Profile for ParanahBoy > Reviews

Content by ParanahBoy

ParanahBoy "Thunderbirds Are GO!" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Assassins Creed 3 Join or Die Blades Hoody - Hoodie
Assassins Creed 3 Join or Die Blades Hoody - Hoodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool!, 11 Feb 2013
This hoodie is awesome. It's a perfect fit, warm and the logo and hidden blades pictures make this just awesome!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality could be better, 18 Nov 2012
It's a good picture to have printed on a poster but this one I think could have had much better quality to it as it's a bit blurry.

1977-1984 (Coll) (Dlx)
1977-1984 (Coll) (Dlx)
Price: 96.34

5.0 out of 5 stars The B.O.W. Collection., 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: 1977-1984 (Coll) (Dlx) (Audio CD)
This fine collection of U2's brilliant first three studio albums is a must for U2 fans. It contains the deluxe editions of Boy, October and War remastered and U2's first poster. Once you remove the poster you have a slot free for 'Under A Blood Red Sky' deluxe (not included).

Boy is just a brilliant debut album, starting out with the upbeat 'I Will Follow' which is driven by every instrument by U2 and then ending on the not so quite upbeat 'Shadows And Tall Trees' would be a trend on future U2 Studio albums (apart from October). U2 sound so raw here, the guitars, drums and vocals just great! I give this album 5 stars out of 5.
Disk 2/Bonus Disk of Boy contains a lot of rare tracks (studio and live) from their very early beginning including the 'Three EP.' I'm not very fond of Three, I'm glad they re-recorded 'Out Of Control' and 'Stories For Boys' for Boy.

October was the album that almost ended U2 before they had hardly begun! Given the time they were given to write and record it, it turned out really good. It really should have ended on 'Scarlet' instead of 'Is That All?', would be better if they'd swapped them around. 'I Threw A Brick Through A Window' I find is the most U2 sounding song and I have no idea why, it might be because of Edge's guitar. The album artwork I really don't like, it could've been much better. 4 stars out of 5.
October's Bonus Disk again includes rare recordings of live tracks from the October period and Studio recordings of when they re-recorded some songs with the BBC. The live tracks are good but I don't think the BBC session tracks are. Included also is the 'A Celebration' single which has the studio version of the iconic live track 'Party Girl' (called 'Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl').
One thing about October though is it seems to have had the least amount of remastering applied to it. OK it sounds remastered and louder but Boy and War's sound quality is better.

War, the start of U2's commercial and critical success. With October being a failure U2 had to prove to Island (their record co.) that they could do better. They certainly proved it as it managed to knock Michael Jackson's Thriller off the Number 1 spot in the UK. From start to finish it is sheer brilliance! War is remembered for the controversial 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' with it's signature drum beat and 'New Year's Day' for the Bass riff Adam lays down. It ends on "40" which is a nice quiet song to end the album on, this is the trend I'm on about. War is a brilliant album and I give it 5 stars out of 5.
The Bonus Disk contains mostly remixes of 'New Year's Day' and 'Two Hearts Beat As One', 2 live tracks and a few studio recordings, as a whole it's OK.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly addictive!, 13 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game because one of my friends recommended that I buy it. I'll admit that I wasn't excited about purchasing this game, even from what he told me. When I got it and started playing it I wasn't that into it but after I had completed a Memory I was really into it, it was...is simply amazing!

The graphics, gameplay, the story and the music are excellent. It's a shock to see what happens to Ezio when you start playing as him when he's a young adult, I ended up feeling sorry for him and wanted revenge, ridiculous I know. There is a large amount of side stuff you can do when you've done the story or during it, like: finding treasures, improving your Uncle's villa (which will gain you a lot of money) or doing races. It's a brilliant opening and ending, I mean it's the best ending to a video game I've played and makes me want to buy the next instalment to the series, 'Brotherhood.'

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO REPRODUCTION FILM POSTER 16X12" NO 2
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO REPRODUCTION FILM POSTER 16X12" NO 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Thunderbirds Are Go, 13 Nov 2012
I love this poster, the photo glossy paper is really nice. The quality of the picture is good but could be better (probably because of the time Thunderbirds was from). I was glad to find that this picture was on a poster.

U2 by U2
U2 by U2
by Neil McCormick
Price: 14.58

5.0 out of 5 stars U2 by U2, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: U2 by U2 (Paperback)
This is a brilliant insight into U2's past (very early stages of forming the band) and up to the present of when this was being written. It contains pictures which you or I will never have seen before, loads of info you may not have known and humour amongst the band and manager.

