Profile for ratgranny > Reviews

Content by ratgranny

ratgranny "ratgranny" (North Wales)

LEGO City 60052: Cargo Train
LEGO City 60052: Cargo Train
Offered by jadlamracingmodels

5.0 out of 5 stars Great play value, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: LEGO City 60052: Cargo Train (Toy)
My 7-year old grandson loves this recent birthday present, especially when added to his existing hi-speed set and extra track. He was able to help build it, and played with every aspect of it when it was complete. As a Lego fan almost as keen as he is, I love it too! The details are, as usual, many and impressive, and it goes without saying really that the quality is excellent. The Amazon price was great too - considerably less than the Lego shop price. I can thoroughly recommend this set - even on its own without additional track bits or other trains it would be great play value, more so than the hi-speed train. If your child has no set yet but wants one, I would get this one first.

LEGO City 7895: Train Tracks
LEGO City 7895: Train Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful addition, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: LEGO City 7895: Train Tracks (Toy)
Exactly what you need to make a basic train set even better

LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train
LEGO City 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-speed train gets the green light, 30 Dec. 2014
Usual excellent Lego quality and attention to detail. The train sits well on the track and runs very smoothly. The set does require nine AAA batteries, which is expensive but of course how expensive depends on how long they last. Our 6-year old grandson played with it extensively over Christmas and loved it. I'm sure this set will soon be incorporated into his on-going Lego fantasy world, along with all his other sets; will stand the test of time as they all have; and will fire his imagination and encourage him to build his own variations, as he has done with all the others. I would recommend this set to any Lego fan.

LEGO City 7499: Flexible Tracks
LEGO City 7499: Flexible Tracks

4.0 out of 5 stars Flexible tracks set good but could be even better, 30 Dec. 2014
They're good, and do what they say they do, but I was a bit disappointed there were no points or junctions. I could have seen that from the box picture I suppose, so not Lego's fault that I missed it, but I think it would be a better set with some extra bits. Still, excellent quality as usual.

LEGO City 60050: Train Station
LEGO City 60050: Train Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Train station is a winner, 30 Dec. 2014
Exactly the quality and attention to detail you would expect from Lego. My 6-year old grandson loved it (as did I!) and played with it and the train for hours over the Christmas period. He was also able to follow the instructions and build most of it, with supervision from Daddy, but he has had a lot of Lego practice! Excellent as ever.

LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9474: The Battle of Helm's Deep
LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9474: The Battle of Helm's Deep
Offered by Game-Front

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for myself as a treat, and I don't regret it!, 9 Mar. 2013
I'm an old Lego fan and LotR addict, and I can only say two words darling - 'FabuLOUS' and 'AmaZING' (sorry, I'm a Strictly fan too!). I bought this with the additional Uruk-hai army set, and the finished articles, put together, are genius. I completed it about three weeks ago and can't bring myself to take it apart it looks so cool! Very clear instructions (as usual), wonderful attention to detail, lots of 'features', and I love the rearing horses. It even has a 'great hall' with food and armour detail, a walkway from the inner tower to the walls, a great 'horn' at the top of the tower, and I love the little side door (for Gimli and Aragorn to sneak out of when the orks aren't looking). One criticism however: the minifigs will not stand on the ladder that you construct to lean against the castle wall, the 'rungs' gap is too narrow. This is a shame, because that's what the ladder is for, surely. If I had bought it for a child (the box does say '10 to 14') I think it might have caused some frustration and disappointment if the child tried to re-enact a battle. On the other hand, you can fire little bricks very effectively with the two little catapult devices on the walls. Altogether, a brilliant purchase (if expensive) for an older person, and a very good one for a younger one if they are like my little grandson (aged 4) who just loves all the bricks, figures, accessories, bits and bobs in any case, and does his own thing with them anyway!

LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9473: The Mines of Moria
LEGO The Lord of the Rings 9473: The Mines of Moria
Offered by Natureas

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Lego product, 9 Mar. 2013
I'm a 63-year old Lego addict, and I love Lord of the Rings, so this had a lot to live up to. As usual, Lego's attention to detail and its genius at making little knobby bricks look like dwarves, elves, trolls, ... well, like anything really ... was much in evidence. As usual, very clear instructions, easy to follow, and not a single bit missing. As usual, the assembled model is a joy to behold. If I have a criticism, it is that one little element - the skeleton, attached to a bucket by chains, that 'falls' into the tomb, is actually very difficult to make work properly. I don't think a child could do it at all, and the box does say '9-14'. If I had bought this for a child to play LotR games with, I suspect there might have been some frustration. Also, pointless saying it was a bit pricey - Lego have maintained quality over many years, presumably despite being under enormous pressure like everyone else to cut costs, and I guess charging quite a lot is how they do this. Altogether I would say it's brilliant value for an adult or older child, a tad less so for a younger child who actually wants to play with it, but what do I know - my 4-year old grandson plays with 'proper big boy's Lego' and manages brilliantly; anything that wont work, balance, move, stay put, whatever, when his little hands try it is simply turned into something else that will!

Lego Harry Potter 4842: Hogwarts Castle
Lego Harry Potter 4842: Hogwarts Castle

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Lego winner!, 29 Aug. 2011
I was given this as a (62nd!) birthday present, because I love Harry Potter, I think Lego generally is a brilliant piece of engineering, and themed Lego items like these are always marvellous little works of art and ingenuity (how else you can make two bricks and a cylinder with a stud on the top look EXACTLY like Lord Voldemort?). Every piece was present exactly as it should be, the instructions were simple (too simple for adults really), and every built item, as it 'emerged', was a delight. The finished thing is even better then the on-line pics make it look. I MIGHT share this with my son-in-law, and even possibly with the grandchildren when they are a tad older. I'm not sure how easy it would be for younger children actually to play with, as some of the bits are extrememly small and therefore fiddly, but, for me, it is a marvel! My only criticism (it drops an 'overall' star) is that there is no Ron Weasley - why ever not?! I have not given it any 'educational value' stars only because I don't see why it should be 'educational' - it's enough for me that it's beautifully made, fun to build, marvellous to look at when complete, and a 'must' if you're a fan of both Lego and Harry Potter. .

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality product, 29 Aug. 2011
If 'quality' means it does exactly what it's meant to, exactly as you would wish it to, then this is a quality product! I have 'laminated' about two dozen little photos so far, very successfully. The cards are easy to use, the images are clear under the lamination, and as far as I can tell this early on (I've only had the first batch of laminated pics about six weeks), they seem very durable. When I've used up these 100, I will definitely order more.