Profile for R. Murphy > Reviews

Nothing To Envy: Real Lives In North Korea
Nothing To Envy: Real Lives In North Korea
Price: 4.63

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting stories poorly told, 10 Sep 2013
Yes there are some interesting stories here and much heart rending information about North Korea. But for me the overly narrative style was almost too much to bear. Many flowery adjectives describing details that could not possibly be remembered smack of embellishment and this detracts from the human stories that the author relates. In my opinion this style almost trivialised some of the content, and because this is a regime and a country that we should all try to know more about, perhaps the end result is less shocking and less heartbreaking than it should have been. In summary: good content hidden behind by a trashy writing style.

Nobo Sasco 2013-14 Unmounted Academic Planner (W915mm x H610mm)
Nobo Sasco 2013-14 Unmounted Academic Planner (W915mm x H610mm)
Price: 18.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential year planner, 27 Aug 2013
I've bought a Sasco academic year planner every year for the last 10 years and would be lost without it. Great for pinning on the kitchen wall to keep track of children's terms and holidays etc. This product is absolutely not just for teachers!

Safe House
Safe House
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable & gripping, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
Gripping story set on the very interesting Isle of Man. The main characters I found very engaging and the situations very tense. Not a classic novel but absolutely a page turner. Great!

Dear Lupin... Letters to a Wayward Son
Dear Lupin... Letters to a Wayward Son
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly unfunny, 27 Aug 2013
Maybe I just didn't get it or perhaps it just is not funny but this book certainly didn't do it for me. I gave up quite early on as I just didn't find anything in common with the writer or Lupin. Avoid.

Duronic White LS1008 /W Digital 50KG Capacity Luggage/Bag/Suitcase Scales with straps and batteries
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential travel accessory, 27 Aug 2013
In these days of restrictive baggage allowances, it pays to weight your bag before you travel. These scales are easy to use and I trust accurate. Great for hand baggage too, helps you figure out why your laptop and accessories are pulling your arm off.

I wouldn't be without them now.

The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985]
The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Molly Ringwald
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the fuss?, 27 Aug 2013
Ok I didn't see it first time round in the 80's but some great reviews made me think it'd be worth a look. Corny characters and corny storyline. It's not awful but unless you want to rekindle fond memories, probably best to give it a miss. Unless you're a confused teenager who hates school and feels misunderstood.

Gigaset A120 Single DECT Cordless Phone - Black
Gigaset A120 Single DECT Cordless Phone - Black
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bargain second phone, 27 Aug 2013
Great value but a rotten selection of ringtones. Great as a second telephone (e.g. in the bedroom) but not good enough as a main phone. Also it's all too easy to "redial last number dialled". But for ten quid, no complaints.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation [DVD]
How I Spent My Summer Vacation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Action all the way!, 27 Aug 2013
Like action, shooting and Mel Gibson? Then this movie is for you! Not high art but a damned good action-all-the-way film with some great dry humour thrown in. Five stars because I loved it but make no mistake, it's not destined to be listed in the all time film Hall of Fame.

House of Sand and Fog [DVD]
House of Sand and Fog [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Kingsley
Price: 5.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect a happy ending, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: House of Sand and Fog [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic story telling and Ben Kingsley is just outstanding, really outstanding, in this story of getting on in America. The land of opportunity through sheer hard work, and the land where people expect to get what they want by virtue of an overblown sense of entitlement. When these clash the result is unexpected, yet fully expected. I found myself feeling quite angry as the film develops towards an inevitable awful dénouement.

Can be viewed as a tragedy and also a terrible commentary on American attitudes. But can be enjoyed (?) without getting too caught up in between the lines.

Not recommended for "a cosy night in with a DVD on the sofa" !! But recommended nevertheless.

Non-Stop (S.F. Masterworks)
Non-Stop (S.F. Masterworks)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite SF novels, 27 Aug 2013
Very fast moving, great premise and great story telling. Unexpected ending. Definitely one of my favourite SF novels. If you enjoy this, have a go at "Dark Eden" too. I loved it so much I bought the kindle version to re-read on holiday!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17