Profile for Nyall Davies > Reviews

Content by Nyall Davies

Nyall Davies (Diss UK)

Man Slaughter - A Detective's Story
Man Slaughter - A Detective's Story

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiction and I felt it to be far fethched fiction at that, 25 Mar. 2015
I thought I was getting true information as to the life of a detective and inevitably the police methods surrounding an investigation. I found that it became more and more far fetched and turned out to be totally fiction and even the police methods are not first hand but taken from manuals. I felt conned. Sorry I don't rate this at all highly

Ferdinand Ries: Piano Concertos Op. 123 (1806) & Op. 151 (1826)
Ferdinand Ries: Piano Concertos Op. 123 (1806) & Op. 151 (1826)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy transaction no problems, 26 Nov. 2014
A good composer to discover if you've become to familiar with the other great composers of the time.

Cacharel - ANAIS ANAIS edp vapo 50 ml
Cacharel - ANAIS ANAIS edp vapo 50 ml
Offered by Arinza

5.0 out of 5 stars Good transaction no problems, 26 Nov. 2014
Came speedily and was what my wife wanted.

Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
by Richard Bauckham
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's of useful information, 5 Feb. 2014
There is a lot of useful information in this book. Richard Baukham proves that eye witness were involved in the writing of the Gospels. You can draw your own conclusions form the data he supplies. I found him somewhat confusing as he moved into discussing which John wrote the gospel of John and he could have produced a summary that sums up his finding rather than leave the reader in the air. I would still have bought it for the mass of useful information on the way through.

The Grand Design: New Answers to the Ultimate Questions of Life
The Grand Design: New Answers to the Ultimate Questions of Life
by Stephen Hawking

3.0 out of 5 stars It didn't answer what it set out to do, 2 May 2011
I found the book easily readable but didn't give me any new information. As a popular book it has to be simple and cannot go into much depth so I had already picked up what it had to say about quantum physics. Towards the end of the book it moves to using vague illustrations rather than proofs that the universe does not need a cause and to introduce M theory as something that could possibly explain things. He states that no one knows what M stands for and, having read the relavent parts several times I have little idea what it is. There certainly is no solid proof and the idea of gravity spontaneously generating something when there was no gravity is left so vague that I suggest M stands for myth. Stephen Hawkings is undoubtedly a brilliant scientist but the statement that philosphy is dead seems to be a statement of philosophy that suggests that he has moved from an unbiassed scientific.

ESV Study Bible
ESV Study Bible
by ESV Bibles

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Study Bible, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: ESV Study Bible (Hardcover)
The ESV is an excellent translation. I have never been fond of the NIV as it appears to deliberately turn sentences around to get away from previous translations that follow the order of the Greek text. The NIV is also a phrase for phrase translation and, as a result removes ambiguities or alternative renderings of many verses. These alterantives often have value. The ESV is a word for word translation and is thus more transparent, letting me see the original more clearly. I have been a user of the RSV for forty years and thought I would be continuing to use it. I have easily switched to the ESV. Authorised/KJ and NKJ users could easily do the same.
Those that have been brought up on the NIV will find it more difficult and may even think that the ESV doesn't read right.
The study notes are brilliant but make the book bulky and heavy. A small truck should easily cope with the weight. Going back to the study notes, I will give you an example. I have long since thought that the passage in Isaiah six, often headed 'the commissioning of Isaiah' is actually Isaiah's eaves dropping on a conversation within the Trinity and should be headed, "The comissioning of Jesus." I have never heard anybody preach this and am often looked on askance when I susggest it. It's there in the ESV study notes. These notes also have the advantage of being a relief from boredom during many sermons. They are thorough and have many maps and diagrams. Especially in the New Testament they occupy more space that the text itself. Many advantages if you can carry it around.
Nyall Davies
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2012 11:25 PM GMT