Profile for jack hooper > Reviews

Get Inside Her: Dirty Dating Tips & Secrets From A Woman
by Marni Kinrys
Price: 5.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your money, 14 Aug 2014
I've read a fair few books on the subject of dating and understanding women in regards to relationships and this is one of the worst. I dont like giving bad reviews normally but I had to say something about this book. First off its just mostly a collection of e-mails that was sent to the author and her responses to those e-mails. So its not really a proper book in the conventional sense anyway. But after reading this from cover to cover I find myself having learned nothing really, there were no light bulb moments at all. Plus there was a lack of sincerity that came off the pages and having watched a few of the authors videos on youtube it confirmed to me that shes pretty much the modern equivalent of a snake-oil salesman. She comes across like theres not one genuine bone in her body and she's say pretty much anything to get vunerable men to part with their cash. If you want to read something thats useful and genuine, take a look at "Models" by mark manson.

The Pick Up Game - The proven way to become skilled at approaching and dating women
by Rob King
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A natural approach, 18 Mar 2014
I've read a lot on the subject of dating and how to pick up women and most of it is nonsense. A lot of the guys writting these books and creating these programs are either conmen or just not living in the real world. Although then again, most of this stuff comes from America so maybe its a cultural thing and what they recommend just wont work in the UK and Ireland. I mean some of the things that Neil Strauss recommends in The Game would get you a Dig from women over here.
But Robert Kings book is different. He takes a more natural approach, not a fan of canned material instead he tries to draw out the real person buried underneath a lifetime of conditioning. And thats a good thing. Even if you dont end up scoring with one woman at the very least you'll have a better relationship with yourself and thats a very good thing indeed.Its really not about the end goal, its about the journey but I think most blokes just dont get that and end up shooting themselves in the foot. Anyway If you're put off by The Mystery method or the Game and prefer a more authentic, less contrived approach, then this is the book for you. I strongly recommend reading some of the books on the further reading lists aswell.

Solemate: Master the Art of Aloneness and Transform Your Life
Solemate: Master the Art of Aloneness and Transform Your Life
by Lauren Mackler
Price: 6.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but............., 20 Nov 2013
.......The author seems to contradict herself a few times throughout this book. On the one hand shes advocating being self sufficient and living a happy life alone. But then she contradicts herself and says you need people to make your life happy???
Ive no issue with either approach but there just seems to be a lack of consistency in the philosophy shes advocating, which can lead to a bit of head scratching.
But like I said it is a good book, with some very good insightful advice. The author just needs to make it clear what side of the fence shes on.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Game of Thrones - Season 2 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Lena Headey
Price: 19.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Way over hyped, 25 July 2013
I heard a lot of good things about Game of Thrones(GOT) and so was fairly excited to finally sit down and watch season 1 (a fair while after the rest of the world). But pretty quickly I found it to be not as good as expected, not even close. I watched all of season 1 so as to give it a fair chance but my main complaints are:

- The dialogue is aswful. Seriously some of those lines are cringe inducing.

- The scenes go on way too long. The writers just dont seem to be able to get to the point without a 10 minute ramble about days of old. In film theres an old saying: Dont tell it show it. Theres way too much waffle and it hurts the shows credibility

- believability is a problem. Yes I know its a fantasy series but the best fantasy books/films hook you in to the point where you but it completely. GOT doesnt do that at all. I find myself constantly aware that Im watching a tv show with actors.

- Bad acting. Some are good though, but for the most part the acting is terrible.

I watched season 2 to see if it'd improve but it was more of the same. I realise lots of people love this show but for me its a bit of a turkey.

