Profile for elizabeth > Reviews

Content by elizabeth

elizabeth (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, Revised Edition: The New Ethics of Eating, 2nd Edition
by Erik Marcus

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you go WOW, 15 Dec. 2013
All i can say is that this book is amazing, written in a straightforward manner that grips you and enlightens you. It changed me from a young navie kid to an aware adult. It talks not only about the effect of current society living on our health but on the consequence to animals/earth. He put it it in logical, easy to understand way which was quite moving too. I never felt talked down to or that you HAVE to be this way, just that this is the current state of things and this is what you can do. This book has been with me for ten years and it will journey with me the rest of my life because it is brilliant, its not one to miss at all!

Imperfect Environmentalist: A Practical Guide to Clearing Your Body, Detoxing Your Home, and Saving the Earth (without Losing Your Mind)
by Sara Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes please Darlene, 5 Dec. 2013
Was not actutally intending to buy any eco books, was researching classic 90's tv and stumbled upon this little gem. I like to think of myself as a little eco warrior but the truth of the matter is that my knowledge is practically zero on how to save myself and/or the planet. I want to make a difference and the point of this book is to realistically open our eyes to the changes we can make in our lives, however big or small. It is quite an informative humourous book and made me think - i can do this, i can change!

We can switch toothpaste, shampoo, washing up liquid, soap brands to more eco friendly ones which are actually better for our bodies as less harsh chemicals. Changed what cloths/funiture we buy. We can become vegetarians and vegans or at the very least make better choices as a meat eater. We can use the washing line more than the dryer. We can look at more sustainable energy such as solar panels, rechargeable batteries etc. Car pool, go green at work and grow your own plants in whatever space you have. Buy more locally and actually wash the chemicals off that come free of charge if its fruit and veg. We can get a flitter. We can be more aware of what is actually going on in our world and how the dangers of "normal" living are effecting us. We can change how we get rid of pests and how we can go green in death.

Its really is a great book and i'm so not explaining it well enough - buy it is what i recommend! Or at the very least do research on how you too can go more eco friendly in your life.

Heroes - Season 1 Complete [DVD]
Heroes - Season 1 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Milo Ventimiglia

5.0 out of 5 stars A girlie in love with peter and hiro!, 2 Nov. 2013
I love especially this first season of Heroes. The idea that every day normal people can have some thing locked within them (a special evoluntion gene that will change their lives good or bad forever) makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I think we all want to a hero, prance around the living room in a cape and underpants. We all want to be special. To think our lives mean for something. I also love the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" mission, how something so simple can be quite profound.

One of the few down sides is one or two of the plot errors/contridictions.
Like claire telling the quarterback she has known she was adopted since she was a kid only for later in the season for father Bennet to tell teenage claire she is adopted. Or how Mohinah's sister originally died when he was two but towards the end of the season he was supposed to be the maricle 2nd baby to save her but wasn't born in time. A bit sloppy and makes you think they changed things needlessly.

Sylar is excellent, freaks me out yet i can't help but love his softer sides.

Spoiler
Why didn't it dawn on pete to fly in the first place rather than blow up a city?
He wanted so badly to fly in the beginning, quite fitting he should fly in the end.

I did love it and though i am sad it ends at season four, i watch them all repeatedly :)

A Tiny Bit Marvellous
A Tiny Bit Marvellous
by Dawn French

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Frenchie! I loved it!, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)
Though i do like Dawn French I had serious doubts as to whether i would like any of her novels, just the idea was off putting as so much of what Dawn does is layered with facial expression/body language/tone. I just felt the wonder that is her would not carry forward into her writing. Boy was i mistaken even though the first pages tried to convince me otherwise with the over the top mellodramatic teen diary. But i pushed passed and got to the other members of the family's diary pages. I thought it was so so and then i got hooked. I laughed. I cringed. I was moved. I got so involued in the story that i stop thinking "crap" and started thing "oh boy is there anything dawn french cannot do" because this is brilliant!!! I whole hearted recommend this book. It may not be completely realistic but its fun and it shows the dynamatics of a loving flawed family.

I loved it!!

Disney Princess Brave Merida Doll
Disney Princess Brave Merida Doll
Offered by DEAL A BARGAIN

1.0 out of 5 stars Its not merida, 3 Oct. 2013
This doll is like any other barbie doll but that is not who merida is ..... she is strong, empowered, opinionated, wild and has quite a realistic look about her. She is not the standard disney princess as this particular doll suggests. Its a pretty doll and is what it is so in a sense nothing wrong with it EXCEPT its nothing like what it is supposed to be based on. "Princessy" Merida only lasts about 7 minutes in the film which is forced on her and gets ripped to shreads. I would not buy this for my child at all. There are other versions which are truer to the merida character and which frankly are healthier for children to be exposed to.

Grave Surprise (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Grave Surprise (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Love harper, 20 Sept. 2013
I do quite adore the harper and tolliver books. The main characters have lots of chemistry and a great set of circumstances. A side from being able to find dead bodies, they are the heroes with no super powers that you want to save the day. I like the dynamics, the quick wit and the basic idea of the novels which are are brilliant. However i think the mysteries themselves that the main characters have to solve are a little too obvious. As soon as we meet the murderer i knew them for what he/she was. I just couldn't have told you why they did what they did. Just that some of the hints were not as subtle as they could have been. I think sometimes its laid on a little too thick. That less would be more.

Crash [2005] [DVD]
Crash [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars wow - i would recommend!, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Crash [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I knew nothing about this film when i started watching it. I had no clue what it was actually about. It is quite jaw dropping in its honesty of our prejudices. Regardless of who we are, everyone judges others on the most basic of terms. That who people appear to be is not always who they are. Even the racist bigot of a cop (who you want to drop kick) has a heart. We are all products of a broken history and broken society, messing each other up further by our stereotypical view points. Assumptions are ruining us all. I love how this film made me think. How it changed my perception. I kept reassigning who the jerk/bad guy was but what I realised is that we are all just people with flaws and the capability to love.

I quite like this film and all the different perspecitives of the crashes of people.

The Covers
The Covers

5.0 out of 5 stars So envious of his voice!, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Covers (MP3 Download)
Sam tsui is a hidden gem in the grand scheme of things right now! He is such an amazing talent, his voice fills me with thrills and never fails to bring a smile to my face. I would 100 percent recommend this artist (Plus friend/producer Kurt Schneider). He has appeared on several hit talk shows like Ellen, graduataed Yale and is YOUTUBE sensation. I see very big things for this wonder!!!! Very very very big things!

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters [DVD]
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Renner
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable trash, 13 Aug. 2013
This film had the potential to be something. It had great actors, good chemistry, some great scenery and some lovely tender moments. But predictability was to the point of pathetic. I wasn't left surprised and the hints were not so subtle. I want more than aiming for a bloodbath. I want more of a decent plot that isn't a remake of every other rubbish film out there. I do feel bad saying this because its someone's hard work i am criticising but this film just not enough to satisfy me.

Lucky
Lucky
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Lucky (Paperback)
This book is obviously of a sensative nature but is still a novel i think all should read. It is profound and moving. I'd not considered what it truely meant to be the victim of rape, not just the implications of the attack itself but the ramifications of how it has a ripple effect to those around. That others may feel a vested interest in your personal story and feel they have rights to it, implying it is theirs to share and theirs to give input on. I'd not considered how it must surely change a person forever to have gone through such tramatic events. Not considered how others may define a person by rape, that you can be lost in the role of victim. I loved Alice's humour of a very hard personal topic, it changes a person forever but i'm glad to know that though changed, you can still find you despite all the horrors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5