ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)

Profile for Shi > Reviews

Content by Shi

Shi

Conducting the Home Visit in Child Protection (Social Work Pocketbooks)
Conducting the Home Visit in Child Protection (Social Work Pocketbooks)
by Joanna Nicolas
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 17 Feb 2013
This pocketbook has been most insightful for me as a student going out in to practice for the first time. The examples provided are based on Joanna's own practice which bring the experiences to life. The useful tips and suggestions given for different circumstances I have found extremely beneficial. What I found most useful was the 'Good Practice' boxes, which not only remind us to be mindful of social work values and ethics, but to keep ourselves safe and remain consciously aware of the environmental risks for children living in the home. It is a brilliant book I can always refer back to, to remind myself of what to do in certain situations. I would recommend this book for all social care students conducting home visits for the first time.

A Beginner's Guide to Evidence Based Practice in Health and Social Care
A Beginner's Guide to Evidence Based Practice in Health and Social Care
by Helen Aveyard

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for beginners in social care, 23 Jan 2013
This book has been most insightful for me as a social work student undertaking a placement within social services. For someone with no experience in a statutory setting, the terms that are used have been confusing and at times difficult to understand. However, this book has helped me not only understand some of the everyday terminology that I just could not grasp, but has also given me the confidence that I now have the ability to use evidence based practice effectively and efficiently. The authors provide useful and practical tips to ensure my practice remains evidence based even when I become qualified, and explains things in a way that is easy to understand and digest. Moreover, the authors include research based on theories that have come in very handy for my academic work as well.
Very pleased with this book, recommend it to any beginner in the social care field.

The Good Research Guide: for small-scale social research projects
The Good Research Guide: for small-scale social research projects
by Martyn Denscombe
Price: 17.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Research Projects, 4 Dec 2012
Denscombe's guide to research has been most helpful for working on my dissertation in which I must complete a small scale research project. The book explains in perfect (non jargon!) detail not only the difference between strategies and methods, but fills in all the gaps in my knowledge about all the different strategies and methods that are used in small scale research projects, including the advantages and disadvantages of each. I myself will be using questionnaires for my research method, and have found Denscombe's information on this subject particularly helpful. Furthermore, I have been most anxious about the analysis of my research project, however with this book in hand there is no need for me to worry as all the information I need is there.

Report Writing
Report Writing
Price: 8.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Report Writing Pocketbook Review, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Report Writing (Kindle Edition)
This book is an easy to use guide that has provided me with the useful information I can carry with me throughout my social work career, with great tips that have been lacking on the social work Masters Degree course. I particularly find helpful the end summaries which bring the chapter together succinctly, and the good practice points and tips, as I am always conscious of ensuring my work meets good practice social work standards.