Profile for CS Professor > Reviews

Content by CS Professor

CS Professor (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
LEICKE KanaaN PC VGA to TV Composite Video RGB Converter + Scart Adapter + 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA Phono Audio Cable | FREE SHIPPING WITH SUPER SAVER DELIVERY
Offered by Leicke Distributor Germany
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat piece of kit but ..., 17 Mar 2013
This device works very, very well in some respects but I found the VGA to be too fuzzy. It has a wide range of interfaces and I think I tried them all in an attempt to get a clear picture with my laptop. There is an amazing range of cables and adaptors with it, too. The instructions, sadly, are almost useless particularly considering how many functions there are and how, for some people, this device may be just what they are seeking.

iZKABasics - High Speed HDMI to HDMI 1M Cable - 24K Gold Connectors - For Use With SKY HD, Blu-Ray, DVD, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Mini Computer, Philips, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Vizio, Sony, Apple TV, Plasma LCD LED HD TV, Virgin Box etc - Type A to Type A - 1.4V Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Life Time Warranty)
Offered by iBox Ltd
Price: 2.99

Artis Handmade Bamboo Wooden PC Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - Compact Version
Artis Handmade Bamboo Wooden PC Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - Compact Version
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 14 Mar 2013
This keyboard and mouse combo really is made of bamboo! It's very appealing and works well. My only complaints are that the space bar is too short and the keys are not marked boldly enough to see easily. Note that the keyboard is US, not UK, layout.

Absolute Beginner's Concertina: A New Guide to Playing the Twenty Key Anglo Concertina
by Michael Richard Bramich
Price: 8.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for absolute beginners, 24 Jan 2013
An enthusiastic, but untutored banjo player, I bought a 20-key concertina from eBay for a change of pace. This little book, pamphlet really, came with it. I looked at the book, used it a while, then put it up on a high shelf - I don't know how much it helped. My daughter, definitely an absolute beginner, found it almost completely opaque. Finally, I just sat down and practised scales and simple tunes until the trickiness of the concertina finally gelled in my thick head.

I've since enjoyed the concertina quite a lot and play it for at least a few minutes every day. I replaced the reading material in the toilet with the concertina. That has proved a good stratagem for encouraging regular practice, though I fear it may limit my performance opportunities! At least the book doesn't seem to have done any harm, unlike the traumatic accordion lessons of my childhood (see my book [[...]]).

Buffalo MiniStation Slim 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Buffalo MiniStation Slim 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable drive, 14 Jan 2013
Good price, 1TB capacity. Backup your stuff, there's no excuse not to with this. Hide it to make sure that it doesn't get lost or stolen with your life's work. Second one I bought, the other's still working too.

The Last Man
The Last Man
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A difficult but worthwhile read, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Last Man (Kindle Edition)
Two hundred years old soon, a book written not all that long after Napoleon. The language is very high-faluting by modern standards and you will need massive commitment to overcome not only the vocabulary, but the entire sense of it. It makes me wonder how much human thought has evolved since this time.

No dainty Austen social comedy; The Last Man is a sweeping, raw story of passion, heartbreak, romance, politics, war and catastrophe, set in the latter part of our century. Notionally science fiction, it really is an excursion into the mind of Mary Shelley, not the Third Millenium. Only for those willing to make the major time and linguistic investment.

I think that I wish I had read this before I wrote my own apocalypse novel, Glass House (Glass House: Climate Change in the Third Millennium). It is startlingly similar in scenario, but utterly worlds apart in language and thought.

The Book of Tea
The Book of Tea
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange little book, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Book of Tea (Kindle Edition)
This is an odd little book, clearly from another age.

It is relaxing to read and thought-provoking. It may not be everyone's, er, cup of tea, but some are likely to find it very much to their taste. Give it a try.

T.I.M.E.
T.I.M.E.
Price: 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story-telling but ..., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: T.I.M.E. (Kindle Edition)
Let me say first that I liked the story and I found it a compelling read. I even enjoyed the large chunks of history used (from Gore Vidal's Empire series?) to explain what is going on and even the fairly straightforward way of unloading the characters' "back stories". It's a bit crude, but why not do it that way? In the execution, however, the author definitely falls down. First, there are serious formatting problems and it is really disconcerting to have the Times (or similar serif font) change into a hard-to-read Courier-like typewriter font. I think I know the problem, it's to do with the Word typescript being changed from a font on one computer to a font that doesn't exist in the particular instance of Word. The other problem is a weird sloppiness in spelling and grammar; two specific examples I can recall are incorrect use of "it's" and the spelling of Fremont's name as Freemont. It's weird because otherwise the novel seems well researched, tightly constructed and pleasantly difficult to discern what is historical fact from the author's invention. Anyway, none of these problems are insuperable and I'd be glad to read more from this author!

The Future, Imperfect: Six Dystopian Short Stories
The Future, Imperfect: Six Dystopian Short Stories
Price: 1.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short stories, 26 Dec 2012
A theme-related series of stories about a West Coast dystopia in which the environment has been ruined and then recovered, up to a point, by all-powerful corporations. Those living outside the "protection" of the corporations are effectively disenfranchised from any sort of comfortable life. Very well written, the research seems as sound as much as I know, and with some compelling characterisations. The problem I had is what one gets out of it. When I wrote my environmental disaster novel Glass House (http://www.amazon.com/Glass-House-Climate-Millennium-ebook/dp/B005U3U69C), I hoped to shock people into thinking about climate change and preparing for it on a useful scale. The Future, Imperfect does not particularly shock, perhaps because it seems such a logical outcome, nor does it strongly suggest a path away from this particular future. I look forward to the author's further writing on the subject.

Samsung E2121 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Samsung E2121 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Offered by MyMemory
Price: 20.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic mobile, 26 Dec 2012
Very good price. Phone works fine. Looks good but is clearly not one of the large screen, touch devices at the height of fashion. All of the features work but music player is much impeded by the memory chip not being accessible from outside the phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10