Profile for malibutango2 > Reviews

"malibutango2"

Harmonium
Harmonium

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmonius harmonium!, 18 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Harmonium (Audio CD)
Firstly I should just say for the Vanessa Carlton fans out there this album won't let you down! I was very worried that this second album wouldn't be as good as Be not nobody but it's just as good if not better!
There are some amazing new tracks on here, among my favourites are Papa, C'est la vie and where the streets have no name but to be honest there isn't really a track I don't like on this album.
first track- White houses, this track is quite reminiscent of a few tracks off be not nobody especially a thousand miles but it's still very good. Nice few new piano sounds also. This track introduces the album well.
second track- Who's to say, a somewhat rebellious track. Nice dark bass intro which leads into some nice piano chords and then of course the song. Still quite a melodious track, not as dark as some of the others. Favourite lyrics from this track 'stand up straight, do your trick turn on the stars, Jupiter'
third track-Annie, this track is a real grower for me. I wasn't sure I liked it at first but after a few listens i found it quite interesting. An exceptionally darker track about a little dying girl. The accompaniment for this track is brilliant also, and I think that is what grabs me in this song. The rolling introduction on the piano immediately draws your attention to it.
fourth track- San Francisco, also a grower for me but there's something lacking in this track, not sure what. It's still good though and I do like it but there's something missing in it.
Fifth track Afterglow- I absolutely love this track, similar set up to twilight in the arrangement of the song. The piano accompaniment for this song is much richer though and has a tremendous middle eight.
Sixth track, Private radio- Only song on the album I'm not keen on, very much a poppy sort of tune but good lyrics though. This track is what loses the fifth star in my review.
Seventh track, Half a week before the winter- Another track I love, great drum intro with a complex piano accompaniment that is amazing. Complex and dark lyrics on this track which all equals a great song.
Eighth track C'est la vie- Very original track, the piano accompaniment does not stand out on this song, this shows a different side to Vanessa Carlton and to me opens the door for more music from her. The drumming and bass on this track really reminds of the white stripes!
Ninth track Papa- This has to be my favourite on Harmonium, Vanessa really shows her piano skills off in this song, I'd love to attempt playing this myself! A darker track but it has a real punch to it and the ending although unexpected is fantastic.
Tenth track She floats-Another interesting one on the ears! Mixture of strings, piano and scary voices. I like the main tune in this but the middle eight loses this track for me. The main song is good though and again claps at the piano accompaniment!
Eleventh track, Where the streets have no name- The intro for this is about a minute long and I originally thought it was just an instrumental but it does lead into a song eventually. The intro is beautiful though with its mixture of soaring strings and rolling piano parts jumping through different chords. The actual song is great, love the lyrics in this one I see the dust clouds disappear without a trace' and 'i want to seek shelter from the poison rain'
last one The wreckage- Very dark track for me with it's very minor sounds and dark lyrics but a good ending to a great album!
Get this album if u love Vanessa. For those of you who haven't really heard anything by Vanessa give this a try you won't be disappointed!!!!!!!!!