Profile for Modernistocrat Horatio Alger > Reviews

Content by Modernistocrat...

Modernistocrat Horatio Alger "jrhutch_uk" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Songs About Cars, Space and The Ramones
Songs About Cars, Space and The Ramones

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% excellent fun, 26 Jun 2014
Wow, I was surprised by this short but consistently superb album! This feels like a return to their glory days of punchy, intelligent, great songs. I'm reminded of their first 3-4 albums, but with better production that brings out their rich sound. First listen had me grinning ear-to-ear with pleasure. This is the Drivin n Cryin I love. (although the folk emphasis is reduced here, it still works as a DnC album). Not just for fans, but potentially a good set of songs to win over new fans! "Moonshot" is incredible, but this album starts, continues, and ends very, very strong.

Vintage Clockwork Wind Up Cock Rooster Tin Toys Collectable Gift
Vintage Clockwork Wind Up Cock Rooster Tin Toys Collectable Gift

1.0 out of 5 stars Believe the negative reviews. Dodgy item!, 26 April 2014
Cute toy, but it's a shame that its mechanism broke after just a few walks. Shoddy workmanship, not rustic nostalgia.

Braun MobileShave M-60b Portable Shaver
Braun MobileShave M-60b Portable Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars The only electic shaver I use now, 9 Aug 2013
I've bought and appreciated three of these units now. With the rugged life-on-the-go that I lead, they tend to last about a year before they just wear out and stop working. But then I've had similar trouble with other, much more expensive shavers before (I gave up on buying a £50+ shaver every year after too much darn unreliability!). So I figure the price is fine given the extreme portability of this shaver. It doesn't give a great shave, but it's adequate and it's a tough little unit whose batteries last surprisingly long. Definitely a satisfied customer.

HDMI TO VGA with Audio Converter Cable Adapter for PC Desktops Laptops Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support - Black
Offered by CableMac

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked so well I bought a spare for another laptop!, 9 Aug 2013
A bit bulky but necessary. I travel and do a lot of powerpoint-type presentations, and it's terrible to be caught without a way to connect to a projector-- my new laptop only has HDMI-out; no VGA or DVI. I've tried this adapter out during my travels and have been very satisfied, so I've bought a second one for my "backup" laptop to have just in case. It works as well as it should.

Input HD HDMI to Output VGA/Audio Cable Converter Adapter for pc DVD TV monitor (HDMI, Black)
Offered by Golden Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do and does it well., 27 July 2013
So easy to use- just plug in and away you go. I liked mine so much that I bought a 2nd one for another laptop, to ensure I always have HD-to-VGA connectivity wherever I go. It sucks to show up at a work event with a modern laptop that lacks a VGA-out port and not be able to do a presentation. Great deal for the price!

My Beloved Brontosaurus: On the Road with Old Bones, New Science, and Our Favorite Dinosaurs
by Brian Switek

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, personal, modern review of dinosaur science., 15 May 2013
Brian Switek is not only one of the best living science writers, period, he is also the science writer who knows dinosaurs best, period. And he loves them; his passion comes hurtling through the chapters like a Yucatan-bound meteorite (but a meteorite that brings dinosaurs to life rather than brings them doom). You don't move from New Jersey to Utah to be closer to the coolest dinosaur dig sites and museums if you don't truly have a burning zeal for dinosaur research. His street cred is thoroughly established by that alone.

This is a very personal story of how one man's love of dinosaurs has stayed with him, has shaped his life, and how his perception and enjoyment of dinosaurs have changed along with the science. It's a book for dinosaur fans of ages roughly 12 and upwards. Switek writes extremely accessibly but intelligently- he does not dumb things down but makes them interesting, fun and even novel to an expert (like myself; I'm a professor who does dinosaur research and I learned a few things I'd missed out on!). And he doesn't make it lame, cheesy or nerdy- he stands up for good science and for dinosaurs as more than just kitsch. I loved phrases like "You can't get blood from a stone, but if you know where to look, you might find dinosaur colour."

The highlights of the book for me, first, include his vivid, firsthand experiences of what it's like- not just in terms of a sensory experience but in terms of a profound personal experience- to be in the field digging up or hunting for dinosaur fossils. His accounts of driving around the USA to visit various museums, field sites or researchers left me nostalgic for my own similar trips back in the 1990s. This is a part of Americana that not that many people experience, but it is immensely pleasing and educational, adding colour to American history and geography. Switek's writing brings the excitement of living in Utah; near the heart of American "dinosaur country"; to life.

And then Switek's reviews of the history of dinosaur research; the bulk of the book but organized thematically more than chronologically; are excellent. For example, why did Brontosaurus's name change and how has our understanding of that animal (Apatosaurus) changed over the past 2 centuries? He gives this question, often covered in other books (e.g. Gould's "Bully for Brontosaurus", which I've loved for ages), new vibrancy. And for once, the large meat-eating dinosaur Allosaurus gets its due, not as a wimpier cousin of T. rex but as a fascinating and fearsome animal in its own right. Switek's discussion of the sounds that dinosaurs made is very well informed and insightful, and his balanced treatment of how/why dinosaurs went extinct is refreshing and spot-on-target. There's much more than that in the book, but those are some parts that stuck with me.

