Profile for Jeff Carter > Reviews

Content by Jeff Carter

Jeff Carter (Newport Pagnell, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Guvnors [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Guvnors [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Doug Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Memorable Movie, 29 Dec. 2014
A great story, superb acting and excellent directing make this a truly memorable movie. Harley Sylvester gives a fantastic performance and really does send chills down the spine while the rest of the cast are simply brilliant. And look out for a star of the future in Cameron Farrelly as young Alfie. A great performance!

Is It Really Too Much To Ask?: The World According to Clarkson Volume 5 (World According to Clarkson 5)
by Jeremy Clarkson

4.0 out of 5 stars Arise, Sir Jeremy!, 7 Aug. 2014
This book is a collection of articles that Jeremy wrote for the Sunday Times...and that's an important point. Although it was inevitable that they would eventually find their way into a book, that was not their prime purpose. So unlike the author of a 'normal' book, a journalist making contributions to a newspaper works under certain restrictions. For a start, the articles have to be of a predetermined length. They also have to be done to a deadline. But most of all, they have to reflect the political position of the owner of newspaper in question, in this case, one Rupert Murdoch. Now, on the face of it, Jeremy would appear to be perfectly placed to provide such material. The persona that he chooses to project to his public sits in the political spectrum slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun, while he resides in Chipping Norton and has our Conservative Prime Minister for a neighbour and, apparently, best buddy.

So it is no real surprise when he tells us, for example, that he cannot understand why normal working people are reluctant to sacrifice their livelihoods so that bankers, Prime Ministers and motoring journalists can continue to live in the manner to which they have become accustomed. He shows amazement that the common man does not willingly and obediently descend into a life of poverty in an attempt to rectify a situation that was not of his making.

Now, don't get me wrong here. Jeremy is my favourite writer by a stretch and I have all of his previous books and Top Gear gets my vote as the top TV show of all time. The Daily Telegraph - or, to give it its correct name, The Tory Newsletter - describes it as "Highly Entertaining" (they would, wouldn't they) and, when he is not fawning all over his neighbour and pal, it certainly is. It is in much the same style as all his previous offerings and there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. However, I did find his petty attempts at character assassination of anyone with differing political views to his somewhat tiresome. I don't know whether he is chasing a knighthood but if his bosom buddy next door is reading it, it can only be a matter of time.

But I have long been a believer that Sir Jezza does not really expect people to take him too seriously and if you read this book from that point of view, you will love it. Take the political references with a pinch of salt and you will, like me, find yourself howling with laughter. This book is a must-read from start to finish and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of their politics!

Arise, Sir Jeremy!

Angels Sing - Christmas In Ireland
Angels Sing - Christmas In Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas As It Should Be, 5 Nov. 2013
So, the long-awaited CD and DVD of Libera's Christmas concert recorded live at Armagh Cathedral has arrived. And, I am sure, the first question to be asked by those who purchased their Christmas album of two years ago must be "As many of the songs are already featured on the previous CD, is it worth purchasing this album?"

The answer is a resounding "YES!" Quite apart from the handful of songs that do not appear on their earlier offering (more about them later!), there is the unmistakable atmosphere that you experience at a Libera concert. The only thing missing in that respect is the audience reaction, which has either been skilfully edited out or maybe these CD tracks were recorded separately without the audience in attendance. Either way, it makes no difference. This is 'Live' Libera at its best and if you do wish to hear the applause, I would urge you to purchase the DVD as well, as I have.

All the tracks have a distinctly Irish feel, largely due to the additional instrumentation such as the Irish flute and violin. And while we're on the subject of Irish music, listen particularly to Track 7: "Danny Boy" sung completely unaccompanied with ten-year-old Isaac London taking the solo. This track alone is worth the price of this amazing CD. There is also a version of "Gaudete", a Libera favourite from way back. The final track is "What Child Is This" sung to the tune of Greensleeves: absolutely superb.

This amazing CD is, then, a welcome antidote to the overblown commercialism of the modern Christmas. It is what Christmas used to be like...it is Christmas as it should be!

