ARRAY(0xb31bd198)

PattyBoutik Sexy Drape Cowl Neck Long Sleeve Party Knit Dress
Offered by Patty Fashions
Price: £24.99 - £27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, flattering..love it., 25 Mar 2013
So why 4 starts not 5? This jumper dress is my favorite top right now - it is quite long and can come to my knee's - however, I like to 'rouche' it up a little and wear with leggings and I find it to be one of the most flattering tops I own. I love the fine knit of it and I love the long sleeves and the flattering cowl neck.
The reason for 4 stars not 5 is because, as I'm washing it, it is kind of bobbling a bit. It is rather static too! (will need to buy some static guard). However, that said - this item is just too flattering and good looking not to get a good review from me. Even with the washing issue, I could not be without it now. It is my staple.
I am a size 12/14, curvy and about 5ft7. (I always find it helpful when buying online to see if other people with a similar size got on well with an item, so that's why I put this in.)

Blue Banana - Black and Grey Striped Long Tunic Jumper
Blue Banana - Black and Grey Striped Long Tunic Jumper
Offered by Blue Banana

5.0 out of 5 stars Flattering & keeping it's shape, 25 Mar 2013
I got this for xmas, so have washed and worn it almost daily since then! It has truly kept it's shape and not bobbled in the wash at all. I wear it without the belt because I prefer to lengthen and skim my tummy. I'm curvy - between a 12/14 and about 5ft7. This could be worn as a dress for me with tights, but i love it with leggings. Love it. The stripe pattern is a good elongating aid and the top is just very flattering. Very impressed with it's shape holding in the wash. Oh, should mention, when I first got this, it was quite clingy, but after wearing it for about an hour, it "found" my shape very well and now I find it clings in the 'right' way.

The Theory and Practice of Goldsmithing
The Theory and Practice of Goldsmithing
by Erhard Brepohl

5.0 out of 5 stars Hefty manual for serious study, 10 Oct 2012
This is, in my opinion, the best Goldsmith book about. I do prefer it to oppi untrachts big tome, but that too has it's place.
It's not projects or inspiration, it is 100% the why's & wherefores of metallurgy. WHY silver does this or that and what that means to someone trying to form it.(& then techniques)..
It covers far too much for me to list here.. The 1st half of this book is more theory and understanding metals and formulas. The second half deals with all the techniques you could think of - engraving, enameling, stone settings, smithing, fabricating, finishing - the list really does go on.
I would not be without this book for reference - even if I cannot do a technique myself, I need to know sometimes HOW it is done in order to know if it can go into the outsourcing process of a design & what I might have to consider etc.
Probably a book for professional jewellers, students & teachers and people really really interested in how this stuff is actually done by hand!
Hope that helps.. Surprised it hasn't been reviewed here yet actually.

Blue Banana Black Lace Up Bell Sleeved Tunic Top
Blue Banana Black Lace Up Bell Sleeved Tunic Top
Offered by Blue Banana

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice fit, but.., 17 Sep 2012
This top is comfortable, flattering & lightweight for layering etc.. I like it and am keeping it I think because it looks good on.. So why 3 stars?

The top is jersey & is made in the far east.... what the hell with these prices?!

On this particular top, the satin eyelet edge where the lacing is looks pretty cheap and tacky - it would be a lot better if it was a different material or a mock suede, ribbed knit or something else.. It has a cheap & tacky look to this neck area because of this one small detail, but, it fits well and is comfy so for me this is not always easy to find for some reason, hence it's getting kept.. (Or at least I'm still thinking about it)

PattyBoutik Stunning 2-in-1 Hoodie Casual Blouse Top
PattyBoutik Stunning 2-in-1 Hoodie Casual Blouse Top
Offered by Patty Fashions

4.0 out of 5 stars Flattering comfy top, 14 Sep 2012
I decided to write a review because I debated for ages about buying some clothes from amazon & thinking I'd probably have to send them back etc etc.. I hate shopping for clothes.
Anyway, I loved the casual/trendy look of this top but thought that it would probably turn up and be built for the size zero crew.. Not so.
I tend to vary between a size 10/12 - 14 in tops and I have a fairly large chest area, which causes problems normally with "trendy" clothes on the high street, so I went for a size 14. The top fits like a dream and is a very comfortable fabric. It's not thick, which I like, because I prefer to layer & I get hot more easily than cold.
This top is long enough to pull down to a secure length over leggings/jeans and well hemmed enough to wear higher up with a skirt. It looks great and this is a rare thing for me! All the connecting areas where the black soft jersey changes to the ribbed grey are clean and not noticeable when worn. It's seamless and comfy and flattering on a curvy figure. I wouldn't tug the cords though, there is no eyelet, so it may tear! (It's not necessary to pull the cords though to be honest - just me being an idiot)

The reason I have given 4 stars.... This is not an expensive garment to manufacture!! It looks great, is useful and nice - but these patty girl and blue banana prices are a serious serious mark up.. Kind of annoying.

