Profile for OPAL - Opportunities for Personal Advancement in Life > Reviews

Content by OPAL - Opportu...

OPAL - Opportunities for Personal Advancement in Life (Donamon, Roscommon, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Heal-Your-Anxiety Workbook: The New Technique for Moving from Panic to Inner Peace
by John B. Arden

5.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed and easy to follow, 6 May 2012
I sourced this workbook for our 'self-help' section at our Positive Psychology Centre. It is well written and nicely presented. It seems to be based on the CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) model and I would suggest that it would be an appropriate workbook for those looking to address basic anxiety issues. It may be more appropriate to work with a professional therapist for higher levels of anxiety. However, even in these cases, the workbook would, if nothing else, provide an insight and understanding.

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality at minimum price, 6 May 2012
I have been a Kaspersky fan for some years. I came across AVG when I was taking a look at what was on offer on Amazon. The price was really attractive, especially for a two year package. As the service I run is a self funding 'not for profit' service, we are always keen to save money where we can. A lot of time and effort goes into raising our funds and I am careful that these are used to get best value. I was a little apprehensive but having looked at other reviews I thought that I would give it a go.

The result is that we have it installed on two lap tops and two PC's at a quarter of the price we would have paid previously. AVG Internet Security is running well on all four machines. It is easy to use and I had no difficulties installing it on both Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Boost Your Confidence: Improving Self-Esteem Step-By-Step (Overcoming Books)
Boost Your Confidence: Improving Self-Esteem Step-By-Step (Overcoming Books)
by Dr Melanie Fennell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for the Price!, 6 April 2012
I purchased this on Amazon UK for £4.15 with free delivery. It was for the lending library that we are developing at our Positive Psychology centre. Having reviewed it, I have to say that it has some really useful 'self-help' strategies and techniques. For the price it outshines some of the more expensive books on the market.

The book is based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). You do need to be prepared to commit time and effort into completing the activities and tasks as they are an integral part of the CBT process. Some people struggle with working through a programme of CBT on their own and you may want to explore the benefits of consulting with a CBT therapist. However, this book provides a good starting point and you may find that it is all that you need to become confident in all that you do.

Overcoming Anger and Irritability (Overcoming Books)
Overcoming Anger and Irritability (Overcoming Books)
by Dr William Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Basic Book, 6 April 2012
Although this is a competively priced self-help book for overcoming anger and irritability, I feel that it is really only suitable for those with mild anger and irritability issues. It does give some insight and understanding of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and anger and irritability. It also provides some good basic guidence on techniques and strategies. However, I feel that it is pretty limited.

On another note, although it is possible to use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques as a 'self-help' method, you do need to be prepared to commit time and effort into doing the recording and analysis as it is the reflection on your findings that provides the insight to help change unwanted negative thoughts and behaviour. You may also find it very challenging to be objective in recognising and addressing 'Negative Thoughts and Behaviour' as many who suffer with anxiety are convinced that these are true and rational thoughts and behaviours. You may wish to explore the benefits of consulting with a CBT therapist who will be able to help you to address 'Negative Thoughts and Behaviour' objectively and also guide you through a structured course of therapy.

Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness
Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness
by Gillian Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but pretty basic self-help book, 6 April 2012
Although this is a competively priced self-help book for social anxiety, I feel that it is really only suitable for those with mild Social Aniety issues. It does give an insight and understanding of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Social Anxiety - In fact at least half of the content of the book is used up on this. It also provides some good basic guidence on techniques and strategies. However, I feel that it is pretty limited and I would recommend that a better investment would be made in purchasing one of the 'Treatments That Work' series workbooks - I have included two links for their workbooks on Anxiety Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook (Treatments That Work)or Mastery of Your Anxiety and Worry: Workbook (Treatments That Work).

Although these workbooks are more expensive, they are far more comprehensive and take you through a structured programme of activities (which are also based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy techniques).

McNett Tenacious Tape Fabric and Seam Repair - Clear , 50 x 7.5 cm
McNett Tenacious Tape Fabric and Seam Repair - Clear , 50 x 7.5 cm

2.0 out of 5 stars OutdoorSealing Repair Tape, 6 April 2012
The quality of the tape is OK. We used it to repair a small tear in a polytunnel and it has done the job. However, we needed to use an alternative on a larger tear (we were hoping to be able to do both with this purchase). The alternative tape was under £5 and is 3" wide and approximately 4 metres in length. It did the job equally as well - better in fact as I would have needed to buy a further roll of the Mcnett Tenacious Tape and join two pieces together to do this repair. It is also more flexible than the Mcnett Tenacious Tape.

I was very dissapointed by the quantity. There is only enough in length to repair one small tear as the roll is only 50cm long. In fairness, it does state the length and width in the 'product features' so this was my oversight.

My overall review is that this is VERY EXPENSIVE for what you get. The cheaper alternative tape that I subsequently purchased is just as effective and far greater value.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 10:53 PM BST

10-Minute Successful Self-Help Secrets: The Vital Law Of True Life, True Greatness, Power And Happiness by Ralph Waldo Trine (A Self-Help DVD That Includes E books, Audio and Video With Powerpoint Presentation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 25 Mar. 2012
I have purchased a number of these DVD's in the '10 Minute Successful Self-HelpSecrets' series. We purchased these for our lending library at the OPAL centre. Clients love them and have made very positive remarks about how helpful they are.

COSMOS Light Green cotton sports tennis headband / sweatband head sweat band
COSMOS Light Green cotton sports tennis headband / sweatband head sweat band

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good Value!, 25 Mar. 2012
I purchased these some time back and have been using them regularly. They last well wash after wash. For the price I thought that they may need replacing sooner. I am really impressed.

COSMOS Orange cotton sports tennis headband / sweatband head sweat band
COSMOS Orange cotton sports tennis headband / sweatband head sweat band

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 25 Mar. 2012

10-Minute Successful Self-Help Secrets: The Secret Door To Success by Florence Scovel Shinn (A Self-Help DVD That Includes E books, Audio and Video With Powerpoint Presentation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price for such a good product, 25 Mar. 2012