Profile for P. R. Phillips > Reviews

Content by P. R. Phillips

P. R. Phillips (South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Illusion
Illusion
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusion- Renaissance, 6 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Illusion (Audio CD)
This is Renaissance's second album with the first crew and it was superb. Mick Dunford who was later to join the group was guest artist and wrote the fine song Mr Pine. The others were former YARDBIRDS members Keith Relf and Jim McCarthy joined by vocalist Jane Relf, keyboard player John Hawken who later joined Strawbs and bassist Louis Cennamo. A real gem of an album.

Memory Almost Full (Deluxe Packaging)
Memory Almost Full (Deluxe Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Almost Full - Paul McCartney., 6 Jun. 2016
This is a serious Paul McCartney product. None of his experimental stuff. He has proved to be very versatile. It's very similar to his albums Backyard and New, perhaps a bit louder but the magic's still there. Memory almost full.

Thoughts Of Moving On
Thoughts Of Moving On

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts Of Moving On- Lighthouse, 22 April 2016
This review is from: Thoughts Of Moving On (Audio CD)
At last it's on CD. I first listened to Lighthouse when I was at school in the 1970's and later bought most of their albums on vinyl. "Sunny Days" has always been available on CD but it's been a patient innings waiting for "One Fine Morning" and "Can You Feel It". "40 years of Lighthouse" and "Best Of Lighthouse" filled in the gaps wrt "Can You Feel It", "Thoughts Of Moving On" and "One Fine Morning" until these individual albums became available. The folky tracks on this album are my favourites but they were never put on the two collections. I've got the full set I wanted now so I'm happy.

First Comes The Night (UK Edition)
First Comes The Night (UK Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Come The Night - Chris Isaak., 22 April 2016
Excellent album. His music is very catching and I think he would have made an excellent "Travelling Wilbury". He matures with every album he makes. I won't need a Definitive Collection of his as I possess every album of his that has come out. "First Comes The Night" is a definitive acquisition.

THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION
THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Collection-Dan Seals., 22 April 2016
An excellent album, in the class of his predecessors, England Dan and John Ford Coley, he being England Dan. His brother was Jim Seals, part of a very similar sounding duo, Seals and Crofts. I never followed up on "England" Dan until now. Quite regrettable but I'm thankful I made the discovery. I now wait patiently for England Dan and John Ford Coley's earlier albums, their debut album , their Fables album and "I Hear The Music" album which strangely haven't found their way onto CD. They changed record companies after their "I hear The Music" album which might explain it.

Crazy Moon
Crazy Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Horse - Crazy Moon., 22 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Crazy Moon (Audio CD)
You could hear Neil Young's influence on this album. There were some nice tracks but I preferred the earlier albums. Their next and last album was too heavy for my liking but this album still had some melodious tracks. I don't like the heavy metal stuff. I'd still recommend this album.

Just Like Gravity
Just Like Gravity
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the title of this album should have been "Just Like Crosby". This album like their first one is ..., 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Just Like Gravity (Audio CD)
I am privilaged to own both CPR albums. Quite jazzy but David Crosby was always the jazziest of the Crosby Stills, Nash and occasionally Young "brothers". I first learnt of CPR when I purchassed Crosby's Box Set. The PR in CPR were also on the Crosby & Nash's double album, Raymond (surname), his son, I remember, wrote the first song on the album which prompted me to buy the album. Maybe the title of this album should have been "Just Like Crosby". This album like their first one is a must.

Complete Albums Collection
Complete Albums Collection
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars I especially liked Paul's first two albums "Paul Simon" and "There Goes ..., 18 Nov. 2015
I especially liked Paul's first two albums "Paul Simon" and "There Goes Rhymin Simon", "Still Crazy After All These Years" was supurb too. Then to me his music began to take a slide (my opinion). The only other albums I liked were "One Trick Pony", "Hearts & Bones", "Surprise" and the real surprise "Songs From The Capeman" the latter containing a Latin American or Spanish flavour. "Songs From The Capeman" was exceptional and I love it. This was a fantastic deal still as a compilation of all his later albums still made wonderfull listening.

Reinventing Richard: The Songs Of Richard Farina
Reinventing Richard: The Songs Of Richard Farina

5.0 out of 5 stars No doubt Plainsong made the songs stand out better but I've grown up with today's music, 18 Nov. 2015
A wonderfull album. Ian Matthews used a lot of Farina's material in the past and this was a continuation. No doubt Plainsong made the songs stand out better but I've grown up with today's music. Lets hope Plainsong or Ian Matthews highlight another forgotten artist soon and keep it up. "No Grey Faith" highlighting Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention fame was also supurbly done by Ian Matthews.

Legacy
Legacy

2.0 out of 5 stars This album was a disappointment. I only liked the first track, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Legacy (Audio CD)
This album was a disappointment. I only liked the first track. It was a noisy album, too rocky for my liking. Gone was the good old Poco magic and Eaglesy sound. They were to improve though with their "Running Horse" album. "Bareback" a live album which came out about the same time as "Running Horse" showed a vast improvement. Like "Imamorta" this one failed dismilly in my eyes. Perhaps I'm blind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18