Profile for nick@kclweb.com > Reviews

Lady Samantha
Offered by kevin26821
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Early B-Sides, 11 July 2000
This review is from: Lady Samantha (Audio CD)
As a kid in the 70's I had all of Elton's singles as well as albums because I wanted the B Sides ( I didn't realise then that if I waited until the 21st Century many of them would be bundled with the CDs Then one day they made Lady Madonna (only on cassette) and I bought it and proceeded to wear it out. At last it's back and I can revisit the 70's again.

Mr Tompkins in Paperback (Canto)
Mr Tompkins in Paperback (Canto)
by George Gamow

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic returns, 11 July 2000
I read this first while doing a Physics degree in the 70's. I was impressed that such a great scientist as George Gamow could translate the complex and inside out worlds of relativity and quantum mechanics to Joe Public in such a clear and humorous way. By slowing down the speed of light to about 100 mph, he shows what would happen to the travellers and viewers of people who ride bikes and trains, and how that by living in such a weird place the uncommon becomes a way of life. Moving on to tunnelling ( a field in which Gamow achieve Nobel status) he agian shows that the seemingly impossible only remains so to those who refuse to see. Thanks George!

The Whole Shebang: A State of the Universe(s) Report
The Whole Shebang: A State of the Universe(s) Report
by Timothy Ferris

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 July 2000
This book is wonderful. It sets out to explain how cosmologists think the universe is the way it is based on current understandings, but it doesn't assume the reader has an astrophysics degree. This is important stuff, which should not be just for the few with the ability to think sideways and solve complex calculations before breakfast; and so it is. Timothy Ferris guides us through the thought processes (and sometimes historical politics) that have led the human race to reach its current position clearly and with good humour. We can get a feeling for the universe and a real understanding of our place in it. Again Fantastic!