Profile for Sloop > Reviews

Content by Sloop

Sloop

Mind Calm: The Modern-Day Meditation Technique that Gives You 'Peace with Mind'
Mind Calm: The Modern-Day Meditation Technique that Gives You 'Peace with Mind'
by Sandy Newbigging

5.0 out of 5 stars Google Maps of Self Help, 4 Mar 2014
I've only been through this book once so far (in 4 days, a record) but the best way I could describe it is the Google Maps of self help. It's clearly written in simple terms (why complicate), its perfectly set out & it just makes finding what you are looking for (you must be looking for something or why read the book) that bit easier to find. Actually it makes things that simple and uncomplicated you may find yourself slapping your forehead and wondering why you hadn't realised this before.

The mind Calm method it's self is perfect for me. Its a very unpretentious simple technique that can be done anytime, anywhere & by anyone no matter previous experience or beliefs. I have had experience of the technique before so I know how effective it is & how much it helps so many others.

Even after one read its a book that I'll enjoy going back to time and time again. Its not one that Im going to go back to because I struggle with the content & need to understand but because its an enjoyable read that I think will give me new insights time & time again.

Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking
Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking
by Kaushy Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars An orignal surprise!, 15 Feb 2013
I only received this book as although Im not a practicing veggie its generally all I cook when Im at home. I also like a bit of spice in my food & after reading the reviews already on hear took the plunge.

On first look I was a bit dissapointed as there didnt seem to be that many straight forward curry receipes..But then I had bought this book as I thought the receipes were going to be something original so I can't have it all ways :-) Anyway I could read through the book time & time again or I could actually have a go at making something then make my mind up. Im so glad I did! I decided to invite all the housemates (so cooking for 6) for a meal involving 4 of the recipes as well as some dhal. I cant remember all the names but I made rustic flatbreads (my mouth is watering as I think of these, will be making them again this weekend for sure!), quick spicy sweetcorn (my favorite), riata (yay, I can make a nicer one that my localy take away now!), Garlicky black chickpeas & potato curry (I thought this was going to be pretty bland and dry, how wrong I was).

Every receipe was simple to make & really well explained. There wasnt a single bit of food left and the flatmates were still thanking me two days later! I cant wait to work my way through the whole book to learn new things and more importantly eat very interesting healthy food! Thank you...

Do Nothing!: Stop Looking, Start Living: 1
Do Nothing!: Stop Looking, Start Living: 1
by Mr Damian Mark Smyth

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on the Principles!, 12 Feb 2013
I've been interested in the 3 principles for the past year. At first it was the intellectual 'getting it' where as now I feel I'm 'living it' and feel amazing for it. I got this book mainly as I saw Jack Pransky had written the forward. Jacks book 'Somebody Should have Told Us' really accelerated my understanding of the principles, I felt it was written in an easier to understand way than say Syd Banks works. 'Do Nothing' has taken this even further and it written as if one of my mates was explaining things to me. So rather than grappling with understanding Damian storytelling has helped me come up with new insights and deepen my overall knowledge with minimum effort from me (if you enjoy something its easy, right). My take on the principles is why complicate something that is very simple & I'm glad Damians is the same. I'll now head back to Syds works and enjoy the insights I gain from them with my greater level of understanding..Thanks Damian.