Profile for E. Campbell > Reviews

Content by E. Campbell

E. Campbell "excellentwyldstallyns" (Scotland)

Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD which is perfect for a busy schedule, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD] (DVD)
I first got into Davina's workouts when I bought "Davina Fit", and although I liked that DVD, I do prefer this one. For starters, each section is very specific to one area of the body. There is also no messing about, as the moves are intensive. Despite each section only lasting around 15 minutes, I always feel like I've had a good workout.

I bought the DVD as a way to build up my muscle strength, while I was getting over a shin splint. I never do the cardio, because I run 3 times a week. But every day I squeeze in 15 minutes of core, legs or arms. I was relieved that my shin splint hasn't been aggravated at all, or my knees which have been problematic in the past. I simply do the 15 minute routine, and then get on with everything else I have to do.

As always, Davina is chatty, friendly and self-deprecating. She admits that the workouts aren't easy, and this makes you feel like it's okay to be struggling at times!

The only thing that I didn't enjoy was the short stretch section at the end (I love the longer, relaxing stretch). The short stretch is really challenging for me, because of the leg section. You are supposed to do hamstring, hip flexor and abductor stretches in quick succession, all while standing. I much prefer sitting on the mat to do these stretches because I have weak knees (and often, after a workout, shaky legs!). I just switch off the DVD and do my own 5 minute stretching.

All in all, I would still recommend the DVD because it fits into a busy schedule so well. I am working full-time, and still easily fit in 15 minutes a day.

The Complete Vegan Kitchen
The Complete Vegan Kitchen
by Jannequin Bennett

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 5 Mar 2010
I'm a vegan who loves to cook, especially trying out new recipes! Vegan Kitchen isn't really my kind of Cookbook though. I've had great success with the choc chip cookie recipe, and a vegan cream cheese recipe. However, some of the recipes are for little nibbles and sides, or are needlessly complicated. I made one recipe, for butternut squash pasta that was actually inedible, too! Because it's American, I find a lot of ingredients seem unobtainable in Scotland too.

I have other cookbooks with far more practical and economical meal ideas. I would recommend Vegan Planet instead, I have never made a recipe that didn't turn out perfectly from it. Although it probably seems that I loathe Vegan Kitchen, there is a tiny amount of great recipes in it. Ideally, it should be more reliable and diverse.

CAT BEHAVIOUR ANSWER BOOK, THE: Practical Insights and Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions (Answer Book (Storey))
by Arden Moore
Edition: Flexibound

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not definitive, 5 Mar 2010
The Cat Behavior Answer Book was most certainly written by someone with an in-depth knowledge of, and love for, our feline friends. However, I did find that the fact it is American leads to some disadvantages. The view that most cats should be indoor-only doesn't really apply to a lot of Britain, where as far as I am concerned cats can roam safely. Although I do have an indoor cat, that is the product of living in a city, with a *very* busy road nearby and I do believe cats enjoy having freedom outside. The author doesn't agree with this view, and the book is aimed at indoor cats, as far as I can see.

Don't let this put you off though, there is lots of advice about noisy cats, cats with litter tray problems (quite a large section), and all those feline stresses. I found it good advice for my slightly troubled cat, being that I rehomed him and all his problems!

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Personal Workbook (Covey)
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Personal Workbook (Covey)
by Stephen R. Covey

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful companion, 5 Mar 2010
I purchased "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Personal Workbook" to accompany the regular text, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". Using the two books together has been very effective for me. The workbook lets you know which pages of the original book to read before completing its exercises. The activities it asks you to carry out help to extend the messages of the habits, and it offers practical suggestions for how to apply the habits (and self-reflection) within your own life. Unless you were very familiar with the 7 Habits, the workbook wouldn't be too good on its own though. Covey's writing is enjoyable and clear, and in my opinion steers clear of being saccharine quite nicely.

If anyone wonders what exactly the 7 Habits is about in the first place, it is largely concerned with changing one's principles and negative habits in order to bring about happiness and success. (By which I mean lasting, deep happiness, and not temporary satisfaction). If you have an inherent sense of morality and good (whether religious or not), and a belief in your ability to constantly improve, then give it a go!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC DVD)
Offered by Digizoneuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment, 12 Jun 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I can't help but feel that Oblivion has been shifted away from the market of intelligent gamers, and towards casual gamers and even children. The major flaw is that *every* single quest creates a marker on your compass. You just go to the marker and talk/kill/take random item. Seriously, you don't even need to waste your time reading the dialogue. Most quests are also filled with *obvious* hints, or should I say directions. You are told exactly what to do. In the precursor, "Morrowind", it would be easy to get lost on the map, but in Oblivion, they've went way too far in the opposite direction.

Also incredibly unrealistic is the fact that enemies become progressively tougher to fight as you level up. The same guards that were slightly challenging at level 1 will be slightly challenging at level 40. You don't get the rewards of being able to cut down a huge army of goblins with no effort, because they'll be just as difficult to kill.

It seems that Bethesda isn't trying to make a good product, simply a good seller.

Dungeons and Dragons
Dungeons and Dragons

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Dungeons and Dragons, 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Dungeons and Dragons (Toy)
Dungeons and Dragons is a famous roleplaying game, which is a lot of fun. The drawback is that the hardback rulebooks are expensive and complicated. For a beginner it can seem daunting to invest so much money in something that may prove impossible to learn.
But help is at hand! The Dungeons and Dragons Boardgame appears to be there for the aspiring D&D enthusiast. It is a simplified version of a more complex system, encompassing the main elements of the real game.
One player adopts title of "Dungeon Master", controlling the Monsters and Traps within the Dungeon, while any other players take control of the four characters provided. There are miniatures and boards to demonstrate the action, as well as cards which illustrate items. The Dungeon Master's Manual has pre-set Adventures which can be played out in sequential order, and ample rules. To seasoned D&D veterans, the action may seem diluted and bare of roleplaying, but if it enthuses players then I see no harm in it. Perhaps a good introduction for children, although it takes some intelligence to comprehend the rules.
As a side note, I actually bought this game just to take advantage of the well-modelled plastic miniatures that accompany it. There are four Player Characters, and a horde of monsters including undead, goblins and bugbears.