Profile for SJ > Reviews

Pharaoh
Pharaoh
by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 19 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Pharaoh (Paperback)
'Shows Dan Brown how to do it!' had been emblazoned across the front cover of this book and as I had read Manfredi before, I was intrigued. Manfredi's usual style of writing ensures the very best in researching the subject and as such transports the reader sucessfully to that era. If this story could achieve this benchmark and build upon the usual rollercoster ride offered by Browns work then it would be a truly great novel.

However whilst parts of the story are gripping, such as the opening of the tomb and resultant discoveries within, some areas are too slow and a section to do with the escape is to be honest a bit too far. Again the research is first class but in my opinion doesn't really attain the heights expected of either Manfredi or Brown works.

Worthy of a read but you may, like me, be dissapointed with the closing.

Philips 50PFP5532D - 50" Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview
Philips 50PFP5532D - 50" Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent while you have it!, 7 Mar. 2008
Cannot agree more with the previous review. Picture quality is second to none, however the sound is rather 'tinny' at times. It must be said as with any HD Ready set that when viewing non HD transmission, low settings should be utilised to 'soften' the image. On the downside, there was one instance where the TV had to return to the manufacturer as one day the picture didn't come on. This was resolved as far as I know.
My ex-girlfriend solved the problem for me by chucking me out of the house at Christmas and taking custody of the TV so hopefully it will break in the future, taking the washing machine, DVD, kettle and toaster with it...! Not bitter though....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2014 12:24 AM GMT

Nyko Intercooler (Xbox 360)
Nyko Intercooler (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars I Stood and Watched as it took off......, 16 May 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the cooler to prevent this overheating problem and I think that I have found out how it works. The cooler kicks in as soon as you turn the 360 on and then whines loudly until you have to turn it off again (which in my case was about 10 minutes into Gears of War); hence no overheating!! Those of you who will have tried the other coolers will no doubt know that their not without their problems too (USB's not working, etc). The answer? No idea. Oh well, I'm off to buy some industrial ear defenders and an anchor to hold down my 360, ready for my next gaming session.