Profile for suerob > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Brooks Women's Adrenaline Walker Running Shoes, Brown, 7.5 UK
Brooks Women's Adrenaline Walker Running Shoes, Brown, 7.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes., 14 Oct. 2014
Brilliant shoes. Fit like a glove from first wearing. Lots of support and plenty of toe-room. Knew they'd be good as also wear Adrenaline running shoes.

Code Name Verity
Code Name Verity

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartrending, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Code Name Verity (Kindle Edition)
I've just read Code Name Verity for the third time. As with the first two readings I've ended up in tears, even though I knew the ending. At once harrowing and uplifting, I expect it will stay in my mind for days, as before, and always be there in the background in years to come.
Profoundly moving.

Lost Daughters (Micky Knight Mysteries Book 3)
Lost Daughters (Micky Knight Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention! This is Book 4 of the series!!!, 28 Jun. 2014
One of the most moving Micky Knight stories (and yes, I've read them all!). What can I say? Jean Redmann is an exceptional writer allowing us insight into the character as we journey with her stumbling through life yet gradually dealing with demons both past and present.
Be warned, though - Amazon Kindle have stated this is Book 3. It isn't, it's Book 4. Read The Intersection of Law and Desire first or it'll throw the sequence!

The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight Mysteries Book 4)
The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight Mysteries Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention! This is the THIRD In the series!, 28 Jun. 2014
As with the first two in the Micky Knight series, this is another cracker. What I find so compelling about the character is her development and the way we learn a little more about her with each book. She has weaknesses and strengths, letting her down and seeing her through but all the time we know underneath her "tough guy" exterior she's vulnerable and just trying to get through life like the rest of us.
Just wish Amazon Kindle had not labelled this the fourth in the series. They've swapped it with Lost. Daughters and it's only because I have already read the books that I realised. Hopefully it can be corrected.

Skye
Skye
by Ophelia Finsen

2.0 out of 5 stars Self-published and it shows, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Skye (Paperback)
Oh, dear. What used to be known as "vanity publishing" is still alive and well in this digital age. Sadly, in this book, there seems to be a distinct lack of support from Beta readers who might have suggested the odd tweak here and there and who could have helped with structure, grammar etc.. Even the best writers need to have their new work read and critiqued and then work their way through edit after edit.
What could have been an entertaining read is hard work, right to the end. And yes, I did persevere, hoping it would improve, but it didn't. If an editor has actually looked at this and approved it he or she should think seriously about a change of profession.
I note there are other titles available by this author but only one other review (for this title). Sad that the author feels the need for a pseudonym - at least, I assume that is the case as this book is copyrighted to a different name.
All that said, there is obviously great potential in this author. She should be encouraged to write but with proper support and an editor who can do his or her job well and transform a book such as this from very mediocre into something well-written and entertaining.
I really hate being negative about a book and on occasion have been so disenchanted I haven't even bothered with a review. I feel this author should be given a chance and hope this critique of mine will encourage rather than discourage.

Women in the Shadows
Women in the Shadows

3.0 out of 5 stars Awful Kindle editing, 2 Mar. 2014
As with the previous two titles in the series (not counting the prequel Beebo Brinker) this story is so badly edited and proofread it's a real challenge at times, to the point of literally having to guess at what words SHOULD be when something quite out of context is used - occasionally even just combinations of letters that don't even form a word.
So disappointing.

I Am A Woman
I Am A Woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Kindle mess, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: I Am A Woman (Kindle Edition)
Ann Bannon's story is far from deserving of only three stars. This Kindle edition reduces it to yet another badly edited and proof-read mess.
Just who okays such poor quality production?
Sad to see another Ann Bannon book so badly let down.

Odd Girl Out
Odd Girl Out

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle readers be warned!, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Odd Girl Out (Kindle Edition)
I don't need to add anything regarding this story or Ann Bannon's undoubted influence on lesbian fiction HOWEVER I have recently re-read my Kindle copy,, purchased in April 2012, and have finally decided to comment on the appalling editing of this version.
Whether it has been updated since I bought it I don't know and the "Look inside" preview gives none of the story itself, which is no help.
Suffice to say it is jarring to read a story that is disjointed, missing punctuation with misspelling and word substitutions.
I have the hard copy of this book to compare and can only put this poor quality down to laziness on the part of the editor and proofreader (I assume they exist) of this Kindle edition.

Love's Masquerade
Love's Masquerade

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goodie, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Love's Masquerade (Kindle Edition)
This was one of the first Radclyffe stories I came across and I found it quite riveting - unputdownable, if there is such a word!
I'm not going to mention the storyline because that would spoil it for anyone new to the book. Sufficient to say it's a thumping good read, well worth buying and will really tug at the emotions.
I still have my very dog-eared paperback but now I also have it for my Kindle, and will re-read it again soon. Don't ask me how many times I've read it. Quite lost count by now!

At Seventeen
At Seventeen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: At Seventeen (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of Gerri Hill's books. I like some more than others, and being a softy at heart like her romances most of all. This is another lovely story and a nice reminder of how well she writes and how easy it is to become absorbed in the story. Looking forward to the next romance!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4