Angels Sing - Christmas In Ireland [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Angels Sing - Christmas In Ireland [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Libera

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly It's Christmas, 4 Nov. 2013
A big problem with DVDs - in fact, with television in general - is that it is very difficult to capture the atmosphere of an occasion. Oh yes, you can point a camera at a performer and they can sing to perfection but you rarely get the same 'feel' that the attending audience experiences. Now, as one who was more than a little disappointed at not being able to attend this concert in August due to the short notice of the publicity, I was hoping that this would be something special capturing the spirit of the occasion and not failing as so many 'live' videos do.

I need not have worried. This DVD is nothing short of brilliant, not only capturing the atmosphere but even enhancing it with superb camera shots, lighting, editing and sound mixing. Tight close ups and spectacular crane shots make this DVD something very special. I already have Libera's DVD of their Holland concert and, excellent though that is, this Christmas offering makes it look like a home video. Yes, I know it was shot in the middle of Summer but when you watch it, it is suddenly Christmas. The boys' performance is, of course, as faultless as ever. Having been to many of their shows, it never fails to amaze me how professional these young performers are and how much work must be put in to achieve and maintain that standard. Robert Prizeman is, apart from being the nicest man I have ever met, a genius. How he manages to handle that many boys and optimize their talents is quite beyond belief.

But let's get back to this amazing DVD. Buy this and you'll hear lots of Christmas songs, some that you know and a few that you don't and the most moving version of 'Danny Boy' you are ever likely to hear sung completely unaccompanied and is alone worth the price of this DVD.

So, a superb DVD and a must for all Libera fans and, indeed, anyone who appreciates high quality young talent. But a word of warning. This DVD was shot in NTSC format, presumably to accommodate our transatlantic friends. This is not a problem if you have a reasonably modern PAL DVD player but, if it is a few years old, it might be a good idea to check that it is NTSC compatible. If it isn't, buy a new machine...it will be worth it to see this incredible video!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 12:06 PM GMT

24 Pack Foam Earbud Earpad Ear Bud Pad Replacement Sponge Covers for Earphone, MP3 MP4 Ipod Iphone Itouch Ipad Headsets. Gadgetbrat TM-USA
Offered by KKINTRADE

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the packet..., 31 Mar. 2013
Speaking as one of our more senior reviewers, the shape of my ears has altered dramatically over the years. However, my love of music has not. This led to the problem of finding a headset that was compatible. As I do not wish to travel to work on the train wearing huge headphones, it had to be small and subtle. But my ears do not fit that description. Add into the equation the fact that I do not want to share my taste in music with fellow passengers, it had to be reasonably soundproof as well. My early purchases were not notably successful. The cheaper ones were bulky and fell out quite a lot and did not insulate the sound. A better pair were ones that fit right inside me ear - almost touching the eardrum - and had great sound insulation. But the sound quality was rubbish. Eventually, I came upon a set that had great sound quality and, as they had a sort of foam 'condom' fitted, the did not fall out. Great! Right up until the moment one of the foam covers dropped off, never to be seen again. So, I scanned Amazon and came across these replacement covers and, hey presto, problem solved. I now have enough left in the packet to last me into my dotage - or at least as long as I enjoy my music! A good product, this...not much more to say about it except that it does exactly what it says on the packet...

Song of Life - A Collection
Song of Life - A Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Collection, 21 Nov. 2012
This excellent CD is a magnificent collection of some of Libera's finest material. "I Am the Day" is, for me, their best ever piece and it is great to hear Ben Crawley taking the solo once again. "Panis Angelicus" has been recorded by many over the years but this arrangement is simply mind blowing. The harmonies and counter melodies in the second verse really have to be heard as words cannot adequately do justice. "Gloria", based on Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony, has been a popular crowd pleaser at many Libera concerts and its inclusion on this album is really welcome. However, having said all that, it is only fair to point out that all but one of these tracks are available on previous Libera albums but do not let this put you off. For a start, it is great to have so many of their best songs all in one place. But more importantly - and the reason most of their fans will purchase this excellent collection - is the inclusion of "Song of Life", brilliantly performed by soloist Ralph Skan, who brought the house down with it at a show in Epsom a year or so ago. This number alone is worth the very reasonable price of this CD and I can heartily recommend it to all Libera fans, old and new!