10/10/2012: added..

Was curious as to how these things would wash, whether they'd shrink, lose shape or otherwise become lame in some other way.. Have washed 4 times now at standard 40deg.. All's fine. Still good. Nothings faded and come apart as of yet! :)
Just thought I'd add this in since I was searching reviews for about a week before I decided to buy this stuff online, looking for any comments on how the clothes hold up.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2013 12:00 PM BST

René Lalique at the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum
René Lalique at the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum
by Maria Fernanda Passos Leite

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely gallery of laliques work, 23 April 2011
I'm fairly new to lalique and have to admit I've not read all of this yet, but the layout is lovely and the work is exquisite with very good photography too. There are pictures of laliques work alongside laliques original sketches and drawings of those pieces, which is interesting to see.
There are also a few shots which show the front AND backs of pieces, which was good to see because I wanted to see how they had been constructed and put together.
All in all a lovely book, especially if your a fan of his.

The book arrived in mint condition from the seller and in good time too.

Enameling on Metal
Enameling on Metal
by Nuria Lopez-Ribalta

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting...., 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: Enameling on Metal (Hardcover)
This book starts off with the history of enamelling - brief - for those that are interested. It then goes on to actually explain how enamel is made up and the difference between glass and quartz and the changes that take place when all the ingredients are combined together to give a vitreous enamel colour. This is useful to know at some point because when you understand something, you can understand better things that may or may not work.

Then there is a section on specialist materials, some of which are not fully covered in other enamelling books. This section has a good overview of all sorts of things that can be used in enamelling, tools, equipment, materials etc.. The book goes on to explain certain characteristics of enamel and its behaviour before you start to work - a good little section. Then we have the usual, cleaning of enamels, sifting firing etc.. but it also covers typical problems you may encounter and tells you why they may have occurred with various problem solving sections. There is then a section on making colour samples - which is really an essential part of an enamellers work and has to be done - (something I keep putting off!!)

The techniques covered in the techniques chapters are; painted enamel. Working with foils (and not just the tatty applied version!). Wet application. Opal Grisaille. White grisaille/limoges. Dry application. Oil painting/mixing enamel. Industrial enamels (enamelling on steel etc). Screen printing. Transfers. Champleve (with etching tutorials etc). Cloisonne. Finishing enamel - smoothing, texture, matting etc.. Etched bas-relief. Basse-taille. Punching, cutting, engraving, plique a jour. Enamel in relief. Protecting parts. Using metal clays and finishes. With the number of techniques covered, you can imagine they are not in depth lessons, they will introduce you to a technique and get you started.

There are then some step by step projects that I didn't like too much - aesthetically - but the lessons still good.
The book finishes up with a small gallery of work that's ok but not amazing.

Overall this is a good & interesting book with lots of decent instruction and knowledge. The work within it used to demonstrate isn't amazing - in my opinion - but the lesson is still there and its what you then do with it that counts (Also the actual application has been well done - its just the designs I wasn't keen on, but that's down to personal preference). I think a lot of this work has been done on copper - but you are still taught how to do it on precious metals too. Also, the work size varies, which is good.. there are some smaller pieces but also larger enamelling work is covered - which is useful for knowing how to enamel on different scales and also how to enamel 3dimensional objects - not just flat or slightly domed metal!

The author clearly knows her technique and I would say that this would be a useful addition to an enamellers book shelf..

Photoshop Masking Compositing: By the author of the bestselling Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (Voices That Matter)
by Katrin Eismann

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent excellent!!, 11 Sep 2010
So far this book is absolutely fantastic. It has taught me so much in such a short space of time and it is written and formatted in a way that is easy on the eyes - it seems more digestible somehow..
The 1st part of this book is going through the selection tools - which are really an essential tool set to master in photoshop for many reasons. There is an awful lot here that I didn't know about, even things that seem simplistic (such as rectangular marquee) have deeper uses for selections that make life easier! She demonstrates that there is no one tool or quick click to select objects, but by using the variety of selection methods together you can get excellent selections. There are loads of helpful tips and shortcuts throughout this entire book.