All of these highlights are made possible by three things: Switek writes brilliantly, is deeply passionate about the subject (this is the #1 book he was born to write, I'd say), and truly knows the science. He goes to the conferences to keep up on what scientists are doing before it is published, he reads the original papers and knows what they mean and how to sort out B.S. or hype from good research, and he even regularly does the actual fieldwork with the top scientists. Switek IS a palaeontologist; not just some random journalist; but also he is one who can bring the science to life like perhaps no one else living today. He doesn't just write about it; he has lived it. He picks the right discoveries to emphasize because he knows the field's history and can think critically well enough to make his own assessments of what the modern view is or where the resolution to persistent controversies might lie. The book is modern (papers coming from ~2012 are discussed) because Switek has modern knowledge. He is quite aware of what the cutting edge research is and he personally knows many if not most of the researchers involved.

If you're going to read one general book about why dinosaur science is fun, still important and relevant in the modern age, and dynamically changing (indeed, improving amidst a new renaissance that has been sustained for at least 20 years!), read this. If in 20 years I want to look back on my career, close to my retirement, and reflect how the field has changed since today, I'd use this book as one first milestone for where dinosaur palaeontology was in 2013.

I bought the >6hr audiobook .mp3 version for my commuting. Switek reads it himself, and this adds to the personal touch. I highly recommend that. It is well edited, clear, nicely paced and has an interview at the end that was a nice surprise bonus.

Dinosaur Art: The World's Greatest Paleoart
Dinosaur Art: The World's Greatest Paleoart
by Steve White

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY don't you own this yet?!?!?!?! So wonderful!, 21 Sep 2012
I am stunned at the quality of this book for the price. I'd gladly pay £40 or more for something of this solid quality AND in hardcover. The top names in modern palaeoart are involved, with hardly an omission- Csotonyi, Paul, Anton, Henderson, Marshall, Sibbick, Rey, Conway, Nicholls and Martin. WOW! Stunning full page and *multi-page foldout* (I hardly believed this when I saw it) colour images, using methods running the gamut from pencil to digital/composite photographs. Virtually every page explodes with colour, action, imagination and scientific rigour. This is modern, state-of-the-art palaeoart: based on the latest evidence, with some fossils portrayed juat a few years (or less) since discovery. If you're a palaeoart fan already, you'll recognise some recent classics here (but no oldies like Charles Knight) but also there is plenty of new art to keep you happy, or it was new to my eyes anyway. The text is minimal and focuses on the artist and their perspectives on the field/approach to palaeoart.

Buy it, treasure it, cuddle it at night... it is just so great! And I think children would appreciate it almost as much as adults, so minimal ownership of 1 copy per family should be made a very strict law-- speak to your local MP please. Except for the prior sentence, there is no hyperbole in my review. This probably is the best palaeoart book I've ever seen, especially at this insane price, which seems like charity. Gorgeous, well presented, top quality stuff. If you've gotten this far in my review without purchasing this book, stop reading and do it!

Deus Irae (Folio Science Fiction)
Deus Irae (Folio Science Fiction)
by Roger Zelazny
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful. It's in French., 16 April 2011
Well, I might be an idiot but somehow when ordering Deus Irae I didn't notice that it was the French version. Nothing like this ever happened to me before and it's strange that the French version was at the top of the search list. Anyway, if you don't want to read the French version, I would not recommend this, although for Francophiles it might be pure bliss (je ne peux pas discerner). ;)

Biofino Venezia Ice Cream Cones
Biofino Venezia Ice Cream Cones
Offered by Baba Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Only 2 cones provided not 4! But high quality., 16 Mar 2009
My review is about the same as the other reviewer's, and I wish I'd seen theirs before placing my order. The 2 cones are nicely-crafted and seem quite durable, and are very soft and cuddly. Great decorations, too. The ice cream balls are big enough that they won't easily get lost.

But the advertisement photo definitely is misleading. Just 2 cones. So if you want to pay >£10 for 2 nice cones, go for it, but you can find cheaper plastic versions out there. For those that like quality, this may still be a good buy, although I consider it at least mildly overpriced.

Classic Magic Mike
Classic Magic Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal! This is what you want!, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: Classic Magic Mike (Toy)
Simple design- no batteries, no cable, no other nonsense. Just works by echo, and hence is not intolerably loud like some other mics, and no canned music to be forced to sing along to, so your kid (or you!) can make their own. My 3yo daughter loves it.

Slight downsides: a bit bulky (but light) and seems brittle; a misstep will crush this easily. But for the price, who can complain!

Page: 1 | 2