ARRAY(0xa9bdb7d4)

The Fairy Chronicles Book Four: Firefly and the Quest of the Black Squirrel
The Fairy Chronicles Book Four: Firefly and the Quest of the Black Squirrel
by J H Sweet

5.0 out of 5 stars "Great Fairy Adventure", 14 Feb 2006
I wouldn’t exactly call the books in this series sequels. They are more like a continuation of a big overall story. However, even though the books are connected, they are fun to read on their own. The adventures the fairies are having are very separate stories, and I think they are getting better. I actually read Book 4 of the series at the website before ever picking up Books 1-3. Book 4 so far is my two daughters’ favorite, mine too. The dwarf and his squit are our favorite characters.
Protecting nature is a nice theme running throughout the series and this book has a lot of messages relating to conservation and preservation. But it is not preachy which we like. There is just some information about parks and wildlife worked into the storyline. Gnome gardening is again part of this book as it was for the earlier books.
We liked the trip through the forest and the tension of the importance of the mission. When information was added in about blue moon clover and squits, it made the story even more fun. The run-in with the hornets was a little scary. Good thing Marigold was along on this journey. It is very convenient that each of the fairies’ gifts contributed nicely to the adventure, but the way these things were worked into the story was believable.
I will be reading this again with my two girls. It is a very good story.