Profile for Angela, ACT, Australia > Reviews

Content by Angela, ACT, A...

Angela, ACT, Australia

Beyond Fear
Beyond Fear
by Dorothy Rowe
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now fear free, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
I'd been suffering from depression, severe anxiety attacks, amongst other things on and off for 14 years when I first picked up one of Dorothy's books after a referral from a friend.
The way Dorothy explains how and why you've construed your desperate defences, is like turning on the light in a dark room. She explained how I'd built my defences in order to protect myself from my fears, defences I didn't even know were there.
She KNEW the lies I'd told myself in order to keep myself safe, she KNEW that I felt as though these matters were life and death and she KNEW how to make it clear so that I could work my way out of the darkness.
I had tried countless times over the years to have someone really understand what I was trying to say, to really understand what I meant when I described how I felt and for someone to really understand how helpless I felt. Dorothy knew it all, all my lies, all my fears, even how I justified my routine purging day after day.
Her book showed me why I was afraid and how that filtered down into all my beliefs and ideals.
On one occasion I remember throwing the book at the wall, not because it was wrong but because she had hit a nerve that I'd never wanted to admit was true. How could she know this if she didn't know me? She made me confront why I was who I was and how'd I'd gotten there. She shows you that by being truly honest you give yourself the choice to heal and to free yourself from the feelings of powerlessness.
Her book conveys astonishing insight.

Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
by Dorothy Rowe
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The key to freedom, 29 Sep 2011
I'd been suffering from depression, severe anxiety attacks, an eating disorder amongst other things on and off for 14 years when I first picked up one of Dorothy's books after a referral from a friend.
At that time I had been depressed for almost a year, as cliche as it sounds, I'd forgotten happiness, the warmth of a laugh and never felt any consolation from friends and family. All those things just reminded me that there was something wrong with me.
However the way Dorothy explains your depressive state is so intuitive; it was like she was inside my mind. She knew how I'd built my defensive walls to protect myself from my fears. She explained how I felt down to the last goose bump of fear and deluded self hating lie.
Her book helped me see the reasons for my depression, my self abuse and for my defences and when you start to understand what has hurt you, you can start to forgive and when you chose to forgive you make the choice to heal.
Her books are truthful, insightful and intuitive. They cut through the lie that we all have a chemical imbalance and are doomed to live this life forever. There is no preaching and no promise of instant cures. Her books convey respect and understanding - which was exactly what I needed.