Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Classical gas" (Halton)

The Best of Jet Harris & Tony Meehan
The Best of Jet Harris & Tony Meehan
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars 60s gold, 5 Dec 2012
A real gem! If The Shads are your bag then this is a must. The musical history of the six string base played by a man who really knew how to play the thing. I've just sat listening to this in a radio studio whilst interviewing the Four Most and some of their tales about Jet Harris were unbelievable. Play this through a bass-heavy system and you really can feel the music. Historically there is a lot of material here that followed Jet and Tony leaving the Shadows and before their own brief but great pairing. Of course there are the gems of Diamonds and my own favourite, Scarlett O'Hara. All original recordings and good quality sound . A real piece of 60s music history.

Dominoes Double 9 Set
Dominoes Double 9 Set
Price: 26.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dominoes Double 9 Set (Toy)
Last summer was the first time my wife and I had been away on holiday without the kids since 1977!! About tea-time we would buy a bottle of wine and go back to our room to play a game we hadn't played for years!! Dominoes!! (What were your mucky minds thinking?). Having been absolutely fleeced by my hustler of a wife with a cheap wooden set , I bought her this beautiful set of Double Nines when we got home. Beautifuly made, in a first class box and now we continue our little games in style!!

The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this really the end for Fin McLeod, 5 Dec 2012
Having waited patiently for part three I was not disappointed. It was difficult to comprehend just how Peter May could stage three crime novels in a part of the world with so little crime but he managed it yet again with such credibility. The story will reveal itself, you'll get no spoilers from me, but the main aspect of these books, to me, is an uncanny ability to paint a picture of the landscape of the islands. Having read the first book I turned to Google maps and looked up the places so beautifully portrayed in the text. Two books further on and I simply want to get in my car and go and drive there and see these places for myself. To inspire this kind interest takes an exceptional writing skill.

There are a few relationships left unresolved and Fin's future unsure so I can only hope that Peter may has found some way of doing a four part trilogy!!!

Life on Mars: Blood, Bullets and Blue Stratos
Life on Mars: Blood, Bullets and Blue Stratos
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of the Genie, 27 Oct 2012
Tom Graham will never rank amongst the literary greats but if you were a fan of Life on Mars then this is very definitely one for you. Resisting the temptation to pick up in the 80s, Tom keeps the readers firmly back in the original, and best, era of the 70s and Gene in his beloved Manchester. Perhaps the plot gets a little political but he has captured the characters and dialogue well. As a retired copper who was on CID in the mid 70s I regarded the TV programme as a documentary and this book keeps the memory of the programme alive. If to you PC means Politically Correct then go elsewhere, if it means Police Constable then read on my friend. The best bit is saved for last, 'Gene Hunt will return.....'

The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
The Lewis Man: Book Two of the Lewis Trilogy
Price: 3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Two down, one to go, 22 Aug 2012
I have never been a fan of the books that alternate from one time-line/series of events to another so when I was recommended The Blackhouse my initial reactions were not good. However, there was something in the style, pace and characterisation of the book that kept me involved. Soon this developed into full-blown mania, seldom have I finished a book so quickly. The 'ping-pong' style used here simply worked! I was totally drawn in and bought the second book, this one, as soon as I had finished the first.
Writing style is a very subjective topic, be you a holiday fortnight only reader or a complete academic bookworm, so one must make one's own minds up in this respect. I can only say that this book is so imaginatively crafted that it makes you want to go and visit the Islands. The historical and geographical elements are based on real events and places; I actually resorted to Google maps and Google Earth and traced the narrative in the book. If any potential reader has ever visited the Hebrides then you will find an affinity in these pages. The characterisations are intriguing and add to the overall success of the book(s). Owing to the subjectivity element referred to above I am always reluctant to recommend bookes to others. This book is an exception, however, and all of the five friends/family I have passed this onto have echoed my feelings. It is also a very good geography lesson - I have the names of the Hebrides islands off by heart now!! Volume 3 is already on order.

BlackBerry Charging Pod for Bold 9900 - Black
BlackBerry Charging Pod for Bold 9900 - Black
Offered by Modern-Tech
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry 9900 charging pod, 20 Aug 2012
I have been using an old model Blackberry for about three years now and have always had a corresponding charging pod on my desk at work - and all was well. Six months ago my son gave me his 'old'9900 model (more money than sense ) so the first thing I bought was the pod. I read some mixed reviews but pressed ahead and was delighted to find that this was just as good as my previous charger. My phone sits on the desk most of the day and so overcomes the phone's main issue of short battery life. Granted, it does not slot in as deeply as previous models but just be careful, you don't need to throw the phone at it!! And if you are so ham-fisted just wait to see if the clock comes up!! To quote the great philosopher Clarksonious - How hard can it be???????

THE PASSING OF INSPECTOR MORSE: A Committed Atheist's Journey to his Personal Slice of Heaven
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting! But one error of true Morse-like detail., 11 Aug 2012
An interesting read, especially for all Morse fans who still mourn his passing.Susan Masters would appear to have a comprehensive knowledge of the life and domestic arrangements of both Morse and Colin. However, I'm sure Colin's eyebrow would have raised at the thought of drinking malt whiskey - with an 'e'!!No, Susan, they would be drinking the real stuff - WHISKY, not that Irish muck!!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2013 11:18 AM GMT

A Time to Remember 1969: 20 Original Chart Hits
A Time to Remember 1969: 20 Original Chart Hits
Offered by sellerfellauk
Price: 14.89

1.0 out of 5 stars A Time to remember 1969, 25 Sep 2010
The tracks on this disc were as listed. And that's about the only positive thing I can say. There was no right channel sound and the left sounded thin. It sounded like one of the cheap Turkish specials you buy off a man on the beach. The packaging was thin cardboard, an odd size and offered little protection - not that there was anything worth protecting!! Worst CD I have ever bought and went straight in the bin.

Beethoven & Britten Violin Concertos
Beethoven & Britten Violin Concertos
Price: 11.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare pair, 19 Jan 2010
The new generation of violin players continue to line up against the older, more established names and this, the latest offering from the rising star of the Netherlands, continues the match. The playing is excellent, she is improving with each release. However, the best feature of this CD is the pairing. The Britten Concerto has been long neglected and this recording goes some way to restoring that balance. There are references to the Beethoven in Britten's work so the pairing is perhaps not all that strange. A brillieant choice, none-the-less, and brilliantly played.