Profile for MC Griffiths > Reviews

Renovating For Profit
Renovating For Profit
by Michael Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good book!, 22 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Renovating For Profit (Paperback)
I picked up this book a few months ago at an exhibition about renovating and building your own home. The author, Michael Holmes, was there and I watched him give a talk about home improvements. He did seem knowledgeable but I've also seen him on TV, presenting Who Owns Britain's Best Home?, so to be honest thought maybe he was just a TV personality putting his name to a book as opposed to a real expert. But anyway, I thought I'd give it a go as I was about to start renovating my post-war semi.
To cut a long story short, I was very impressed with this book. It had a lot of tips beyond the obvious advice I've read in property magazines and online. When you've never renovated before, it's an incredibly daunting experience, and I found this was a real hand-holding guide - but much more besides. It takes you from the stage of complete beginner to expert (I hope!), with lots of advice about how to maximise your investment. It's built up my confidence so much that I was originally just planning to renovate - I'm now adding on an extension!
My only criticism is that it's a little pricey. I paid the full £25 but I wish I'd come on here and gotten it at the reduced price. However, I would say that it was £25 well spent, and will save me 100 times this in the long run! Thank you Mr Holmes!

The Others
The Others
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but give them a go., 9 April 2005
This review is from: The Others (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this CD, I admit, I thought it was awful. But determined to give them a go, I listened again and then a third time. By then I nearly loved it.
Dominic doesn't have a good voice, make no mistake about that. But if you look past that and the fact that it is all a bit rough around the edges, then, once you've accepted it for what it is - and that it's not about being nice to listen to - you might just start to appreciate it.
How anyone can critisise lyrics like: "Then you helped me out - you gave me a break, a break from the boredom. I quit my job,
I took a gamble, a gamble on a new life.", "You need some way to be free that's not just a dream." and "I never wanted to lose you in the way that I did. I didn't know myself, and I kept it well hid." is completely beyond me. This is music with feeling that doesn't take itself too seriously.
The Others aren't for everyone, but if you give them a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Doctor Zhivago [DVD] [2002]
Doctor Zhivago [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been so much more, 5 May 2003
This review is from: Doctor Zhivago [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This series was beautifully shot and costumed and ‘looked right' in every way, but it was by no means perfect. My main problem with this version is that it was too rushed. Perhaps another episode in between would have remedied this. Another problem was that we didn't get to hear any of Yuri's poems. Though perhaps the director felt the programme would not have flowed together well, amidst the action, if they had been included.
Most notably, Sam Neill was brilliant as ever, as the evil, manipulative Komarovsky. However, this was expected and shouldn't particularly be accredited to the series. Hans Matheson and Keira Knightly were more than satisfactory, though perhaps not quite perfect for the starring roles. Knightly is certainly beautiful enough and Matheson attractive and thoughtful. But both actors seemed to lack a certain passion. A passion that should have made you convinced of their genuine true love. However, I failed to see why Matheson chose Lara over the sweet, kind, vulnerable Tonya, beautifully portrayed by Alexandra Maria Lara. Kris Marshall was good as a young boyish Pasha, but was almost laughable as the worldly experienced, bitter Strelnikov. In Marshall's defence, his character was not developed nearly enough for this transformation and his charmingly boyish looks didn't quite fit the part. Daniele Liotti, on the other hand, matured very well as Misha, though his part was minor.
The first episode stood out the most. It mostly wasn't rushed and it flowed quite nicely. In particular, Yuri's initial infatuation of Lara, when he spotted her through the window was touching and Komarovsky's seduction of Lara was extremely well played.
In the final episode, it is heart breaking viewing Yuri's vision of his son through the window. (I'm guessing it's the same window he first spotted Lara through) Matheson also played his death well enough to stir some emotion.
The biggest praise goes out to Ludovico Einaudi, for the exquisite score. Perfect in every moment and a world apart from the irritating "Lara's theme" from Lean's film. In moments were the stars' acting ability wasn't up to scratch, Einaudi's score pulled it back up. 10 out of 10 to Einaudi.
I got the feeling that this series could have been so much more than it was. It could have been spectacular. But, though the money was there, perhaps the direction was not? As it is, the series, though unsatisfactory in many places, is definitely worth a watch. Played the same weeks as Daniel Deronda (though on different nights) the two have been subject to much comparison. Dr Zhivago is, unquestionably a better story that obviously had more funding. However, Daniel Deronda had its better points. It wasn't rushed… it flowed along beautifully. It was also flawlessly acted.
In spite of Doctor Zhivago's downfalls, the amazing and deeply touching story is still there and sometimes, it really is moving. Sam Neill's performance alone is worth watching. I would sit through it again, but I'd be constantly willing for it to reach its potential. Something it never quite does. However, I still can't bear to score it less than 7/10, if only because I can imagine what it could have been.

Romeo and Juliet (1968) [VHS]
Romeo and Juliet (1968) [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning piece of cinematography, 4 Nov. 2002
I brought this film last year, after vague memories of having adored it when I saw it as a youth. It is simply stunning. I have seen it about 10 times this year and every time I am inconsolable. Never has a death scene provoked me into such a state of emotion as this one. Hussey and Whiting make a beautiful pair. My only complaint is that some of the lines have been cut out. eg from the balcony scene. Also, the end was a little rushed, but it keeps my emotions running high, so is not necessarily a bad thing. The scene where they meet at Capulet's ball is very well done. However, I am a fan of happy endings and everytime, I just want it to end happily!! The excellent soundtrack is also worth a mention.