Profile for lonedreameryaoi > Reviews

lonedreameryaoi

American Horror Story - Season 1 [DVD]
American Horror Story - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan McDermott

5.0 out of 5 stars American Horror Story - the darkest of sensual dramas, 15 Jan 2012
If there is one of the new shows that came out that stands out it's this one, my god did it grab me from the beginning and didn't let go. This amazing piece of TV is from the awesome Ryan Murphy who gave me one of my all-time fav drama's Nip/tuck and my fav comedy drama Glee. Yes this is a writer director of mixed tastes and has been able to appeal to both sides of mine. I love a dark and disturbing drama, full of violence, sexuality, menace and controversy but I also love a big bright camp spectacle and Murphy has given me both those. So when I found out he was doing a new show going back to his dark ideas and twisted worlds I was very excited. Also horror is one of my fav genres in fact horror is my fav genre and there aren't enough shows that really get to grips with its true potential. Were lucky we are in an era of great horror TV such as Dexter, Walking Dead and True Blood an era that isn't afraid to make TV shows for adults that really expose the darkness inside of us, not supernatural drama's for teens but true horror. The dark desires and wishes of humanity, shows that push the boundaries and expose us to controversial sights and sounds that takes thing we all think about but because of our sense of morals and ethic know are wrong and therefore enjoy watching others get exposed to and cross the lines we can never. Horrors that take our insecurities and play on them, making a terrifying life events like a family death even more horrifying by bringing in a supernatural element. I digress American horror story is a modern embodiment of our dark desires run amok, out onto screen for us to witness and revel in while exposing our fears and appetites for the macabre. The plot for AHS follows the Harmon family: Ben (Dylan McDermott), Vivien (Connie Britton) and Violet (Taissa Farmiga), who move from Boston to Los Angeles after Vivien gives birth to a stillborn baby and Ben has an affair with Hayden (Kate Mara), one of his students. The family moves to a restored mansion, unaware that the house is haunted. The house also 'comes with' Moira O'Hara (Frances Conroy/Alexandra Breckenridge), a housekeeper who, to men, appears as young and seductive, but, to women, old and matronly. Ben and Vivien try to rekindle their relationship as Violet, suffering from depression, finds comfort with Tate Langdon (Evan Peters), one of Ben's new patients. Constance (Jessica Lange) and Larry Harvey (Denis O'Hare) routinely and frequently affect the Harmons' lives.
AHS is like watching the old 1970's haunted house films, a house of secrets and sinister intensions like that of Amityville. A house of old and daunting architecture making it seem sort of out of touch with its own time period setting to further alienate the family living within from the world outside. The house has so much character that it itself is a character on its own and it's fighting for dominance. There's a mythology in japan that when someone dies it's not just their ghost that can stay behind to haunt but also the ghost of the emotions born from their death. In other words if someone dies in a brutal and horrific way full of pain, regret and anger its these feelings that are left behind to haunt a place rather than the ghost of a person. This is what this house is like all the brutality and horror that it has seen has been absorbed as part of its own will giving it a conscience of itself a conscience that wants to cause more harm and continue the violent cycle within it feeding the darkness and misery within. The house only knows negative feelings and it lives for these dark desires and brutal endings, all it knows is what it's feed off and that's the darkness within humanity and negative emotion. Thus in order to keep living to grow and involve past its inanimate bonds it preys on the darkness within people promoting madness and violence so it can continue to feed and grow. In other words it's a force born of evil, which only knows evil, wishes for evil and consumes evil only to create a cycle of evil for anyone who steps through its doors.
