Profile for Caro-arrow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Stunted Kids' XTG Stunt Scooter
Stunted Kids' XTG Stunt Scooter

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, 1 Nov. 2014
Recommended for 8 years plus, I bought this for a sporty 6 year old. One week's use, on the pavement outside his house, not doing stunts but the little hops you would expect from a 6 year old and the break has sheared off. Poor quality, definitely not worth the money. One star for bright paintwork.

Station Eleven
Station Eleven

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Station Eleven (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. It didn't dwell too much on the gruesome details of the post apocalyptic world, just enough to drive the story and give me shivers. A thoughtful, well constructed book with satisfying strands of story and well defined characters. There is a lyrical feel to some of the descriptions which made me look more closely at the world we live in, at least for a couple of days, with a feeling of almost nostalgia for something not yet lost. Highly recommended. I look forward to reading more of Emily St John Mandel's work.

A Month in the Country (Penguin Modern Classics)
A Month in the Country (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars A jewel., 3 Oct. 2014
This slim book is captivating. The characters of the Yorkshire village where is it set fly off the page without becoming caricatures despite the almost incomprehensible dialect, which is worth attempting to read aloud just to get the flavour. As the medieval wall painting is gradually uncovered in the church, so are many other things, lost love, thwarted love and the horrors of war among them. All of this is set in the glorious Yorkshire countryside, the descriptions of which are also descriptions of the past. Definitely worth a read.

The Paying Guests
The Paying Guests

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Paying Guests (Kindle Edition)
If you read one book this year, make it this one. A modern classic. A story of love, deceit, forlorn hope, humdrum lives. I will not reveal the story, this is after all, a review and not a synopsis as so many so called reviews seem to be and I would not want to spoil one single word for anyone who has not read this yet. Set shortly after the end of WW1 it captures the feeling of despair at what has been lost and the return to the mundane lives of those left behind. But they, and the reader, have no idea of the headlong rush they are about to take into just about every human emotion. The writing is understated, as though Waters is observing from the corner of her eye but she somehow makes it is all crystal clear to the reader. Every character is fully formed, a real person, evoking sympathy or pity even when they are not likeable. Just read it and I hope , enjoy it as much as I have.

The Lives She Left Behind
The Lives She Left Behind

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 7 Sept. 2014
I enjoyed the original 'Ferney' book very much and so looked forward to reading this one. Although I enjoyed it, the original idea of repeated, connecting lives is beginning to wear a bit thin and I felt the author had to stretch the concept a bit to fit the story. It was also a shame that the main characters in the book are teenagers, as though James Long is trying to appeal to that market. If he is going to continue the theme, perhaps setting the reincarnation in the past, with more adult characters might be the way to go.

A Long Way From Verona
A Long Way From Verona
by Jane Gardam

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Verona (Paperback)
I was puzzled by this book. I have enjoyed the 'Filth' books by Jane Gardam and thought I was in for more of the same but this is a thin book that left me unsatisfied. I did not find the characters engaging and some of the story lines were disconnected and seemed to have been put in to bulk out the book. Don't be put off reading the 'Filth' books if you have read this one first, they really are much better.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly book, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Kindle Edition)
A silly book about silly, unbelievable characters with unlikely dialogue in an outlandish setting that culminates in a Bobby Ewing style 'twist' that is even more silly than the rest of the book. It is reminiscent of breathless teenage stories written for, and by, the very young and inexperienced. Don't bother with this one.

All Change: Cazalet Chronicles Book 5 (The Cazalet Chronicle)
All Change: Cazalet Chronicles Book 5 (The Cazalet Chronicle)

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad it is over . ., 1 April 2014
The end of the Cazalet story. Such a sad occasion for all lovers of this beautiful family saga. Elizabeth Jane Howard managed to evoke so perfectly, the England of the pre and post WW2 era, so different from today. Gentle pastoral descriptions mingled with sometimes shocking events makes the whole series a delight to read. These are not books to be read once. I will immediately start again at the beginning and relish the people and try not to remember what life has in store for them.

The Adoption
The Adoption

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts., 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Adoption (Kindle Edition)
The need to know what happens kept me reading to the end although there're were parts of this book that irritated me. Anne Berry has a talent for lyrical writing; great sweeping poetic descriptions which work very well at the start of the book. The Welsh countryside, the bitter weather and the bleak wartime lives are brought to life with majestic language and I thought I was in for a treat but unfortunately the more I read, the more disappointed I got. The characters, apart from the the birth parents, were so two dimensional. In particular the adoptive family whose physical descriptions and unrelenting appalling behaviour made me think of pantomime villains. Physical descriptions gave instant clues to character so if someone is described with an unpleasant look, you knew instantly that their character would match. Unfortunately in real life it is not so clear cut as plain people can have beautiful characters and vice versa as we know and I felt rather patronised as a reader that people's motives and behaviour were signalled to me like this. However, some of the stylish writing did keep me going to the end and I will read more of her work to see if her talents are reigned in and used more effectively.

Casting Off: Cazalet Chronicles Book 4 (The Cazalet Chronicle)
Casting Off: Cazalet Chronicles Book 4 (The Cazalet Chronicle)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 29 Oct. 2013
This follows the lives of the well-to-do Cazalet family through the mid 20th century. It is not all sugar and spice as some characters have less than the perfect lives that the earlier books in the series might have suggested. The quality of the writing is so fine, so deceptively simple and straightforward, that you feel engaged with the characters without even realising it is happening. I would, reluctantly, describe the whole series as 'women's books' without the horrible 'chick lit' label. They are literary and intelligent books with an emphasis on the feelings and emotions of the characters which I cannot imagine the men in my life at least, focusing on with the intensity they deserve. If you have read the others, read this too, you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2