Profile for Ray-zor > Reviews

Test Music:
Paul Weller: Broken Stones & Changingman
Coldplay: Fix You
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication
I'm going to predominantly concentrate this review on how the Dragonfly Red behaves with Apple's iPhone, as that's why I bought it.
But firstly, I've also tested it on a PC, using: CD's, compressed iTunes & WMP, using two Sennheiser in-ear headphones (£40 & £100), and Sony on-ear headphones (£50) - all fully 'burned-in' & capable of quality music.
There was a 'slight' improvement in sound on the 'over-ear' headphones, but not on the 'in-ear' headphones.
So onto the iPhone - with it's very poor codecs and 'internal' DAC. (Please note: the iPhone plays 'VERY WELL' via USB on my car stereo, so I know what's achievable, if this DAC device does what it says on the tin).
With all three headphones, there is a noticeable difference in much of the music, but (even though the default iPhone audio is poor) 'different' is not always 'better'.
It deals with the 'silence' between sound extremely well, and often pulls out lots of instruments that the iPhone is incapable of finding, particularly 'snare-drum' type sounds; but then it gives them too much prominence, drowning the vocals and key instruments. The result is, you increase volume to try and bring them back, thus drowning yourself further with sound that should be distant. The phrase 'listener fatigue' sums up the experience.
This device can drive power-thirsty headphones, welcome news for some, but sudden booms in the music WILL DEAFEN YOU !!! (To the point where I'm tempted to say it's unsafe to be sold)
I've been unable to leave the volume at a constant setting for more than a couple of songs.
Sound engineers may say scientific tests prove it replicates sound 'perfectly(ish)' - such as in their own product description, and it maybe it handles 'sound' well, but it turns 'music' into 'sound'. Piano's become synthetic, accoustic guitars become flat, and banjos (yes, they're still on some songs) become an ugly unrealistic twang.
I want to like this device so much, which is why I paid £160, and the published reviews are glowing... maybe if the price was between £20 to £30, it would be merited.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2016 12:14 PM BST

Skating Across the Baltic
Skating Across the Baltic

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hypnotised, 11 Dec. 2015
This cd is hypnotic, & (for me) reminiscent of Nick Drake's work.
Track 2: Here and Gone is one of the most simplistic, inventive and unique pieces of work I have ever heard.
I don't yet know if either artist has a back catalogue, but I'm certainly going top check it out.
5-stars - a fantastic cd.

Neet® - WiFi Wireless Music Receiver - AIRPLAY + DNLA - for APPLE (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac), ANDROID (phones, tablets), WINDOWS (Laptop, PC) - High quality wireless audio streaming - Wolfson DAC - Turn your Speaker Dock, stereo Hi-Fi, home theatre etc. into a wireless sound system.
Offered by Neet Cables

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw your old HiFi out yet!, 28 Mar. 2015
I'm very tempted to give this item 5 stars, but it does have the occasional hiccup (which is fortunately very rare, & it fixes itself without any headaches).
Given the price, I am extremely happy with this little gadget.
Set-up was 10 minutes, & could have been a touch easier, but I've come across far far worse than this!
Thereafter, you've got all your iPhone music running via AirPlay, on the device of your choice - Magic !!!
(That includes Internet radio apps, & the ability to change volume on your phone).
It's worth being aware though, that your iPhone may automatically connect to THIS wifi, rather than your dedicated modem (that's an iPhone quirk, not a fault with the item) - & whilst you will still be able to use the web, your download speed will be slowed significantly. All you've got to do to fix, is check & change the network on your phone settings - you can still use it, whilst you're connected direct to your proper modem.
I'd happily recommend this product.