2 (Twin pack) X Memory Foam Pillow / Pillows Traditional Shape by Viceroybedding
Offered by Viceroy Bedding

3.0 out of 5 stars Firm but Fair, 17 Dec. 2011
My wife and I have been used to sleeping with three conventional pillows each so I ordered two twin packs (ie four pillows in total, two each). I had read the reviews which warned those of us who had been used to fluffy pillows that these were 'Firm'. And they were. In the same way that a railway sleeper is firm.

However, on the day they arrived, I was just just recovering from working a week of night shifts and, frankly, I could easily have fallen asleep even if it had been an actual railway sleeper. But when I awoke the next morning, it felt surprisingly comfortable. And when I ditched the top pillow and used just one, it was even more comfortable. One is really all you need. Now, I'm quite used to it and I sleep very well but I do still have the occasional urge to get out the previous soft ones. But I resisted and I'm now happy with these memory foam pillows.

But I would advise that they do take a bit of getting used to and they will certainly not be everyone's cup of tea. If you like your head to sink into a soft, downy pillow then you should think twice before you purchase these. However, if you want some firm support for your head and shoulders, they are for you. You will soon get used to them!

The Christmas Album
The Christmas Album

5.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P. AV3, 9 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Christmas Album (Audio CD)
You can always tell when Christmas is approaching round our way. The shops that have been decorated since September, the light shows on the houses, the Christmas trees, the smell of mince pies...and the sound of 'Angel Voices 3' emanating from my house. Yes, this album of Yuletide songs by St Philips Boys' Choir (Libera in a previous life) has been an annual favourite of mine for many years and I couldn't imagine Christmas without it. Until now.

Because Libera have once again shown that it is possible to improve on perfection by bringing out this superb collection of carols and Christmas songs, some familiar and some not, but all with the traditional stamp of Libera quality. A brilliant blend of nostalgia and the contemporary, 'The Christmas Album' will make your Christmas complete.

So I'll now just lay my 'Angel Voices 3' CD to rest in the attic. Its work is done.

Additional notes added 26th November 2011: Having just read Charlotte Gardner's laughable BBC review above, I'm just wondering if we're talking about the same album! Ms Gardner talks about over-production and compares this superb CD with Christmas contributions by other church choirs. What nonsense! That is like comparing champagne with petrol. They are completely different.

Libera has a unique style that is extremely popular with their fans worldwide. It may not be in the style of traditional cathedral choirs but that, surely, is the whole point. If he wants to listen to Christmas music done the way it has been done for decades, there is plenty to choose from. And he can keep it! Libera is the most refreshing phenomenon to hit the music industry in years in a style that I, for one, absolutely love!

Libera: The Christmas Album (Standard Edition)
Libera: The Christmas Album (Standard Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P. AV3, 3 Nov. 2011

Additional notes added 26th November 2011: Having just read the laughable BBC review above, I'm just wondering if we're talking about the same album! The reviewer talks about over-production and compares this superb CD with Christmas contributions by other church choirs. What nonsense! That is like comparing champagne with petrol. They are completely different.

Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2013 8:13 PM GMT

Eternal Light
Eternal Light

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical Sensation, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Eternal Light (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this track simply so that I can listen to it whilst commuting to work, along with the tracks from the original 'Peace' album. It's actually a track from Libera's 'Peace - Deluxe Edition', which I have reviewed separately. If you have read that review, you will recall that I suggested that it could be the best song ever written.

Well, ok, I'll admit that I was a bit excited at the time and I'm sure that people like Cole Porter and Oscar Hammerstein might dispute that claim. But it really is a fantastic song and is briliantly performed and produced on this track. One of the factors that make it stand out is what appears to be a full orchestra accompaniment rather than a synthesiser. I say 'appears to be' because keyboards can be pretty damn clever these days but seeing 'real' instruments used at their recent Epsom concert convinces me that there is a full orchestra on this track. The subtle use of the brass section is really effective.

I find myself using ever stronger superlatives when I review Libera's music and I have deliberately tried to avoid them in this piece. But I can resist no longer. Eternal Light is absolutely superb. Libera are the musical sensation of the century and it should be made compulsory listening. The world would then be a much better place.

And Eternal Light is probably the best song ever written (sorry Oscar)...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4