Profile for Mr. R. P. Quinlan > Reviews

The Princess Diaries/The Princess Diaries 2 - Royal Engagement [DVD]
The Princess Diaries/The Princess Diaries 2 - Royal Engagement [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Family Entertainment, 3 July 2009
Watched the two movies on consecutive evenings. Found the first a little boring to start off with untill I got into the swing of what was happening. For me, the storylne didn't really get going until the second movie.

This is the two-part story of an ordinary School Girl who suddenly finds herself First in like to the throne of her Country: a situation she does not relish, and which others would have another way. The one snag to this young lady becoming Queen is that she must marry first: something there is a certain ammount of opposition to both by the lady herself, and by outsiders.

Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews are GREAT in the two femail lead roles, and the story is one of Good Clean Entertainment all the way, which I could happily recomend to anyone as Fantastically Farceical Family Fun.

Penelope [DVD] [2007]
Penelope [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Christina Ricci
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars This one GROWS on you., 21 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Penelope [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
For some time (almost 2 years) I have known about, and waited patiently for this Reese Witherspoon production; wondering if it ever would come to fruition on DVD in the U.K. On 12th August, I found it in a local Super-Market, and bought my copy there and then.

I have to say that my first thoughts when I watched it for the fist time were not very complementary. But, unusually for me after such thoughts, I let the film continue, watching it to the Happy Ending that it duly deserved. As I watched that first time, the film slowly "GREW ON ME", to the point where I couldn't walk away and forget it; I just HAD TO WATCH TO THE END.

It's a fable about a young (25-year-old) woman, Penelope, played by Christina Ricci (who I had never heard of until I watched this movie), bourne, under an ancient family curse, with a pig's snout for a nose: whoes potential Suiters all seem to have a great pair of legs for running away from her the moment she shows herself to them. All, that is, except one: a gambler employed by a news reporter to get a photograph of Penelope. After several visits to Penelope's home, the photograph is taken: but our gambling friend has, by then, fallen hopelessly in love with Penelope, and destroys the picture rather than have it published.

Penelope pleads with the gambler to marry her, promissing to kill herself if the curse is not broken. But her pleading is rejected, as the gambler knows he does not have the power to break the curse. After this, Penelope escapes the house that has been her prison, runs off to town where she meets and becomes great friends with Annie (Reese Witherspoon); but meets up, too, with the man she knows as Max, the gambler who rejected her. Max is also on hand when Penelope becomes engaged to marry the one person who has started all the bad publicity in the news-papers about her: something Max tries to put a stop to.

This film "GREW ON ME" as I watched it that first time; and has become a Nightly show for me now. I'm a succer for a good Rom-Com or Romantic Adventure: and this is Romantic Adventure AT IT ULTIMATE BEST.

Forget the SNOUT Miss Ricci carries for the majority of this movie. Just enjoy HER BEAUTY, some GREAT Acting by the entire cast, and what I like to think of as "A ROLLICKING GOOD YARN". Get to see this movie (only available on DVD). YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Ever After: A Cinderella Story [1998] [DVD]
Ever After: A Cinderella Story [1998] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars NO CINDERELLA, THIS YOUNG LADY, 22 Nov. 2007
What a WONDERFULL Movie.

I bought the DVD of this movie in a Boxed Set of 3 Drew Barrymore movies, and am pleased to say that I have found it the BEST of the collection.

Drew Barrymore is PERFECTLY CAST as Dannielle, the "Cinderella" Character in this story, and portrays the role to perfection. ...This is Drew Barrymore at ger 16th Centuary BEST.

Broken hearted over the loss of her father, Dannielle finds herself condemmed to be a servant to her kaniving Step-Mother for many years, until she befriends the Crown-Prince. It is then that her life begins to chamge.

This is, as can be seen from the storyline, the Cinderella Story without the Magic and the Fairy-Godmother. This is that same story told, through the life of Dannielle, straight, with nothing special added. In fact, the major difference is that Dannielle actually meets the Crown-Prince some time before the Masked Ball; at which, her Step-Mother lets on the the Prince exactly who Danielle is, getting her rejected by him: something he later regrets.

As I have said: This movie is Drew Barrymore at her VERY BEST, aided and abbetted by good acting from the remainder of the cast. I can happily recommend this movie to ANYONE who has not yet seen it.

I have rated this movie with 5 stars ( 10/10 ), and only wish I could have given it MORE.

