Profile for Christopher Starbuck > Reviews

Content by Christopher St...

Christopher Starbuck "Zang Starbuck" (Manchester, UK)

Varjak Paw
Varjak Paw
by SF Said

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and Deep too!, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Varjak Paw (Paperback)
I got the sequel to this first in a library sale and read it to my 5 year old daughter (who does kung fu and has a cat!) It was fantastic! So I ordered the first one off Amazon, and just finished reading it to her last night. She loved it too! As well as being a great story, well written, it touches on the while idea of some people thinking of themselves as 'purer' and more noble than other groups - as in Aryan Nazis and Jews. We are what we do, the story shows, not what group we're born into... Anyone can become Noble through kindness and bravery! The Zen-like wisdom was a great surprise for me too! And with Varjak's dream ancestor Jelal there's a nod to the great Persian master Rumi I suspect... :)

Antiques Of Scottish Music. Sheet Music, CD for Flute, Pennywhistle, Piano Accompaniment

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 21 Jun. 2013
I bought this a couple of years ago for learning tunes on the whistle. Now I'm using it for flute as well. Such wonderful tunes! And the music/recordings are great also. Couldn't be happier with it, it has enriched my life!

Women of Sufism: A Hidden Treasure
Women of Sufism: A Hidden Treasure
by Camille Adams Helminski

5.0 out of 5 stars Very deep and engaging overview of Sufism and Islam, 27 May 2013
I've read and re-read this book many times, and recommended it to other people. It explores female Islamic mystics through the centuries, with sources drawn from many authors and interviews. It's fascinating, you couldn't ask for a better overview of sufism I think, it goes way beyond simply giving a view of women. You see the depth and texture of different practices, woven across the whole world.

How Buddhism Began
How Buddhism Began
by Richard Francis Gombrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and thoughtful, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: How Buddhism Began (Hardcover)
I read this book 15 years ago when I was living and working in a Buddhist study centre in Wales. It's stayed in my mind ever since, and has shaped the way I understand Buddhism, and now many years later how I teach it to others. Something from it which particularly stayed with me was how, in Gombrich's view, the Brahmavihara's were not taught as a lesser goal or half-way house towards Nibbana, but were in fact another way the Buddha expressed his own Path, albeit using language chosen for people who themselves used the language of "Brahma". This is the central message of the book in fact - that the Buddha taught in a skillful, mischevious way, using people's own religious concepts but redefining them and pointing them towards actual practice and experience. The orthodox doctrines of Buddhism as we have them now are, in Gombrich's analysis, just a major subset of all the various, ingenious ways the Buddha tried to teach. It's quite possible that the Dharma as we have it now is not straightforwardly "what the Buddha taught", but is "what the Buddha taught to those who ended up preserving and propagating his teachings the most", if you see the difference! The bikkhus tended to come from backgrounds with particular ways of thinking which the Buddha melded his own understand to, and then after his death his bikkhus were left developing a religion alongside the development of Hinduism, and ended up stressing those aspects of the Buddha's words which clearly defined how Buddhism is different from Hinudism, selectively editing and narrowing the expressions of the Dharma - which was quite different to the Buddha's own approach, as Gombrich presents it.

Fascinating and freeing. The Buddha taught Love as a complete spiritual path!

Free Lunch: Easily Digestible Economics
Free Lunch: Easily Digestible Economics
by David Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Really hooked me!, 8 Sept. 2012
I ordered this book a couple of weeks ago because I have a a few weeks spare, and thought I'd use them to become more financially literate. It's great, I've read it over coffee by the seaside all week and I'm on the last chapter now. I knew really nothing about economics, and I'm surprised that already I'm understanding news articles and political speeches this week in a totally new way. Can't be happier with it, I recommend it completely to any beginner like me!

Universal 10 in 1 TV Remote Control Tvs, DVD, SAT, Hi Fi
Universal 10 in 1 TV Remote Control Tvs, DVD, SAT, Hi Fi

1.0 out of 5 stars this product is a fake!, 22 Feb. 2011
This product is a fake. It's branded as suitable for dvd etc, but I have one and there are no dvd controls, it's a very old model from the days of video. My guess is the two "good reviews" were by people using it for old tvs or videos, or are also fake reviews written by the seller really. Amazon should not be offering this product.

Ponyo [2 Disc Edition] [DVD]
Ponyo [2 Disc Edition] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki
Offered by Emjays Webstore LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it- perfect for young children!, 7 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Ponyo [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] (DVD)
I was delighted to receive Ponyo today, on its first day of release! I just watched it with my 30 month old daughter and she watched it fascinated all the way through, and straight after said "Again!" (unfortunately for her it was bedtime though...!) The visuals are stunning, truly beautiful artwork, taking your breath away again and again with so many visual surprises and a rich soundtrack accompanying it, operatic at times. The plot is simple and child-like- those few reviewers who have said it's not as good as some of his other plots, like Howls Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke etc, they're right- but that's not the point. My daughter is way too young to appreciate a Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away, but she loved Totoro and now loves this too. Comparisons aren't necessary, they're such different films.

Ponyo will delight children and any adult who wants to enter the world of children too... a world where no-one is surprised by a fish having a human face (except the one doubting old lady!)... and little boys get to be brave heroes on their own for a night!

Thanks Studio Ghibli for another lovely film

We the People: Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
We the People: Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
by John Jr. Buck
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, I'm loving it, I hope more people read it!, 26 Oct. 2007
I was shown this book by a friend in Switzerland- I'm trying to learn more about the Sociocratic method because we're using it in setting up the stucture of a new Zen Peacemaker Circle in Manchester, England. It's really fascinating reading about the history, the links with the Quaker business model, and with systems theory...

I hope more people read this book- I'm going to think a lot about how I could apply the approach in different areas of life, I'd love to see more businesses organised this way!

Zang Starbuck