Profile for Jack Fletcher > Reviews

Content by Jack Fletcher

Jack Fletcher (Manchester, England)

LG RHT497H Digital TV Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc  Drive & DVD Recorder
LG RHT497H Digital TV Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc Drive & DVD Recorder

3.0 out of 5 stars LG digital recorder, 16 Nov. 2010
Bought this recorder as a present for my brother as he wanted to record to both hard drive and to disc.

He is satisfied with the machine and says that it does what it says on the box.

However, as I paid for it I would add that my reason for selecting this recorder was that it was good value for money, it came with free delivery and it arrived on the day the carrier said it would.

Jack Fletcher.

Play Dead
Play Dead
by Harlan Coben

3.0 out of 5 stars Coben's early days, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Play Dead (Paperback)
As I am a regular reader of Coben, and having read most of his best-sellers, I was unimpressed with this book (his first).

The plot was well thought out although pretty obvious where it was going. The writer over did the lovey-dovey side of the relationships of the main characters and every woman was either beautiful or drop-dead beautiful. It was easy to see the book was written by a naive young man, still wet behind the ears.

However, I must admit that I did enjoy the book but it is also fair to say he has progressed in leaps and bounds since those early days.

On the other hand it could be that I am a cynical old git and I suggest the reader makes their own mind up.

Bloodline (Tom Thorne Novels)
Bloodline (Tom Thorne Novels)
by Mark Billingham

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloodline, 28 July 2010
This is a very good book and well worth a read, as are most of Billingham's books. A good plot but perhaps a bit gory for some people's taste. Also, there is plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.

Unfortunately, when the book arrived I realized I had already read the book. However, I will make a point of re-reading it some time in the future.

Toshiba Regza 32AV615DB 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview (2012 model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars 32" Toshiba Regza, 31 Oct. 2009
I bought this television because having compared it with other 32" televisions I considered it to be good value for the price.

Having owned for one month I am satisfied I made the right choice as it does everything a more expensive model would do.

The only criticism I could make is that the sound volume is a bit on the low side as I wear a hearing aid.

Nevertheless, well worth the money.

Gone Tomorrow: (Jack Reacher 13)
Gone Tomorrow: (Jack Reacher 13)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Gone Tomorrow, 10 July 2009
The Reacher books have become somewhat repetitive but are still, nevertheless, enjoyable.

I have read all of Child's books and I think Gone Tomorrow is the best of the last four.

This writer is popular with other members of my family and I will therefore buy the next Child book. If and when, it is published.

Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye
Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye
by Stuart MacBride

5.0 out of 5 stars Blind Eye, 10 July 2009
An excellent book. As always MacBride writes with a mixture of extreme brutality and humour. His characters are believable and realistic, although D.I. Steele pushes the boundary of what would be allowed in today's modern police force. After all, pushing a suspects head into a toilet bowl and flushing is a form of water-boarding; even if many readers would agree with what she did.

I look forward to his next book.

Long Lost
Long Lost
by Harlan Coben

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Lost, 10 July 2009
This review is from: Long Lost (Hardcover)
A good read and a novel idea. However, Myron comes across as a bit of a mummy's boy and this annoyed me.

The Coben books that do not feature Bolitar are, in my opinion, better.

Flesh House
Flesh House
by Stuart MacBride

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 25 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Flesh House (Hardcover)
This is a good, well-written and interesting book.

However, it is not as good as his previous efforts, mainly because there is too much emphasis on the personalities of two of the main characters. For example, both the inspectors are not as most readers would see as average police officers. The female is outrageously butch and the other a bad-tempered fat slob. It seems very unlikely you could find two such officers in the same police station.

In fact the whole book, at least to me, is over-the-top, albeit an enjoyable and easy read.