If you don't already have this movie in you collection, GET IT: YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Lucky You [DVD] [2007]
Lucky You [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU'RE NOT INTO POKER, Drew Barrymore Fans --- BEWARE!, 22 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Lucky You [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I bought this DVD, as I usually do, without seeing the movie beforehand; and am EXTREEMELY SORRY that I did.

The plot centres arround a young woman (Drew Barrymore) trying to break the obsession with Poker held by her new Boy Friend.

If you like Drew Barrymore, then you, like me, are in for the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT of your viewing life. This film is 95 percent POKER, with only 5 percent Drew Barrymore.

I bought the movie expecting to see a typical Drew Barrymore Rom-Com. All I got was the story of the male lead's OBSESSION with POKER (a Card game about which I know precisely NOTHING), and the odd shot of M/s Barrymore when the film makers felt she could be allowed to make an appearance.

If M/s Barrymore was in the film for more than arround 10 minutes, I will be most surprised: yet she was concidered the Leading Lady. When she was allowed to appear in the movie, M/s Barrymore was NOT ALLOWED TO ACT IN THE MANNER WE HAVE COME TO EXPECT OF HER, and I got the impression that ALL I was being allowed to watch was THE MALE LEAD PLAYING POKER.

IF YOU'RE NOT INTO POKER, DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS MOVIE. I have NEVER seen SUCH RUBBISH in my life!

This movie left me wondering whoes OBSESSION WITH POKER was the GREATEST: the Lead Male Character's, or the FILM MAKER'S!

I have rated this movie very low, MARKING UP MY RATING RATHER THAN GIVE DREW BARRYMORE THE TRUE RATING I FELT THE MOVIE TO BE WORTH:- i.e. MINUS 100/10. I actually gave a VERY GENEROUSE 1/10; but cannot show this in terms of the 5-star rating offerred. My 1 star SHOULD BE HALVED!

Take my tip: LEAVE THIS MOVIE WELL ALONE!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2010 12:01 PM GMT

Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars If THIS is Drew Barrymore, Give me more., 22 Nov. 2007
What a WONDERFULL Movie. .....I speak as both a Hugh Grant Fan, and a semi-pro musician.

I could certainly identify with Hugh Grant's character, Alex Fletcher; a former pop star who now only does a few regular gigs to pay the bills. .....But: ...Having bought the DVD because of Hugh Grant, it was DREW BARRYMORE who set this film alight for me, as Sophie Fisher; the Lyric writing Plant Girl who takes all but one thing in her stride.

The plot cetres arround Allex Fletcher (Hugh Grant), who is asked by the "Hottest" Star arround to write a song for her, and given precious little time to compose it. Fletcher, a former Pop Band musician, has not composed anything new for 15 years, and does not do his own lyrics. .....Into his life comes Sophie Fisher (Drew Barrymore), a girl who, seemingly, can pull rhymes out of the air; and who, after mush persuation, agrees to write the lyrics for Alex. The only problems are that the young artiste who has commissioned the peice has also set the title she wants, and that Sophie has an "Intheriority Complex" when it comes to writing, having been "put down" in that connection by a former tutor. These, put together, don't help matters.

The chemistry between Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore is something special, and I would well recommend this movie to ANYONE.

I LOVED IT, and I give it 10/10 for both Good Acting (particularly on the part of M/s Barrymore - who I had not seen prior to buying this DVD), for Musical Content, and for Entertainment Value.

A GREAT MOVIE, NOT to be missed.

Just Like Heaven [DVD]
Just Like Heaven [DVD]
Dvd ~ Reese Witherspoon
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Because of this movie, I "Fell in Love" with Reese Witherspoon, 13 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Just Like Heaven [DVD] (DVD)
This is an enchanting movie, which got me hooked the first moment I saw it. I bought the DVD when released in the UK in May, 2006, and have almost worn it out by the time I write this.

The central plot is the growing love between a widower and the spirit of a lady who claims to own the appartment he has recently rented. In fact, the young lady is in a coma in hospital, having been very seriously hurt in a car crash, and her Spirit is trying, desparately, to find out who she really is.

Once she persuades her widowed friend to help her find herself, the love starts to grow between them, until, faced with having her Life Support Equipment removed, she realises that, as a spirit, her unfinished business is to help her widowed friend. After hearing of her plight, HE decides to steal her body; which leads to a certain amount of hilarity, and an extreemely touching finish to the story.

I would recommend this movie to anyone; and have given it 5 stars. If you don't already have your own copy, there's no time like the present to acquire one. Go On. Buy it. You'll LOVE it.