Profile for John O > Reviews

Lament for the Living: Volume 1
Lament for the Living: Volume 1
by David Nicol

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely recommend reading, 16 Jun. 2013
I didn't quite know what to expect when I started reading Lament for the Living, but it's safe to say that since I finished it later that day, I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Furthermore, I found myself sucked right in to the story, which is probably why I really couldn't put it down. David Nicol employs an interesting narrative style that only shares a glimpse into each characters past, giving the reader an opportunity to relate/empathise with them, as well as filling in the blanks of the characters as you progress.

While reading, I was often surprised with the consideration to the finer details of a post apocalyptic world, considering the little things that make all the difference, many of which I'd never have considered if I were to write something similar. I feel David's balance between enticing you with the fictional basis for his story, as well as reinforcing the possible reality of the situation, makes for a compelling read overall.

As debut novels go, I was truly impressed with the quality of Lament for the Living, and would heartily recommend it to anyone who's looking for a well written novel set within a zombie/apocalyptic setting.