The author then goes on to show and explain ways to take those selections and make them blend in with whatever your going to use them with - how to soften the edges and play with all the various settings to get a seamless composition. (Over simplified, but this is the jist)

There is a whole chapter devoted to the pen tool - called "pen tool power".

She then goes on to teach about the layer masks and how to use them - layers and masks. Although I haven't reached this chapter yet, I have browsed the whole book and the techniques being demonstrated here look very exciting! Some really cool effects are shown that have been done with various masks. By revealing and concealing with these tools, it seems that there are limitless possibilities for great effects, seamless compositions and so much more!

The author then goes on to explain and teach more layering power and in depth layer masking.

Then there is a whole chapter called, "selecting and preserving fine detail"!! This chapter covers things like, selecting fine hair and details, selecting translucency and "green screen" techniques. Included in this chapter is "advanced selection techniques".

There is also a chapter on photographing composition and image execution.. this deals with things like, planning the image, models props & locations, format resolution & equipment, matching perspective, matching props, photographic essentials such as; lenses, exposure, shutter speed, depth of field, lighting (Qualities of lighting), shadow and background considerations. This chapter was an unexpected bonus for me - I hadn't expected to find lessons in this book on capturing great shots for use in photoshop, so was very pleased to find this.

The next chapter deals with photorealistic compositing and making impossible images look real, as if captured on camera. There is also a chapter on creative compositing, which is far more abstract and unreal.

All in all this is the best teaching book for photoshop CS4 that I have yet come across. It covers things very well and with a writing style that is not too complicated and has been easier to absorb and follow. It seems to be in an order that makes a lot of sense too.

I'm working my way through this book like a course, from start to finish, Following the written instructions and the helpful visuals and photographs - by the end I expect I will be accomplished at photoshop!

Highly recommended.

Lifesystems Mosquito Smoke Coils - Green
Lifesystems Mosquito Smoke Coils - Green
Offered by Sub Zero Store

5.0 out of 5 stars works!, 10 Aug 2010
I've been having a job finding any shops that sell these in the UK. Finally found here on amazon. Thought I'd add a review since these are so effective at keeping mozzies out. It says to burn outside - but I have to admit, after trying lots of things for my bedroom (where I've been getting bitten to pieces every summer!) I burn these indoors, in my bedroom and by the window. I know it says to burn outside - but I had to find something because I seem to be getting a bad reaction to the bites this year and it disrupts a good nights sleep.
These things work better than anything else I have tried. I've tried the plug ins, and I think they work ok, but I have trouble finding a plug in my room that I can use - even so, when I did use them, I still had some mozzies. These coils though, when I burn them in the holder by my window, I seem to have a mosquito free zone and a good nights sleep. I recommend them.

UPDATE: Oct 2012..
Although I have no problem with the smoke (I only need to burn a few inches of a coil, not much is needed) we discovered that my partner couldn't handle it.. So, SOME people might have sensitivity to the smoke. These things are designed for using outside, where they work equally well btw.. but burning inside means putting them right next to a cracked/open window.
Probably shouldn't put this here, but the 'Jungle formula plug in's' are now my ultimate 1st choice after trying lots of things.. You'll need an adapter plug for them, they have the European 2 prong plug - there are UK to EU adapters for a few quid here on amazon.. :) (They're very good & no smoke or smell)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2013 2:34 PM GMT

Jewellery Design Handbook
Jewellery Design Handbook
by Marta Serrats

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 13 July 2010
I have to agree with the previous review. This book was a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting jewellery design to be shown throughout the various stages of design development and through to a final image of the pieces made - perhaps with techniques used - it is after all called, "jewellery design HANDBOOK".. Some of the pages contain sketches and drawings, some have sort of watercolour montages with the finished work on the following pages - but its says nothing about the process or concept involved. There is some interesting work - but I think this book would have been better with a different title - more along the lines of "conceptual jewellery design showcase" - giving it a more accurate title would have avoided some disappointment perhaps.. It is more of a coffee table book of conceptual (quite "european") type jewellery with random sketches and scribbles included - and a very brief statement from the artists (BRIEF and not really about the work)Its more experimental work.
It's a nice book to have if your a collector of jewellery books - but its not a jewellery design HAND-BOOK.... The format and book itself is nice - it's about 2" thick and a bit squarer than a paperback novel.
I think some people will really love this book and some will not - but more might be disappointed because of the misleading title. If you expect it to be a gallery book of conceptual experimental and minimalist work, then you might be happier with your purchase. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3