ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Profile for Mr. M. P. Lewin > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. P. Lewin

Mr. M. P. Lewin "M Lewin" (Oxford, England)

Page: 1 | 2
MySQL Performance Tuning for the Novice to the Expert (Technology Quick Guides)
MySQL Performance Tuning for the Novice to the Expert (Technology Quick Guides)
Price: 2.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, even considering the low price, 31 Mar 2014
This is little more than a (very short) checklist of the author's suggested settings for the MySQL settings, all of which appear rather arbitrary and are not explained or justified in any way. They do not take into account different requirements for different workloads, or emphasize the importance of profiling and benchmarking. You'll find a lot better advice on the MySQL help system (although you might have to root around for it). Failing that, read "High Performance MySQL" by Schwartz et al.

The New Uncanny
The New Uncanny
Price: 1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A cornucopia of the weird, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The New Uncanny (Kindle Edition)
I've kind of lost interest in the horror short story genre recently, despite having been an ardent fan in the past. Too many writers these days try to impress by either being overtly visceral, or by writing in a "stream of consciousness" style that I find extremely off-putting. The overwhelming majority of these tales manage to convey a deep sense of unease without trying too hard to be "clever" or just plain sick. Thoroughly recommended.

Omega 3 Fish Oil 1400 Mg, BURPLESS, High Potency 900 Mg EPA+DHA 90 Day Supply! | Enteric Coated For Max Absorption w/ No Fishy Taste | Molecular Distilled, Contaminant Free (1 bottle)
Offered by House Of Goods
Price: 16.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplement I've Tried!, 6 Mar 2014
I have been taking Omega 3 Fish Oil for years to address a number of health concerns, so I was already sold on fish oil being a really effective dietary supplement. However, usually that comes with a couple of minor, though irritating side effects: bloating, wind, and a nasty taste in my mouth. A friend suggested that I tried this variety and I am happy to report that I now get all the benefits without the unpleasant side effects I suffered with other brands.

Worm: The First Digital World War
Worm: The First Digital World War
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story, well told, 20 Feb 2014
This is an excellent account of the advent of the Conficker worm and the guys who went to such great efforts to keep it contained. Have they been successful? Only time will tell.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel full sooner, feel happier too, 8 Jan 2014
I'm normally sceptical about diet supplements, but this is great. Not only do I feel full quicker, but I also feel less like eating. I'm not sure whether this is a side-effect of the supplement, or just the result of eating less, but I feel much happier and less anxious than usual too.

Of course, neither of these benefits would make this product worth buying if it didn't help me lose weight, and this is the big shocker for me: I've managed to drop 6lbs in just over a week without making any changes to my diet or exercise routine (hmmm... wasn't much of a routine there anyway)!

Green Coffee Bean Extract GOLD - 100% Pure PATENTED Fat Burning Ingredients | 800mg Serving, ~ 50% Chlorogenic Acid | Weight Loss Supplement using Pure All Natural Veggie Capsules with ZERO Fillers, or Artificial Ingredients
Offered by House Of Goods
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical but ...., 9 Dec 2013
Yes, I must admit I was skeptical before I tried this product. Having wasted plenty of time and money on various dietary supplements in the past, I wasn't expecting a great deal from this one. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised and here's why.

I was going to take it AS a dietary supplement. You know - diet and take the pill at the same time. However, I somehow "forgot" about the "diet" bit, but I did manage to take the pills. And it wasn't until I went for a routine medical procedure, that I realized I had somehow lost 10 pounds, two weeks after I last weighed myself. Two weeks further on, I had managed to lose another 7 pounds and the weight keeps coming off, despite my inability to be strict with myself about what I eat.

I'm not even hesitating about ordering a second lot of SVETOL, because this has got to be the single easiest way to lose weight I have ever found.

But what about the side effects? Well, I'm extremely alert throughout the day and I sleep well at night. I also have more energy than I have had for years. I don't know about you, but they are side effects I can live with! Highly recommended.

The Falsification of History: Our Distorted Reality
The Falsification of History: Our Distorted Reality
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, disturbing and...who knows? Maybe even true., 18 Nov 2013
It would be very easy to dismiss this book as just another nutty conspiracy, but there's something about the reserved tone of the author and his constant exhortations not to trust him but to investigate his claims for yourself that lifts it above the usual dross peddled in this area. A good read, but often a disconcerting and depressing view of the world that you probably won't thank him for sharing with you. Still, if you would rather know what's really going on, then you owe it to yourself to at least consider the possibility that everything you have been told to date is lie, and this book provides more compelling arguments than most.

A Beginner's Guide to AutoHotkey, Absolutely the Best Free Windows Utility Software Ever!: Create Power Tools for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 ... 8 (Second Edition) (Windows Tips and Tricks)
Price: 2.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to an amazing tool, 18 May 2013
Autohotkey is amazing. There is loads of info out there about it, but it tends to be reference material and you need to know what you are looking for to make use of it. Jack Dunning gives you a high level view of what you can do with Autohotkey and some basic pointers. Just enough to get you thinking about neat ways to apply it to your own way of working and to know where to start. It is well written and his enthusiasm for Autohotkey is contagious. The only minor point for me was that the formatting (in the Kindle version) changed dramatically half way through, but this did not spoil the enjoyment or usefulness of the book. Autohotkey is addictive and if you've already succumbed to its charms this book will not help you break free. Instead it will give you plenty of ideas for other uses for this remarkable tool.

Cygwin Simplified:  30 pages of Cygwin in 30 minutes
Cygwin Simplified: 30 pages of Cygwin in 30 minutes
Price: 2.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful intro, 16 May 2013
This is a great little introduction to a useful tool. It covers a lot of ground in a few pages, which is just enough to get you up and running and give you ideas about what you could use Cygwin for. My only criticism is that the formatting is a little untidy. It could do with proper sections and a table of contents but, being such a short book this is not a huge issue. Good job.

One White Crow
One White Crow
by Roderick Millington
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly absorbing..., 10 Nov 2006
This review is from: One White Crow (Paperback)
This is an extraordinary book and one which, if the evidence was not there right in front of your very eyes (ears?) would be tempting to discount straight away.

However, listen to the CD which accompanies this book and you'll see straight away that Mr Millington is onto something very special here. Unlike the many supposed examples of 'Electric Voice Phenomena' I have listened to over the years, most of which are vague and indistinct, the reverse speech samples presented here are clearly audible and very convincing.

I was so impressed by them that I asked the author to analyse a recording of my own speech and the samples he presented were every bit as plausible as the ones in the book. I'll never be able to forget hearing the words "Jackie here, how are you?" spoken in the voice of a lady acquaintance (missing, presumed dead) somehow fashioned from my own, I hope, more manly tones!

Mr Millington relates his own discovery of and experiences with what he calls 'Meta Speech' throughout the course of the book which, combined with the audio samples, makes for fascinating reading. He is an engaging writer and he tells a fascinating story very well indeed.

I can thoroughly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2