escarpment and all the way over to the Kruger.

A useful and clear map, accurate as far as our experience went, but would not have been enough for navigating on its own - definitely best accompanying a GPS system, and we found ourselves using the car hire firm's free maps to fill in the gaps too. However to be fair, also v useful for when the slightly unreliable GPS in SA occasionally leads you astray!

Could have done with just a bit more detail on some of the towns, e.g. only the northern half of CT was covered in detail, and a higher res section for the Garden Route, but overall pretty good for orientating yourself and general route planning, distances etc.

Pig Shaped Dynamo Pump Up Emergency Torch Super Bright LED Flashlight
Pig Shaped Dynamo Pump Up Emergency Torch Super Bright LED Flashlight
Offered by andys emporiumcouk

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute - and saves on batteries, 29 Mar. 2011
Bought this little pink pig torch for my niece. Everyone knows that kids love torches for reading under the duvet, hunting frogs in the garden, telling ghost stories and so on but the batteries are so expensive... especially when the torch is left on by accident! Well, this is the perfect solution.

I don't know how robust it will turn out to be, although it seems well made - and the pig design is very cute and appealing, the light (looks like LEDs so will be very energy efficient) is good strength and the dynamo action to charge it quite possibly even constitutes exercise. The only thing to note is that very little hands might have trouble gettting to grips round it to charge it but it can be done two handed, or given to the nearest grown-up!

Definitely recommended as a fun gift for kids.

Duronic Apex Digital Display Wind-Up Solar Powered AM/FM Radio Alarm Clock Torch Phone Charging Function - NEVER NEEDS BATTERIES
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and sturdy little radio, 29 Mar. 2011
I bought this radio to use in my shed or while working in the garden. Despite its small size (would fit in your coat pocket) it packs a hefty punch on volume with no loss of clarity of sound. It feels well made and has a pleasing soft touch finish and attractive design. Reception was good and I live in a patchy area even for FM. It is easy to use (once I discovered the second 'on' button...) and has kept a charge since I bought it on solar alone. The torch is also handy for those 'trying to find where I left the secateurs as dusk falls' moments! I think it would make a great gift for a gardener, and although I would put it under cover if it started raining, I would definitely try taking it to the beach, fishing, on a picnic etc. Plus there's the distinct pleasure of never having to worry about expensive and shortlived batteries - feels like you're getting something for free for once!

Ecozone Moonlight, Energy saving LED Night Light, 3 year guarantee, costs less than 1p per week continuously on

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly for a year so far - very happy, 1 July 2010
Updating review after a year's use. Have been happy to find it has not given any trouble (as per some other reviewers' experiences)

Summary:
1. good looks, very slim, completely unobtrusive
2. we use it at floor level on the landing in case one of us gets up in the night, and it is just the right light level for safety without being disturbing (I wouldn't think it would be too bright in a child's bedroom, yet the light is strong enough for you to be able to go in to check on them without tripping over teddy)
3. green light not bad, some people commented it was a bit spooky but I find it quite a gentle, computery glow

We sometimes turn it off during the day, although you are supposed to be able to leave it on constantly.

I definitely recommend it for other insomniacs on the hallway or stairs !

Page: 1 | 2