Profile for Peter Turner > Reviews

Content by Peter Turner

Peter Turner "peterturner7" (Australia)

Mighty Uke: The Amazing Comeback of a Musical Underdog
Mighty Uke: The Amazing Comeback of a Musical Underdog
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great fun!, 29 April 2013
This is a wonderful, potted history of a much maligned instrument. I will put my cards on the table right now: I'm a big fan who's learning to play. If you like the uke, you'll probably like this. If you don't like the uke, have a look; you might be converted.

3D Tardis Cufflinks
3D Tardis Cufflinks

4.0 out of 5 stars These draw attention, and attract favourable comments, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 3D Tardis Cufflinks (Jewellery)
As a bit of a Doctor Who fan, I love these. When I wear them to work they always draw attention, as well as favourable comments. If they were slightly smaller they'd be perfect . :-)

Top Of The World Tour Live
Top Of The World Tour Live

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great, 18 Feb. 2013
Not sure why I wasn't a convert to the Dixie Chicks a long time ago, but now I am. This is a great representation of the range of their music and they all look like they're having so much fun, as are the audience. Highly recommended. Enjoy!

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: Anarchy in the Ukulele
The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain: Anarchy in the Ukulele
Dvd ~ The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
Offered by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Feb. 2013
I ran across this amazing group of talented musicians on YouTube when I started to learn to play the up uke. They are my ukulele inspiration. Their versatility, humour and musicianship amazes me. I especially love their version of 'Wuthering Heights';. I will never be anything like as good as them, but I can dream can't I?

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys
Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys
by Michael Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 1 July 2007
I first read (and re-read) 'Carrying the Fire' as a teenager and enjoyed it immensely. As an adult I continue to enjoy it even more. Well written, easy to read and understand, it is simply the best of the genre. Add this to your collection, you will not be disappointed.

Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond
Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond
by Nancy Conrad

2.0 out of 5 stars With such a great character this should have been a great story, 1 July 2007
I really wanted this to be a good book; but I was disappointed. Like a couple of the other reviews of this book, I found the narrative style the author uses awkward and distracting. There are quite a few inaccuracies in the book, some of them really obvious. For example (and I apologise for sounding like a pedantic 'plane spotter') the photo of Pete Conrad on the ladder of an aircraft that is described as '...a T-38, a high-altitude supersonic jet trainer'. No it's not, it's an F-4 Phantom. In 'Carrying the Fire', Michael Collins descibes astronaut Conrad as 'One of the few who lives up to the image.' With a great character and a greater story how could you not write a great book? I really hope the next biography of Pete Conrad will be much better.

Songs You Know by Heart: Jimmy Buffett's Greatest Hit[s]
Songs You Know by Heart: Jimmy Buffett's Greatest Hit[s]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starting place, 22 May 2007
It's an understatement to say that Jimmy Buffett isn't all that well known in Australia. Nonetheless he has a few fans 'downunder' and there's even a fan club or two. Getting hold of his albums was not especially easy twenty years ago, but this one popped up at a record store and became my first ever JB album purchase. I appreciate that he'd been recording his songs since about 1970 (was 'High Cumberland Jubilee his first?) but, as I said, his work was hard to get hold of. This album has a great selection of Jimmy's classic songs and is an ideal introduction to his music for anyone who doesn't know who Jimmy is, as well as aspiring 'Parrotheads'. A great starting point for a Jimmy Buffett collection.

A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts
A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts
by Andrew Chaikin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts, 8 Aug. 2005
I completely agree with the broad sentiment reflected in the other reviews submitted for this outstanding book. Andrew Chaikin has done a mighty job telling the story of Apollo in an informative, insightful and highly readable fashion. If you know nothing at all about the moon landings then I suggest there is no better place to start than here. Similarly, if you know a little already and want a compact volume that eloquently tells the whole story, then buy this book. That said, I would have liked to have seen a little more of the story devoted to Apollo 7. After all, it must have taken a considerable amount of both courage and confidence for 'jolly Wally' and his crew to climb aboard and blast off. This minor criticism aside, I highly recommend this work.