Profile for N. Hall > Reviews

Content by N. Hall

N. Hall (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
YongNuo Flash YN-565EX TTL Wireless Flash for Speedlite Nikon D7000 D90 D80 D5100 D3200 D3100 SB900 SB800 SB700 D4 D800 D700 D600 D300S D7100 LF230
Offered by Lycheer

4.0 out of 5 stars This flash has a very easy menu and setting up the Slave mode group was ..., 26 Feb. 2016
Have had a big play with this in combination with my D7200 and primary SB700 flash. This flash has a very easy menu and setting up the Slave mode group was very straight-forward... being able to control the power via he camera's built in commander mode. Screwed into one of my light stands using the included flash stand. Works a treat. Only very minor complaint is the flash's drop down diffuser is a bit awkward to pull out. Strong fingernails are needed. Other than that... I wish I'd known about it before I bought the SB700.

Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches
Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief, but interesting. too short, 4 Feb. 2015
Firstly, I'm not a programmer or electronics whizz. Though, I do know some 3D software scripting. The sketches were easy to follow and the book introduced me to a few new concepts... most of which some sense. I'll just have to try and write some of my own examples to get better at understanding them.

According to my phone's kindle reader, though, more than 20% of the book was the index, at the end. So, I was a bit surprised. I know it was cheap. I was just expecting a little more. Still worth the money, if you're new to the Arduino.

Auraglow BC/B22 Remote Controlled Colour Changing Light Bulb
Auraglow BC/B22 Remote Controlled Colour Changing Light Bulb
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice multi-colour lighting solution for your rooms, 31 Dec. 2014
Really nice multi-colour lighting solution for your rooms, but it's not really bright enough to be used as a main bulb. I have two wall-lamps and they create a nice low-level ambience to the room, but no more than that. Perhaps, if you have a main light with multiple bulb fitments, it might be enough? One reason is that you are only getting half a bulb. The bottom half of the bulb is taken up by the housing (probably the LED switching circuit and IR receiver). The whole bulb fitting is quite long, too. My old single-colour, low-energy bulbs fitted in my wall-shades very snug, but these one protrude quite far. So, you're best off with a deep socket or lamp-shade My mother has a couple for her up-lights, again, as a bit of room ambience... and she loves them. So, I knew they weren't going to be bright lights.

The colours are nice and strong and the various modes seem to work fine, but you're probably only going to play with the settings when you have a party! 'Fade' and 'Smooth' are almost identical. Smooth seems to be a lot faster in its transitions between colours, though. Also, the dim/brighten buttons only work with fixed colours. You cannot dim the light during the animated RGB sequences.

A video of it in action - http://youtu.be/DRrlsEyhD1k

SanDisk 8GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
SanDisk 8GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
Offered by Emaan Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Loop too small, 1 April 2014
It works a treat, but the loop, in the top corner that allows you to thread it through a lanyard is too small. In fact, I can barely think of anything that would comfortably slot through it... thin wire cable, perhaps?

The Art of Titanfall
The Art of Titanfall
by Andy McVittie

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous! Front to back images of loveliness!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Art of Titanfall (Hardcover)
I hate buying books like this because I just look at them and get jealous of the artistry inside. Don't expect any tutorials or breakdowns of how it was made, apart from an occasional explanation of the artwork. Just look at it and say to yourself, "People like you make me sick!" :-)

Jealousy is a fickle thing. Enjoy!

Getting Started with UDK
Getting Started with UDK

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly written tutorials. Noobs should avoid!, 1 April 2014
I have had a similar experience as Chello, above.

The book starts of with simple modelling techniques which, for the most-part, are fine and easy to follow. I already knew a fair bit about the modelling and texturing side. So, I'm being lenient towards this section. I was more interested in the Kismet side of it. I never get around to finishing the book, though; As the rest of it fell apart... in terms of quality.