Being a huge U2 fan this is brilliant to read, if you're not that into U2 I'm not so sure if this is for you but you never know...

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Xbox 360)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 14.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Controls are more frustrating but it's still alright, 2 Sep 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The things wrong with this game are: the campaign is short, most of the challenges are rubbish, it can get repetitive and worst of all the controls are so frustrating (more so than the first game) that at times it won't let you do what you want to do!

On the plus side though the story is good but not as much as the first Force Unleashed game, new features like Force Fury and Dual Lightsabers are good additions to the game and the graphics have a slight improvement. At first and when you've got all your force powers maxed out it can be pretty fun.

Wild Ones
Wild Ones
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to Only One Flo (Part 1), 27 July 2012
This review is from: Wild Ones (Audio CD)
Wild Ones has some catchy tunes on it but can be let down by some nonsense lyrics. The opening track Whistle has a catchy whistling part and rather suggestive lyrics. The title track Wild Ones is the brilliant stand out here, mainly because of Sia's amazing voice but Flo Rida's parts in it are very fitting with the music n all.

The part I don't like is the album's non-originality of some songs. Good Feeling is really Levels by Avicii but with different instruments and additional lyrics slapped on top, In My Mind (Part 2) has the same music as the original In My Mind but with lyrics sung by Flo again slapped on top. Run I found was too boring to listen to and the rest of the tracks are just your average Flo Rida song.

New Captain Scarlet - Series 1-2 [DVD]
New Captain Scarlet - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Captain Scarlet
Price: 24.25

5.0 out of 5 stars New but better than the 1st?, 10 Jun 2012
This is a brilliant edition to Gerry Anderson's much loved TV series'. There are some significant changes from the original show, like Lieutenant Green and Captain Ochre are now women, Scarlet has a relationship with Destiny and the people (not marionettes) can now walk!

The whole show is done in CGI, dubbed 'Hypermarionation'. The action is much better than in the original series, so is the scripting as it goes in more deep and personal about Scarlet's life. The cinematography is surprisingly good for a CGI show. The Mysterons and Captain Black (the Mysterons' agent on Earth) do some pretty gruesome killings, in fact there was one particular where I thought, "Is that suitable for kids?"
The music does fit with the show but it's no Barry Gray. Same with the explosions, they do not surpass those of Derek Meddings.
In some scenes I do believe the textures could do with a bit of work. The DVD extras are good bonuses to some of the disks, you even get some audio commentary from Mr Thunderbird as well!

I find that the original series will always be better because it's a classic but this does live up to the expectations of Gerry Anderson.

Thunderbirds Complete Series Digistack--9-Disc Box Set [DVD]
Thunderbirds Complete Series Digistack--9-Disc Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Patillo
Price: 13.70

5.0 out of 5 stars FABulous!, 29 May 2012
I remember back in the late 90's or the start of the new millennium when Thunderbirds was being re-run on the BBC, I was about 5 and I still remember watching the Fireflash in 'Trapped in the Sky' take off for the first time. After seeing the pilot episode my Mum remembers me being obsessed with Thunderbirds for a long time. When the next episodes came on I joined in with Jeff with the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Thunderbirds Are GO! It's so brilliant that that's one of my earliest memories, it shows how great I thought it was, it's my favourite show of all time! Now onto the show itself.

The intro to Thunderbirds is one of the best intros ever made, it really draws you in with all the excitement to show by placing clips of the episode at the start. The classic tune which is instantly recognisable, the Thunderbirds March is just so brilliant, Barry Gray's pieces are essential to show's success, I don't think anyone else would've been able to create the excitement for the episodes like he did. The special effects are what the show is noted for, as well as the music, Derek Meddings was the man behind all the special effects that you saw in Thunderbirds, he even designed most of the models. The sets are also incredibly detailed, I feel sorry for the set designers at times when Derek blows some of them up.

The small cast of voice actors that would have lots of roles are brilliant as well. I found it funny when I found out Ray Barrett (the voice of John Tracy and The Hood) also done the voice of The Duchess. I also find that the scripts surpass those from Stingray and the marionette dolls are more mature considering that they hardly walk and have better movement to make them seem more human.

I think with all that in mind it's fair to say that this is one of the best and one of the most popular TV series ever made!

The DVDs all come with bonus features including some interviews and voice-over commentary from Mr Thunderbird (Gerry Anderson) himself. This set includes a DVD with Thunderbirds companion.

Although the remastering could still do with a bit more work, it doesn't bother me. On another note, why is everyone complaining about the aspect ratio, it's really not that big a deal!

Page: 1 | 2