2015 New Release ProntoTec Axius Series Q9 7 Inch Quad Core Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet PC, 800 x 480 Pixels Cortex A7 Processor, 4GB ROM, Dual Camera, G-Sensor, Google Play Pre-loaded (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars The Screenshots are Faked, 27 Mar. 2015
I'm sat indoors as I type (not in bright sunlight) but the screen is alomst impossible to see, even on full brightness.
Held perfectly square, it comes in around 15% as what you would consider acceptable.
But if you intend breathing while using this product, & therefore potentially tilting in inch (or less), the screen can not be seen.
I've given this product 1-star, as I don't consider this product 'fit for purpose'.
The beautifully contrasted product screen images used in this description are BLATANT FAKES.
Note: there's a reason the video reviews of this product are filmed in the dark... Buyer Beware !!!

And THREE video reviews!!!... Wow, that's... err.. so fortunate for the manufacturer.

I'm sad to say this, as (other than that) this is a pretty good little gadget.
It's very decent packaging inspires confidence, and the build quality is pleasantly surprising.
It includes a couple of cables, & an instruction booklet, and all for £30-ish.

And, given the price, I'm not going to stress out over returning it, & arguing whether the screen is acceptable or not (Please note: It's not).
Because, thanks to the wonderful magic of Chromecast, it's going to be a media server, & nothing else (& that's all I wanted it for anyway).
I can live with that, but if you're hoping for more... you have been warned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2015 10:08 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars you will probably be more than happy. However, 22 Aug. 2014
The looks, functionality, build quality and outright class of this product are absolutely staggering.
This (fortunately) compensates for the variable audio quality.
If your only experience of hifi is a £50 iPod dock, you will probably be more than happy.
However, if you have ever spent a similar price (£500-ish) on standalone hifi, your smile wont be as bright.

If you give this unit a decent amount of volume, it's pretty good - in the main.
On busier, more complicated tracks, it doesn't know where to place the emphasis, so when you want to increase the volume to hear the vocals, you are often deafened by instruments that should be further back.
At this price, it really should handle them better!

However, the biggest disappointment is when listening at lower volume levels - which (I'd imagine) is more often then not. You can get better quality 'low-level' sound for £30-ish (if you shop around, & buy with your ears).
I say this, having set up my unit in perfect domestic setting, facing me head-on, 12 feet away.

I read all the reviews before buying this unit, and I assume they tested it with significant volume before writing their reviews, as (under those circumstance) I'd write the same.
But it's sadly not the dream ticket all-rounder it's looks suggest.

For anyone with all their music on their phone (eg: a 64gb iPhone, like me), the ability to 'air-play', & control the volume with my phone buttons, is the future. I'm keeping this unit, but as my bedroom hifi, not my main-room system.

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by TOTAL AV

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed, 23 Dec. 2013
I'll start by saying I'm keeping this tv (after exchanging it once, & toying with swapping it again), but there's key flaws that potential buyers should be aware of, the most serious of which are:
a) Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)
b) Reflective Screen
(The 'motion-flow' capabilities, and 'standard definition' are also extremely sub-standard, & I'll touch on those later)

Dirty Screen Effect
If you shop around, you'll meet some salemen who will play dumb when you ask about DSE (even Richer Sounds, I'm sad to say), and some who will own up to it. The reason is, so many new tv's are dogged by it, & they shouldn't be on sale in the first place, so they'll be dogged by returns/refunds if they come clean. So make sure your shop will co-operate if it has to be exchanged 'before' you hand over your cash!
If in doubt about DSE, look at how all 4 corners of new tv's are darker than the centre picture (not easy to do, because the looping adverts they play in stores use fading darkening images to make this effect un-noticeable... buyer beware!!!)
My first unit had a darkened rectangular panel to the right, and a 'dirty net curtain' effect, when watching flat colours 'panning' (eg: a football pitch whilst a breakaway attack takes place, or blue-sea/blue-sky nature programmes).
Fortunately, Tesco saved the day & swapped my tv without any quibble.
The replacement is much improved, but still 'flawed', not just with the 4-darkened corners (no escaping that), but also with one dirty palm-print sized, darker patch.
40+ years ago, a man walked on the moon... but we're still struggling to create a uniform backlight? Strange... (who said 'Built-In Obsolescence'??? Surely not!)