I realise that Kismet is a complicated beast, but the way in which the author races through the construction of the pieces is difficult to follow. There's plenty of screen-grabs to let you see what your Kismet setup should look like, but there is very little, if any, description on what you are doing and why? I had to load the .udk level files into Unreal to try and compare what I had attempted with the author's. I got as far as connecting the tower setup, but it became too much going back and forth through the pages.
"Where was that?"
"What was that called?"
"Have I seen that before?"
There is no real structure to the tutorials - almost everything is left with it's default naming convention, instead of being correctly named. This would have made it a lot easier to find the correct node/object/resource than a generic "Trigger_0" or TriggerVolume_1" which won't always match your own generic names, especially if you've created a previous node, then deleted it. Regardless, it wouldn't have helped the lack of explanation, though.

The included code/game is buggy - Sometimes the enemies won't spawn because an enemy is standing on the spawn-point and not running towards the goal; If the player runs into the center square, the camera sometimes freaks out; And It regularly crashed UDK, if I launched the game in a window.

I am interested in jumping straight to the sections where you create your own HUD and (also) turning what little of a game I have built into a standalone. However, as Unreal Engine 4 has just been released, I see little point in continuing. I'm just glad the ebook version was only a tenner.

I'm sure the author knows his stuff, but this was a difficult read. I did learn some stuff, no doubt, but nowhere near the amount the book was trying to get across to its readers. So, ultimately... a waste of time and money.

SainSmart MEGA 2560 Board for Arduino
SainSmart MEGA 2560 Board for Arduino
Offered by SainSmart Tech UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Minor niggle. Otherwise, great., 4 Oct. 2013
I have never used an original Arduino Mega. So, I can't compare, but this feels like it's built to a good standard.

My only slight problem is with the USB connector block, on the board. Either the supplied cable connection is ever-so-slightly too thick or the board connector is ever-so-slightly too small. 'Snug fit' is an understatement. Don't get me wrong... it fits and it doesn't have any 'play in it', but removing the cable takes more effort than it should and holding the board/USB mounting whilst pulling the cable [from the connector] is a bit scary. However, I've just decided to leave the cable in, now. Considering the price, if, in the future, it does break, it was only half the price of a genuine Arduino!

As for running sketches, it hasn't faltered on anything I have thrown at it, yet. All the pin-outs seem to work, too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 11:48 AM GMT

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly well., 8 Mar. 2013
At the price I paid for it, I can't complain. Oh... go on then! No. Honestly. It works perfectly well. I've had no troubles with it, so far. The only thing that might be a tiny problem is if you have two USB slots side-by-side and you try to put this in the left-hand slot with the right-hand slot in use. With the SD car sticking out of the side, you might have a problem fitting it in. In which case, swap the two over (if possible). Or buy a short USB extension cable for a couple of quid.

Natural Wood Block Magnetic Knife Holder for Wall 45cm
Natural Wood Block Magnetic Knife Holder for Wall 45cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Mar. 2013
Amusingly packaged in bubble-wrap, a black bin-liner and packing tape. Well-protected, for sure, but looked like I'd had two kilo's or class A drugs delivered to work! :-)

The magnets are strong. I bought two and wondered what would happen if I pushed them togther? They took a bit of prying apart. The wood feels like it's got a good bit of weight to it. The fixtures were adequate. If you're bothered about seeing the screw-holes, you can fill them up with some wood filler, I guess, but they're set back and I haven't noticed, nor cared if I could see them.

Cateye Velo 5 Cycle Computer
Cateye Velo 5 Cycle Computer
Offered by Parkers of Bolton

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but horribly-designed RESET button., 3 July 2012
Nice, cheap cycle computer with just the basics to see you through. It's all I needed as all my really useful info is recorded on my phone's app. I found that the default 700mm wheel setting gave a very-slightly slower reading than the GPS on my phone and after a 40 mile ride, the odometer displayed1 mile less than my phone. A quick tweak to the setting sorted this out, mind. Speaking of settings...

The button on the back of the unit is a very soft, wobbly, rubber button, slightly set into the unit. It is VERY easily pushed too far down. I pushed my first one in straight away and had to send it back. Knowing this, I was careful with the second one and STILL mamanged to do it again. Only this time I managed to pop it back out. I know it was cheap, but this should be a really easy thing to put right, surely? The main button on the front of the unit is nice and sturdy and feels like it can take a lot of presses.

Apart from the reset button, it has worked flawlessly and the display is nice and clear.

Page: 1 | 2