Profile for Martin Pierce > Reviews

Content by Martin Pierce

Martin Pierce (London, UK)

The World at War - The Ultimate Restored Edition [2010] [DVD] [1973]
The World at War - The Ultimate Restored Edition [2010] [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Peter Tiffin

5.0 out of 5 stars First - this is awesome TV. Second, I don't get the cropping issue, 20 July 2016
I have binge-watched 20 of the 26 episodes and whilst much TV from the 70s - even what you remember fondly - has dated quite badly, this documentary remains masterful. You just keep wanting to see the next episode. The simple bringing together of archive footage, the key people who were there just being allowed to talk, and Olivier's considered but compelling narration, does not look its 43 years. The range - truly global - reflects and emphasises the global nature of the war. Plus the focus on the military reminds you how extraordinarily difficult a lot of it was to pull off (on both sides). And how cruel and random war can be. Meanwhile for those of us watching in 2016 when this is now really really history it's amazing to see so many of the key players talk - Doenitz and Speer and Himmler's chief of staff and Hitler's secretary, Eden, Harris, Mountbatten, Rab Butler. Not to mention ordinary people and Auschwitz survivors. Of all the people interviewed I think only one is still alive, Vera Lynn and she's 99. There are also innovations that you still see today - an introduction before the opening titles, freeze framing the last frame for the run out, the use of music generally. Ironically it was all harder to watch originally as it was first shown through the difficult winter of 1973-74 with the 3 day week and regular power cuts. In terms of quality, I have the DVD, it's a bit grainy but as good as it could be, a great restoration. As for the much debated cropping issue, maybe it's worse on the Bluray but I don't get it. I suppose having read the reviews there is a minor cropping at top and bottom but I don't see sections of heads cut off. Watching it full screen on my 42" screen is an immersive experience that it just wouldn't be if in original format with sides in black (like Brideshead that I rewatched recently) and even though I'd read the reviews before I bought I just haven't noticed it as I've watched. Maybe it would be different if I could remember watching it originally when it came out (when I was 9) but I don't think I saw much of it then. One final note - for anyone who grew up with ITV in the 70s the start of each episode with the Thames TV logo and short jingle is a little kick of nostalgia every time. I keep expecting the Magpie theme tune to come next.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2016 12:53 PM BST

Replacement power supply adaptor for the 12V PURE Evoke-1 DAB Radio
Replacement power supply adaptor for the 12V PURE Evoke-1 DAB Radio
Offered by County Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job and arrived very promptly. Lighter than ..., 8 Aug. 2014
Does the job and arrived very promptly. Lighter than the original. Check before you order - older Pure Evoke 1 DAB radios are 12v, later ones are 9v. It says which on the back of the radio

The New Machiavelli: How to Wield Power in the Modern World
The New Machiavelli: How to Wield Power in the Modern World
by Jonathan Powell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good account of Blair years - but the Machiavelli stuff interferes, 11 Mar. 2012
Really good account - albeit partial - he's a Tony loyalist to the death - of the Blair years, but though I'm a fan of Machiavelli and studied him at University, and absolutely agree with the points he makes about Machiavelli, frankly it gets in the way of lots of great yarns, and plenty of Gordon-bashing, about the Blair years. Best to just stick with those to be honest

Thompson Falls
Thompson Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars Metrocentre meets Montana?, 18 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Thompson Falls (Audio CD)
There's something indefinably northern about this great debut CD - a sense of edge of somewhere, not too much going on, windswept, slow-paced personal relationships, ennui. It reminds me of Tarnation's 'Gentle Creatures' (1995) in the spirit it conjurs, though the well-crafted guitars and downbeat vocals have something of REM about them. The title track which kicks off the set captures the sound of the Nowhere, USA photos on the cover (against which the Angel of the North inside is a bit incongruous). After that the tempo moves up a gear or two and it's difficult to pick out the best of a series of great tracks that follow each other - Sound of Sirens, Summer, Neon Lights are Beautiful - perhaps Independence Day just pips them? So just 10 weeks of the decade to go and this nips into my Top 5 of the 2000's at the last gasp - go buy! When's the tour start guys?

Wii Play with Wii Remote Controller (Wii)
Wii Play with Wii Remote Controller (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this for the extra remote - but the games are quite good too, 1 Feb. 2009
This is a no-brainer purchase if you're just buying the Wii itself - most people get this at the same time. You get an extra controller - 2 is a minimum really for the Wii, but it only ships with 1 - and a set of around 10 OK games. Our daughters - 8 and 5 - have certainly not seen the games as an inferior offering and do get the disk out - although they rate their other games higher.

White Chalk
White Chalk

4.0 out of 5 stars This seems to have stirred people up a bit, 5 Oct. 2007
This review is from: White Chalk (Audio CD)
Every PJH album adds something different, I find ordering by preference changes from time to time. Though generally it settles most of the time for me at (1) To bring you my love, (2) Uh huh her (3) Is this desire? (4) Stories from the city (even though it came out at the time of and instantly conjures up the autumn gales of the birth of our first daughter), (5) everything before To bring you my love. Where does the new album fit? Don't know yet. Was somewhat dreading arrival given bad press generally for new album, but have listened a few times and whilst the odd duff moment, this seems to have a quiet sense of purpose (not total shock) and a building sense of something greater than sum of parts. That's always a good start. When Under Ether is clearly a superior track, and would have set well on Uh Huh Her, but plenty of other goodies here too eg Dear Darkness - but it's overall effect that I think works. Having said that, quite happy if you blow the dust off that bass guitar next time Polly...

To Bring You My Love
To Bring You My Love
Offered by DVDMAX-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars £2.97 is ridiculous, 5 Oct. 2007
This review is from: To Bring You My Love (Audio CD)
You aren't even taking a chance at this price. The growly, deep deep deep bass blues take around 2-3 listens to get used to but after that, this record soars. Because every PJH album adds something different it's impossible to say that one is a 'favourite' but I have the title track down officially as music to be played at my funeral. By the time I was 31 when I bought this, I thought it wasnt possible for a record to still be life changing - but this is in that league.

Sleep No More
Sleep No More

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Goat of the West was great live..., 30 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Sleep No More (Audio CD)
... Brighton Top Rank, October 1981, played with some little known Irish outfit, U2 or something. Long forgotten - anyway I went to see the Comsat Angels. Played this record right through the middle summer of Sixth Form, 1981, alongside my newly acquired Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, Cure etc. Complete gloom boom classic along with those others, can't imagine why it's taken so long for this to come out on CD. Some of the others are a bit too jovial really - they all have some good tracks but Sleep No More is their finest.