Profile for John > Reviews

L.G Harris 731 5m Premier Extension Pole
L.G Harris 731 5m Premier Extension Pole
Price: 15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 7 Aug 2013
Does exactly what it claims to. The bottom section has quite a large diameter which gives the whole thing stability from undue flexing. Still surprisingly lightweight and comfortable to hold. We can now get to the top of the gable ends of the house to paint (can buy a tiltable paintbrush holder to work into angles up high).

Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood
Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood
by Oliver Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all scientists, 6 July 2006
I adored this book. I got it from my local library and am now buying my own copy. However, I would add that I read chemistry at college and was recommended it by another chemist. It is not a particularly difficult book, I want my 14-year-old to read it, but it is much more chemistry than biography.

It also made me think about what is missing now the practical element has been taken from the education system in the UK now; if you want to inspire a bright teenager this is the way to do it (I particularly like the passage about the 3lb lump of sodium and the local pond - I won't spoil it for non-chemists).

The biographical detail is interspersed with chemical passages and potted biographies of Sack's favourite chemists from the past. The thing that stood out the most though, was the sheer excitement of living through science as it was refined and discovered. There was no atom bomb when the book started, that came along the way. One of Sack's uncles had a scintillation gadget with a tiny amount of radioactive substance that emitted radiation you could see. There is an excitement and enthusiasm not found in many books now.

As well as being gripped by the science, its application and the history, I found it an extremely well written book. I want to read his neurological books as a result.

LEGO Make & Create Inventor 4094: Motor Movers
LEGO Make & Create Inventor 4094: Motor Movers
Offered by Mactheknife71
Price: 179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Old-style lego, 26 Jan 2004
Of the vast quantities of lego we have aquired over the past seven years, this is easily the best. My ten-year-old son has played with this more than any other toy since toddlerhood. Rather than a specific model which is made according to the instructions, admired for a while and then mixed up with the general lego pile never to emerge again, this set has a booklet with a number of detailed instruction and some ideas to get you started on further projects. The models are cruder in appearance so it doesn't matter if you can't find a particular piece, another will do. The favourite models have been the monkey which goes hand over hand along a string, and the automatic drink stirrer (used for making milkshakes here). A little adult help was needed to get the string at a suitable tension for the monkey to travel without coming off, but that was a very minor problem. There is also massive scope for your own design and invention. I put rechargeable batteries in the motor box and they have lasted for ages.

Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars Eats, Shoots & Leaves, 26 Jan 2004
I didn't buy this book after reading various dreadful Amazon reviews (the bad ones are at the top), then I was given it as a present and loved it. It is easily readable, humourous and informative. It does not poke fun at people from a superior point of view, the examples of incorrect punctuation are funny, e.g. "Pansy's ready" (She is? For what?) in a garden centre. The author is at pains to point out her pedantry and also the reasons why; bad punctuation can create ambiguity or even change the meaning of a piece of text. The emphasis is very much on common sense and the only quibble I could find is it is not "The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation", there is a great deal of tolerance! I also gave this book as a present and my friend read it in one sitting and pronounced it brilliant.