Profile for CS Professor > Reviews

The Price of Fish: A New Approach to Wicked Economics and Better Decisions
The Price of Fish: A New Approach to Wicked Economics and Better Decisions
by Michael Mainelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat a small piece at a time!, 26 Oct 2011
This book is so jam-packed with ideas and concepts that initially it left a dunderhead such as I am impressed but nonplussed. Once I started dipping into The Price of Fish, a few pages at a time selected randomly, the book really came to life. The results are stunning! Each dip is a gold-mine of new, fresh and exciting material. Even the shortest of sections is well written, capable of standing alone by itself and delivers thought-provoking concepts. It is hard to see how even two heads could possibly contain such a huge volume of information and connection to write such a book!

Compaq Presario CQ56-102SA 15.6" Laptop (AMD V140 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Black, DVD/RW)

2.0 out of 5 stars Victory of style over function, 12 Oct 2011
Everything other reviewers said, good and bad, is true, although mine has been reliable so far. I installed Ubuntu without ever trying Windows and it runs well and with all features and keys supported.

Now I will say why I do not like it. This laptop has "DESIGNER" written all over it! I think the designer was going for the "black monolith" look. They achieved that goal with knobs and hooks (or without them, actually)! It is so black and featureless that you can hardly see the grey keys on the keyboard or actually locate the mouse pad or its buttons. Finding USB ports requires bright light and a good deal of squinting.

I also find it hard to believe that the designer ever actually used a keyboard and certainly never as a touch typist. And why oh why are the function buttons to the left, thus offsetting the keyboard and making its contrast-free, flat keys even harder to find. I have had to buy a USB keyboard (well done Microsoft, it is good!) just to be able to type and a USB mouse just to be able to move around. A user input disaster and one that obviates much of the benefit of the laptop format since a great deal has to be dragged around with it. A great shame because the performance, screen and price are good.

Clearly a victory of style over function! I will try to fob it off on someone else as soon as I can ... I hope they are a designer!

Buffalo Ministation 1TB USB 2.0 Slimline Portable External Hard Drive - Black
Buffalo Ministation 1TB USB 2.0 Slimline Portable External Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent encrypted USB drive for Ubuntu, 11 Oct 2011
My backup/external drive requirements have grown enormously over the past few years, mainly because of digital media and because everyone in the family is grafted to their own laptops. Everyone needs to backup their work (you do back up, don't you?) as simply as possible. The old 300-odd Mb USB-powered drive simply wasn't large enough any more; the lovely AC-powered Hitachi 1Tb USB drive has the capacity but it's too static and physically large to be as useful as it might be. After considerable agonising, I went for the Buffalo, a brand with which I was not familiar, but had a good Amazon user rating and a good price. I'm glad that I did, so far. Remember: when buying a backup drive it's reliability before cost or looks!

With Ubuntu, the drive works right out of the box without any fuss. You can drag and drop files and directories and you can use rsync for backups as well. Performance is good enough to supply HD video without glitch, even with a base model netbook. No surprises at all and, as others have said it looks and feels good. The big blue bar is a bit flash for my taste, but a bit of tape fixed that.

Perhaps more importantly, Ubuntu allows you to encrypt the drive easily, so that material like financial information or work in progress that you wouldn't want to get stolen or lost with your laptop can be better protected. It isn't easy or convenient to hide your laptop or to encrypt files on it, but it is simple to hide a device smaller than a paperback and that, once plugged in, automatically is unencrypted. We've now moved this sort of information off our laptops and put it on this drive. There's an additional convenience of no longer being locked-in to a particular laptop so that they become even more of a commodity and you don't have to get a giant disk. Of course, it is necessary to backup this backup drive and that's where the older Hitachi drive comes in. If you don't have that, then a second one of these drives, rsync'ed makes sense. Just make sure that you remember your drive's password - it's not easy to reset it!

P.S. About 3 months later and the drive's still going strong. June 2014: still in use (although not often enough! Y.D.B.U.D.Y?)!

White 7" Touchscreen Netbook Google Android Notebook Tablet PC E-Book Reader with WiFi - 2GB Netbook

3.0 out of 5 stars Great price but modest function, 3 May 2011
Needed to evaluate touch screen notebook/netbook because I think it is how laptops/PCs will go in the future. Functionality is limited and the basically hard-wired nature of the system is very frustrating and likely to give way to the style of soft-software we enjoy on PCs. Typing with a stylus is almost as bad as thumbing with a mobile but, hey, "everyone" loves that, especially since touch typists are getting pretty thin on the ground. About the only thing that's really useful is the browser and even its performance is underwhelming. The physical form is appealing and battery life quite impressive. There is a limited unix/linux inside but not much use without a keyboard. No doubt there is some way of hacking in, but I saw as much as I wanted to see. This was an inexpensive way, however, of experiencing how I think future PCs may be and how to design and implement web-based systems accordingly.

HoMedics SoundSpa Time Projecting Natural Sounds Clock Radio - SS-4500
HoMedics SoundSpa Time Projecting Natural Sounds Clock Radio - SS-4500

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise maker, 23 Jan 2011
I thought I'd reviewed this device! Anyway, this is a very effective device for masking noisy environments, e.g., planes flying overhead, noisy neighbours, clubs, etc. I bought a travel noise maker 10 years ago and the improvement in sound of this one is remarkable. I nearly went to sleep while testing it! It also has a good clock radio. The time projector is a bit of a gadget but does no harm if you don't like it.

DEWALT Protector Clear Ploycarbon Safety Glasses - Yellow/Clear, One Size
DEWALT Protector Clear Ploycarbon Safety Glasses - Yellow/Clear, One Size
Price: 4.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety glasses, 12 Dec 2010
These glasses are so comfortable that once you put them on you will forget to take them off. They seal around the eyes very well without fogging and I use them even with a safety shield to keep out the fine dust. I also use them sometimes when I go out in the street to keep grit and the wind out of my eyes! They don't look at all (that) weird, either.

June 2014: still use them all the time for work and street, particularly after the cataract operations (I can see again!).

Rolson Tools 60390 LED Head Loupe Magnifier Visor
Rolson Tools 60390 LED Head Loupe Magnifier Visor
Price: 11.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, works well, 8 Nov 2010
The quality is fine for my purpose and the lowest magnification lens is all that I need (so far!) but there's a box full of lenses. The LED lamp is bright enough to help in most situations. Given the cost of more expensive solutions (without useful lamps in all of them), and I have tried three others so far, these are the ones that I use day in, day out. Of course they make you look a bit goofy, but I just keep them on most of the time I'm working anyway. I'll probably end up using them to read the kids their bedtime story before too long - hope I don't fall asleep with them on. If you find it hard to see close up and need your hands free, then 1) accept that you'll probably buy a lot of things that don't do what you need 2) give these a try as the best value I've found yet.

Draper 19154 Ear Defenders
Draper 19154 Ear Defenders
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Protect your ears, 8 Nov 2010
Clamp tightly over the head and angled out so you can put them on over face shield, loupes, etc. Deaden the loudest power tool sounds effectively. Cheapest I could find but do the job.

Silverline 140863 Face Shield and Visor Clear
Silverline 140863 Face Shield and Visor Clear
Price: 9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential eye protection for power sawing, 8 Nov 2010
Full visor gives better vision and greater protection than goggles, doesen't fog up and flips up easily. If you're doing power sawing or things that fling up debris, it's essential.

Hand Drum (Tunable 10")
Hand Drum (Tunable 10")

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find item, good price, good quality., 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Hand Drum (Tunable 10")
Not easy to find. Better overall price than ebay. Good quality hand drum, made into banjo.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10