Reflective Screen
In only 'average' daylight, this screen can become unwatchable.
Yes, you can hike up the brightness to compensate, but some daytime tv programmes still include dark, night-time shots... and for these shots, you will see nothing but the reflection of your living room.
TV's have been using unreflective screens for many many years now, so why Sony have decided that reflective ones should make a comback, I have no idea!
(Oyyy! You at the back! Please stop shouting 'Built-In Obsolescence'!!!)

My 7 year old lcd (sadly now broken) was far superior to this tv, thanks to its' unreflective matte screen, and uniform backlighting, skin representation and standard-def 'upscaling'. So be prepared for a possible step-backwards in quality if you plump for this tv.
On the plus-side, high definition tv, in a dimly lit room, is very impressive.
Anything less is like watching the 'Invasion of the Elastoplast People', with their mono skin-tones.
Also, the remote is so small & squeezed, it will be unusable for many - unless they use a knitting needle to operate the buttons.

Anther good-point: usb playback was very impressive (but I only tried .MP4 files so far).

Finally, yes... 2 HDMI's is very stingy, but HDMI switches are very cheap these days, and I would probably buy one anyway... so sorry Sony, this particular tactic to force repeat business out of me is thwarted.

So why am I keeping this tv?
Well, I'm expecting the 'insides' of the tv to still be Sony-quality, & therefore will not blow any fuses/capacitors (ala Samsung).
Equally, the patchy-crap LED backlighting issues affect (possibly) most tv's, so if you 'need' to buy (like I do), you need to compromise. And by buying at the 'budget' end of the spectrum, it will allow me to upgrade quicker than normal, when the next range of tv's with uniform illumination are released.
Hope this helps you make your decision, and buy (or not buy) with your eyes open.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 5:09 PM GMT

Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
by Napoleon Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Use a Post-It note, 3 Aug. 2012
This should have been a 5-star review, but I feel (like everyone before me) this wonderful peice of work has been vandalised by Sharon Lechter.

It's not as if the text needs any help, let alone the patronising interjections that are not fit for a 3-year old.
If you were to take a marker-pen to her comments (which are in bold), for one: you'd go through more than one pen before you finish, & two: you'd ruin the text on the other side of the page.

So my advice is, have some 'post-it' notes ready for every page turn, to block her unwelcome & unmeritted interuptions;
without that, it's impossible to ignore her comments... they're 'EVERYWHERE'!!!

If you can somehow manage to stick to Napoleon Hill's text, you will be rewarded with an intriguing book; a snapshot from history that is still relevant today (& I'd suggest even timeless).
I say that, regardless of whether you are a fan of Napoleon Hill, as I personally has never previously read any of his work.

Coming soon: The Complete Prose of Wordsworth (edited, rewritten, and with in-depth analysis after each line, by Sharon Lechter)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 9:59 PM BST

The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman- Limited Edition LA Film Festival CD
The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman- Limited Edition LA Film Festival CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Gold, 17 Mar. 2012
Firstly, let me quantify the following review.
I'm a fan of Sparks. A fan who would list 'Kimono My House' as one of the top 10 albums of all time.
Equally, I'm impartial enough to describe some of their work as 'poor'.
And if you're on this page, you're probably also a Sparks fan (to some degree), so I hope this review can assist your decision.

The background history of this recording is fully detailed on Wikipedia (& it's worth a read), so I'll say nothing on that here. This is purely a review of the music.

So, should you spend £20+ on this CD? = Yes.
Why?
If you're hesitant about this pricey purchase, check it out on 'Spotify', where you can listen to the recording 'in-full'!

'''Important''' - notice I've used the words 'IN-FULL' - there are no songs on this recording that you can 'cherry-pick' to listen to in isolation... this is a 'complete entity'.
Spotify has the choice of: (a) the full recording, or (b) individual segments.
Choose (a).