Every person who has stepped into this house has had their insecurities, pain and suffering exposed forcing them to face their fears and ultimately be driven made by those fears until a tragic and violent conclusion unfolds. This house has more ghosts than you could ever imagine and each has a tragic story to tell. As the episodes unravel you find out more about the various ghosts who they died and why they do what they do in death. Each character has their burden to bear and there is not a soul in this house that is without misfortune and sorrow. For example there is the tragic tale of Chad Warwick (Zachary Quinto) he put his heart and soul into the house making it a place to live in with his boyfriend, they were planning on adopting a baby and living a happy life. But the more he obsessed with the house and its decorating the more he alienated his boyfriend who began to stray and instead work on his relationship seek the attention he craved with another man. Before the two men ever had a chance to work out what was happening between them the house and its ghost saw they were drifting apart and saw fit to have them killed. Chad was murdered by one of the ghosts and his boyfriend brutally assaulted and killed made to look like a murder suicide. As ghosts they are trapped in a domed relationship, Chad wants to look after the house and dreams of children but has to face the reality that his boyfriend was about to leave him and he is stuck in a nightmare with a man that doesn't love him only to watch his love go after any man but him in his need to escape chad's obsession with a perfect life that neither can ever have.
There are so many ghosts in the house and half the brilliance of this show is trying to work out who is a ghost and who isn't, which ghosts are in alliances, what are their own agendas and goals and how they came to be trapped in this possessive house. Some of the more terrifying ghosts are that of a gimp suited rapist, a pair of creepy ginger twins, some kind of deformed offspring lurking in the basement. What was brilliant about this show was that it gets under your skin and began to frighten even me. Now I'm a horror connoisseur I raised myself on a diet of Asian horror films like Ringu and Ju-on with dark thrillers like Silence of the Lambs. I'm no wuss, not easily scared and don't shy away from violence and controversial viewing material. But AHS tested even me it has the unique ability to get under your skin to find the things that creep you out and wear down your defences until you are left feeling paranoid and unsettled. It's a powerful drama it knows how to tackle the darkness inside us and at the same time make you feel very uncomfortable. It began to give me nightmares and I had to stop watching it at night. Once I started to settle with it and it finally started to explain its plot I was able to continue evening viewing but god did this show creep me out. Even the opening sequence with is surreal and disturbing images with the most unsettle score ever totally got under my skin. I had never seen an opening scene where they uses such harsh and disconcerting sounds to distress you mixed with images so unnatural you can't help but feel scared and freaked out.
The filming is also beautiful such sensual sights, beautiful dreams and grand aesthetics make for a mix of pure pleasure and horror. Moira is a great example, she appears to men as a beautiful and seductive temptress, a gorgeous red head who can make men's fantasies come to life and is a walking vision of sexual desire but to women she is a scorned old women who wants to mother and nurture them, protect them from the predatory and infidelity nature of men and expose men's bestial needs. She drips lust and seduction and at the same time warns just what men are like when exposed to the desire inside them and their weakness towards such a woman. While the show looks out of place in this timeline because of the house and its imposing manner that clings to its own history it does delve into all the modern concern of our reality. It has modern issues such as a gay couple, having children once you're in your 40's and loss of innocence of childhood as younger girls are exposed to the expectations of the modern day. It also has a brilliant concept on the pressure on youth and how their insecurities created by the modern world can drive them mad, a madness that seems to have no explanation but can create a child that is a beautiful monster, for all their tender loving nature they are missing a part of their own humanity and can do unspeakable evil with no regret simple because they can and nothing can redeem them not even love. It's this lack of sentimentality that I love, love doesn't save the day you do evil and there isn't redemption but the knowledge that even your most beautiful and heart felt acts cant wash your soul clean and once your born a monster without the same morals of socially functioning humans you stay a monster.
What else can I say about this brilliant series, it looks good, it sounds good, it unsettles and terrifies, it delights and seduces, it exposes darkness and it exploits darkness and it enthrals and captures you. It is a must see who and I for one can't wait for another season.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 7:52 PM BST

