Profile for E. K. Hirst > Reviews

Content by E. K. Hirst

E. K. Hirst "Ed" (Hebden Bridge)

The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World (Vintage)
by David Abram
Price: 9.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of wider academic readership, 2 Dec 2008
As a classicist I found this little book totally revisoned my understanding of early Greek 'literature.' Traditional approaches to Homer, for example, are usually divided between the radical Parryists (an almost extinct bunch named after Millman Parry) who analyse the poems for formulaic patterns and produce detailed statistical data for occurences and repetitions, and those who rebel against this trend claiming it devalues Homeric poetry. David Abram not only made me realise that Homer must be understood in relation to oral poetry, he taught me what it means to understand oral poetry. I also found his ideas shaping my awareness of the early Milesian presocratics, especially Anaximenes.
Of course, Abram's arguments have been weaved together from a wide variety of sources. Being a classicist I was already aware of the work of Eric Havelock and Walter Ong to whom Abram is deeply indebted. But it is this eclectic mix of ideas that makes this book a fresh and dazzling experience in a crusty old subject.
Being also interested in recent studies in cognitive science, I was overjoyed to see that George Lakoff and Mark Johnson' 'Philosophy in the Flesh' culminates with a brief description of Abram's ideas.
For those wanting to read more Abram, check out the website for the Allinance of Wild Ethics, though this remains his only book to date.