Profile for P. R. Phillips > Reviews

Content by P. R. Phillips

P. R. Phillips (South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Revolution Days
Revolution Days

3.0 out of 5 stars Revolution Days - Les Holrroyd, Barclay James Harvest., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Revolution Days (Audio CD)
Some enjoyable tracks but I wouldn't rave about the album. I found two tracks exceptionally good but the rest very average. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't give the track titles and I can't remember the two tracks I liked.

Frog City
Frog City
Price: 13.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Frog City - Southern Comfort, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Frog City (Audio CD)
This is Southern Comfort's second album. Ian Matthews, ex Fairport Convention and Plainsong who used to be,Southern Comfort's front man before going on a solo career (25 albums) cut 3 albums with them and were known as Matthews Southern Comfort. When Matthews left Southern Comfort the group cut 3 albums before going their own way. The cover of their first album has a tea cup on it. Frog City is excellent, an excellent follow up to their first album Southern Comfort. I can't wait for their third album to be made available on CD.

Oh Yes I Can
Oh Yes I Can

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yes I Can - David Crosby, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Oh Yes I Can (Audio CD)
Oh Yes I Can and Thousand Roads by David Crosby are excellent albums. David adds more jazz to his music while retaining a thread of the CSNY magic. I often wish he'd collaborate more with the other CSNY members particularly Graham Nash. I enjoy listening to the Crosby & Nash albums. David was originally part of Byrds, that 1960-1970's group, that contained Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman.

Croz
Croz
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Croz - David Crosby, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Croz (Audio CD)
A great album containing the threads of Crosby Still and Nash. David is more jazzy but together with his lost son James Raymond's prolific songwriting ability this album carries on where the last Crosby & Nash album, a double CD, left off. That album was the first time I discovered James Raymond's song writing ability particularily the first track on CD 1. Together with "Thousand Roads" and "Oh Yes I Can" "Croz" makes an awsome threesome. Mark Knopfler makes a guest appearance on the first track.

The River & The Thread
The River & The Thread
Price: 13.81

5.0 out of 5 stars The River & Thread - Rosanne Cash, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The River & The Thread (Audio CD)
Another excellent album produced by her husband John Leventhal. Rodney Crowell who needs no introduction co writes one of the tracks. Rosanne's style of music is so similar to Rodney's, both of whom I discovered together on a promotional album called "Cowboys and something". Sorry I'm not at home to check the right title. The music is soothing and easy flowing. The album opens up in a booklet and after paging through it you get to the sleave with the CD in. Clever.

Art of Obscurity
Art of Obscurity
Price: 26.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Of Obscurity - Iain Matthews, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Art of Obscurity (Audio CD)
Iain Matthews has appeared for Fairport Convention, Matthews Southern Comfort and Plainsong and has 25 solo albums under his belt. He has also had many collaborations with other musicians, Albums "Hamilton Poole" and "More Than A Song" are excellent examples of his enourmous talent. Art Of Obscurity, his last solo album he says, is excellent. His craftmanship is as good as always. It's about 58 minutes long. It's the creme on the top.

One Track Mind
One Track Mind
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 31.41

3.0 out of 5 stars One Track Mind - Rod Clements, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: One Track Mind (Audio CD)
This album was produced in 1994 and was more or less an accoustic album but with an electric sound. It is a bluesy album but includes a few of Rod's best known Lindisfarne songs done accousticaly. I'm not into Blues music so didn't really enjoy this album so much. It's a far cry from Rod's later solo albums and Lindisfarne's "Promenade" the latter really another Rod Clements album.

Odd Man Out
Odd Man Out
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd Man Out - Rod Clements, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Odd Man Out (Audio CD)
Not as good as his dabut solo album Stamping Ground but is worth getting. Has some good quality songs. If you've got Stamping Ground I'd get Odd Man Out and his second album One Track Mind which I've ordered. Rod Clements was prominent on Lindisfarne's 2002 album Promenade which to me was Lindisfarne's best album to date. Style and personnel have changed over the years one mustn't forget.

These Days
These Days
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 22.13

3.0 out of 5 stars These Days - Vince Gill, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: These Days (Audio CD)
I liked Vince Gill's songwriting when he was with Pure Praerie league and enjoyed lots of his earlier solo albums. I stopped buying his albums but thought this 4 CD collection would be worth it as, as with many artists, their music improves with technology (up to date musical instruments). Although I liked only half the music on this album, what I liked was good quality. I squeezed one good album out of it and certainly don't regret getting this album. My condenced edit, 77 minutes, was like "Souveners", one of Vince Gill's Best Of's. Not every track can be brilliant. I highly recommend this album.

Amigos
Amigos
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Amigos - Lindisfarne, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Amigos (Audio CD)
A very nice album showing that Lindisfarne is still going strong. Alun Hull's influence is very noticible but Rod Clements certainly has a hand on the tiller. I never knew that Lindisfarne had carried on the good work since the 1970's until when I ordered Promenade their best ever in my opinion in the modern era I knew I had to get their other albums.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17