Yes Sir ! Jack Nicklaus and his Historic 1986 Masters Win [DVD]
Yes Sir ! Jack Nicklaus and his Historic 1986 Masters Win [DVD]
Offered by RCDiscs.
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The miracle in Augusta, 5 Jun 2013
This is a great documentary which just doesnt seem long enough. Its only 48mins in length and honestly they could've made it 1hr 48mins as theres so much great material there to be mined. I was 10 when this masters took place and to my eternal regret I didnt watch it live at the time. The world cup was taking place in mexico that year and all my energy was focused on that and nothing else. I've always heard people remark on how the '86 masters was the best they've ever seen so I was delighted to find a documentary that told the story. Theres some great footage here, not just of '86 but of the 1980 US open, the '75 masters('63,65,66, & 72 are in there aswell). Interviews with Ken venturi, jim nantz, Greg Norman, Ernie els and Gary player, plus naration by Jack's son Jack jnr, who was on the bag that day.
Watching this documentary you really do get a feeling for how it was that day and it was magic. The weather was perfect, the course as usual looks beautiful and the galleries were electric with the growing anticipation of what was taking place. Jack himself was emotional on the inside but calm on the outside. some of the shots he played on that back 9 were phenomanel. It wasnt a case of him fluking a win or being lucky at 46 yrs of age, he won that tournament through brilliance and that makes it even more exceptional.
The only gripe I have about this dvd is that at the very begining jack gives an intro that involves a pretty disgraceful promotion of a sponsor. Its just a bit too much corporate sell out for my liking.

Adidas SuperNova Running Short Tight Men's
Adidas SuperNova Running Short Tight Men's

4.0 out of 5 stars Great racing shorts, 22 Jan 2013
All in all these are a great pair of running shorts. I didnt give them 5 stars because they're not as long as I would've liked, but thats a personal thing, other people might think they're too long. Definitely longer than traditional running shorts but not quite as long as skins half tight running shorts or CW-X shorts. However CW-X shorts are heavy and not great for racing(perfect for training) whereas these shorts(supernova) are perfect for racing. They're very lite, non restrictive and they look pretty cool too.

Overcoming Addiction: Positive Steps for Breaking Free of Addiction and Building Self-esteem
by Corinne Sweet

3.0 out of 5 stars An anti-male undertone, 14 Jan 2013
I thought at first I was imagining things, but as I worked my way through this book I found theres definitely a bit of anger directed towards men from the author. I mean all in all its a good book and I'd recommend it for anyone struggling with addiction or someone who works with addicts. But like I said the author does take a few covert digs at men which for me damages her credibility.

American Horror Story - Season 1 [DVD]
American Horror Story - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan McDermott
Price: 11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont believe the hype, 8 Jan 2013
I'd heard rave reviews about this show and seeing all the positive comments on amazon convinced me to buy the first season box set. But right from the get go I wasn't impressed. It was a bit of a mess. I painfully stuck with it though, hoping things would improve but this show got more and more ridiculous. Theres not one likeable character, but worst of all theres no depth. Whats the point of this show, wheres it going? Its shock value for the sake of shock value. Its beautifully shot and looks great but its all just window dressing. If you like shows with lots of style but no substance, then you'll love this. But if you look for more depth in what you watch, stick with Madmen or breaking bad.

Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
by Aaron T Beck
Price: 17.45

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, 6 Jun 2009
This book is the real deal. I read another book on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy(Feeling Good: The new mood Therapy)and I found it difficult to follow and so I experienced only minimal positive changes in my moods. But this book is very well written and laid out. Its easy to follow and it really does the job it claims to do. I worked through the exercises and was shocked to see what had been rolling around in my thoughts. I was saying very nasty and negative stuff to myself without even being aware of it. This book drags the bad stuff out into the daylight and helps you trace the origin of your moods. I was amazed at the realisation that how I was feeling depended entirely on what I was thinking. So by using this book you can identify why youre feeling not so good and then turn it around so that you feel fine.
I feel sorry for people who suffer from depression and who have resorted to medication just to function in the world. Thats a horrible existance and no way to live because taking pills solves nothing. This book and CBT tackle problems at their very root and leave you feeling reborn. Ditch the pills if youre on them and get this book, I promise you'll be eternally grateful you did.