Profile for Adam Smith > Reviews

Content by Adam Smith

Adam Smith

Stockholm Everyman MapGuide (Everyman Citymap Guides)
Stockholm Everyman MapGuide (Everyman Citymap Guides)
by Everyman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a Weekend, 11 Mar 2014
Spent a weekend in Stockholm with this map last summer and found it to be accurate, comprehensive and hard-wearing. It had everywhere we wanted to go covered in good levels of detail, the mapping was very clear and attractive. The map folds out and provides a guide to some shops, restaurants and attractions in each of the areas.

The guide element was good but wouldn't suffice for more than a weekend, I would want something more comprehensive if I was staying longer. Still, it's an excellent start and well put together.

ORDEL® Slim Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 2 Tablet
Offered by Ordel

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, certainly okay for the cost, 11 Mar 2014
I ordered this so that I could write on my tablet on the train or at cafés without having to fiddle about with the on-screen keyboard. I was quite surprised when it arrived to see it was a fairly solid bit of kit and very similar to an Apple keyboard. It connects with my tablet without issue and types fine.

My main issues with this product are twofold; the battery life is poor, I am going through AA batteries like it's nobodies business keeping this running. I also have a habit of keeping the shift key held down and pressing the space bar which has never been an issue on any other keyboard I've used (I didn't even notice I did it until I started using this one) but this keyboard will not register a space when you are holding shift too. This is irritating for me but if you don't do this then obviously it's not an issue.

Overall it's good for the price but not flawless.

South Downs Way Adventure Series (Adventure Atlas)
South Downs Way Adventure Series (Adventure Atlas)
by Geographers A-Z Map Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper and easier than OS, 11 Mar 2014
I am a lover of OS maps, and of the South Downs Way so I can usually be found with two or more of the orange sheets in my rucksack when I go walking. I decided to buy this product after seeing in in a walking shop and was very glad I did. It covers the whole way and about two miles either side with the exact same Explorer OS mapping you'd get on the large sheets but it means you can get coverage for the whole trail for just over £5 rather than the ~£60 it would cost to buy all the OS maps.

It also has some very basic information on the walk such as distances from one settlement to the next and the Countryside Code. I would recommend buying another guide such as the South Downs Way: Winchester to Eastbourne: A Practical Guide with 60 Maps, Places to Stay, Places to Eat (British Walking Guides) which will provide a better commentary. Another good feature is the front and back page flaps which have the OS key on, a scale and make it easy to hold your place when out walking.

Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV WP Dark Chocolate Hiking Boot 01727/M77/01 15 UK, 49 EU, 16 US
Offered by Rest and Play Footwear LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 11 Mar 2014
I ordered these around two months ago and so far they've done me very well, indeed. I ordered Size 15 which fitted very well for me. The shoes feel solid and well-made and after daily wear-and-tear and several long walks they've held up very well. I walked along the River Itchen in Hampshire in the recent floods and they were waterproof to a fault (except when water poured over the top, obviously).

My only complaints would be that the back has rubbed slightly on my heel and that the top clasp for the laces is angled slightly strangely which means I have to re-tie them occasionally. Otherwise a very substantial and good value piece of kit. Highly recommended.

Findings
Findings
by Kathleen Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful piece of prose, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Findings (Paperback)
I was slightly sceptical when I ordered this book, I couldn't quite work out what to expect, whether it would be primarily nature writing, a travelogue or biography. It turns out it was a wonderfully melded blend of all three. The prose is beautiful as you would expect from a poet but it is also informative and entertaining. I particularly enjoyed her walk across the flotsam-scattered dunes of the Western Isles and her descriptions of Edinburgh's urban nature.

I really enjoyed reading someone else who noticed nature in a way I can relate to and who is able to describe it in a way that is not verbose or technical but somewhere in between. It certainly made my bus rides through Hampshire a little more wild and entertaining.