Pontypool [DVD] [2008]
Pontypool [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Stephen McHattie

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes a film can be too clever for its own good., 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pontypool [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Warning Spoilers!!!
Pontypool is an independent film that doesn't rely on a big budget or high production values or even that many actors and just one set. I'm normally a fan of independent horror as they tend to actual be interesting and have a real feeling of insecurity and macabre. The independents don't rely on spectacle and have time to develop a far more intense world of horror. I have given up on American horror as it never scares me, tends to be re makes of Asian horrors that I by far prefer or use cheap shock tactics but without any real menace and certainly no psychological horror. But this film sounded really intriguing and said it was the best zombie movie out there, now I have a huge soft spot for Zombie's doesn't matter the movie if there's Zombies I'm there. There are so many terrible zombie movies having been a staple of the B movie horror genre and still I love them. Zombies have always made me laugh truth be told but then a new wave of modern Zombie films started to emerge to replace the B movies. Also the Hollywood Zombie movie went from classics such as Dawn of the Dead to the genre killing spectacle that was the Resident Evil movies. Now while I like the re makes of Dawn of the Dead the follow ups lacked any real punch and the 1st Resident evil movie was brilliant but the less said about its awful sequels the better. But alas the Zombie film went from amusing with the clichéd jumps to some truly scary stuff like 28 days Later and Rec. So when an independent says it the best Zombie movie I though hell yes.
Now Pontypool is a creepy little slow burner that starts to unsettle you and then goes a bit too far so it's not really that easy to follow and you are left feeling confused and a bit stupid. The story centre's around a radio station and it 3 members of staff. On one cold dark morning shift maverick radio host Mazzy is spinning his slightly confrontational stories much to the annoyance of his producer that wants him just to report the news and weather and the amusement of the tech girl. While doing their morning program they get a news break about a protest that seems to be going out of control from their eye in the sky reporter. Now the entire story is told and seen from the point of view of these three inside their radio studio so we only know as much as they do and are as clueless to what's going on as they are. We get our information from panicked phone calls and eye witness reports from their one man in the field.
The problem with the movie isn't the slow burn start or the lack of visuals; I didn't mind that all was left up to my imagination. When the scenes of people being eaten or strange mobs are descending on locations I could imagine what they looked like and knew that we were facing a zombie epidemic. The problem isn't even the new twist on the Zombie genre which was actually a really interesting idea. The idea is that this bout of Zombieism is via an evolution in the way a virus is spread. This like 28 Day we have a virus turning people into a rambling mass of unthinking flesh eaters. But it's even cleverer than that the virus is being spread through the English language. Somehow certain words in the English language have become infected and by saying them you become infected and slowly lose yourself as an individual. You see very little of the Zombies in fact its better when you don't as it adds to the sense of isolation and confusion. The problem is the film gets too clever and starts not really making much sense expecting you to fill in all the blanks and understand a whole speech about how we need to learn how not to understand and by making no sense we can survive, which means that there's a lot of nonsensically conversation on how to unlearn our understanding of the English language.
So here is what I have put together of the plot and tried to make sense of what was going on. The virus is in English only and only certain words, a cryptic message tells us that terms of endearment hold the most threat. So ideally we shouldn't be speaking English to each other or using nice terms like sweetheart, which our characters seem to ignore as producer lady calls up her daughter and tells her "everything will be fine sweetheart" way to spread a zombie virus lady!!!! Ok other information that we learn, a cat called honey is missing and some of the Zombies may be wondering around with the missing cat's poster. This I think is how the virus got spread people started looking for the lost cat used the word Honey (which is an endearing term and therefor infected) others overheard and got infected. So there you have it Zombie plague was spread by a missing cat there's a new twist. Somehow when you get infected you start repeating the infected word and then go blank. Once in blank zombie mood you start to repeat whatever sound you here, one report from outside is people standing by a car imitating the sound of windscreen wipers. Noise draws the zombies to you so be quiet, which is a staple of the Zombie genre and so is the fact that when they find you they will eat you.
Other strange plot conclusions include the fact that this disturbance started outside the practice of a doctor who somehow escapes and crawl into the radio station through the window. By this point tech girl is whistling like a kettle clearly infected so doctor ushers Mazzy and producer into the sound proof both and them doesn't explain what's going on. Mazzy is acting skittish and weird and doctor is babbling about linguistics and radio receivers. From my understanding is the Zombies are like receivers they need a sound that they can respond to bouncing this sound of themselves and then for some reason eating people. Oh also another important fact is if the zombie doesn't find a sound to respond to they vomit up loads of blood and die, which is the fate of poor tech girl. This is where I think you need to be a speech and language therapist or have a degree in linguistic or the English language because I don't know what anyone is really talking about, I get the gist of the plot but really they could have made it a little more accessible my Ma in Contemporary Film didn't save me from brain ache.
So what did I learn from Pontypool, don't call your cat Honey, Kiss is kill and if in doubt drop a bomb on it!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2012 11:05 PM GMT