If you're prepared to invest 64 minutes to headphone listening, with your eyes shut, you will be vividly rewarded by a journey into a musical treasure.
If you choose (b), you'll probably think this review is over-hyped & unjustified.

Sparks have always been a creative/experimental band, with a flavour of humour that has often disguised their quality (at least, to a 'superficial' listener).
I'd imagine that's how the odd 'duffer' reviewer listened to this, such as 'The Times'. You won't find 'Get In The Swing' on here... If that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere.

I'm tempted to say this CD is the Sparks' 'Sgt. Pepper' moment (or even, 'The Wall'). I'm staggered that they've been able to raise the bar to such heights!
This is unpretentious quality, perhaps more comparitive to Jeff Wayne's 'War Of The Worlds', or Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals (but way better than the former, and superior to a lot of the latter's work).
Every song is different to the last, yet somehow instantly familiar, whether that be: electric guitar, orchestral, synthesiser, haunting piano... etc. And the vocals are absolutely top-notch.
The level of creativity within this 64 minutes surpasses the '''full-catalogue''' of many legendary names that I could (but won't) name here.

So is it all 'good'?
If I was to be harsh, I'd suggest that the last quarter is weaker than the three-quarters that preceded it; but that hasn't stopped me replaying it five times in the last two days.

Wikipedia suggests a follow-on musical, or film, is planned; and I find that a bit worrying. I'm not sure the end-result could live up to this gem... but they've surprised me once, maybe they'll surprise me twice?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2013 7:52 PM GMT

Seduction of Ingmar Bergman
Seduction of Ingmar Bergman

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Gold !!!, 12 Mar. 2012
Firstly, let me quantify the following review.
Equally, I'm impartial enough to describe some of their work as 'poor'.

So, should you spend £20+ on this CD? = Yes.
Why?
If you're hesitant about this pricey purchase, investigate 'Spotify'. You can listen to the recording 'in-full'!

'''Important''' - notice I've used the words 'in-full' - there are no songs on this recording that you can 'cherry-pick' to listen to in isolation... this is a 'complete entity'.
Spotify has the choice of: (a) the full recording, or (b) individual segments.
Choose (a).

Sparks have always been a creative/experimental band, with a flavour of humour that has often disguised their quality, to a superficial listener.
I'd imagine that's how the odd 'duffer' reviewer listened to this, such as 'The Times'. You won't find 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us' on here... If that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere.

So is it all 'good'?

Skagen Designs Men's Leather Analogue Watch 856XLBLN with Blue Dial
Skagen Designs Men's Leather Analogue Watch 856XLBLN with Blue Dial

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of the following before buying, 7 Dec. 2011
This is a lovely watch... no question. But...

Firstly:
Leather straps usually take a bit of 'wearing-in', but this one appears to have the watch metal housing 'embedded' into it, so the strap is screwed to the phone, rather than having normal spring-connectors.
I'd suggest therefore that a replacement strap can only come direct from Skagen, rather than any normal watch shop.
(Note: I'm guessing at the above, the only way I could say for certain, is by 'breaking' it apart. There's definitely 'zero' flexibility in the strap, within an inch of the watch)
The result is, viewed sideways, there's a inflexible 'C'-shape to this watch, that will make achieving a comfortable position on your wrist... an unnecessary challenge !!!

Secondly:
Although it might appear impossibly slim, it is in truth 'WAY - THICKER' than most watches, due to the 'dome' that sits below the watch face (& unseen on the publicity photos).
The result is, the watch-face will sit floating 'above' your wrist, rather than 'on' your wrist.

If (like me) you wear the watch lower than your wrist bone/knuckle (ie: on the hand-side of the wrist bone, rather than the 'arm-side') the result is the watch appears to be 'levetating' above your wrist, like a flying saucer!

I've read many good reviews on Skagen, but none of them warned me about this.
I wish they had.

If you're ok with that, then consider this to be a 4-star review
(it would have been a 5-star review, if the number '2' of the twelve was not ever so slightly crooked).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4