Profile for elainesharples > Reviews

elainesharples

What If Christians Grew Up?: The Missing Story of Christianity
What If Christians Grew Up?: The Missing Story of Christianity

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 4 Jun. 2014
Very good. Very quotable and lots to think and pray about. Would really benefit from a good proof-read though - far too many typos.

Encounters With Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life's Biggest Questions
Encounters With Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life's Biggest Questions

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 7 May 2014
I love this book - it should be turned into a course for skeptics - I hope it will be

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful and thought-provoking, 14 Nov. 2012
I find myself caught between those who tell me that hell is a place of eternal torment and should be warned against at every evangelistic opportunity and those who seem to have dismissed it altogether as inconsistent with a God of love and mercy. Although held by wise and godly leaders with much more knowledge than me, I am not entirely convinced by either standpoint. So what should I believe? `The Lie of Hell' rightly begins by establishing that the place to look for truth is in the teaching of Jesus - that is the foundation - and all other teaching needs to come into line with what He has revealed to us. The author then goes on to make a convincing case that the words used by Jesus and translated in our New Testaments as `Hell' - Hades and Gehenna - could very easily describe two separate places; the second being a place of destruction rather than eternal suffering, and the first, although a place of torment, may not be eternal.

As well as looking at both old and new testaments the book also responds to other authors on the subject - which I found very helpful indeed.

This is a very useful and thought-provoking contribution to the debate and I am sure that I will find myself quoting it in future discussions.