Profile for cellophanestar > Reviews

Content by cellophanestar

cellophanestar

Page: 1 | 2
Decrescent Dock Connector to 3.5mm Jack Car Stereo Auxiliary (AUX) Line Out Audio Cable Lead for Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad - 1m
Offered by Decrescent
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Jan 2014
Brilliant item especially for the price! Connects my iPhone 4 to my car no problem and sound quality is really good.

Talk for Writing across the Curriculum: How to teach non-fiction writing 5-12 years
by Pie Corbett
Price: 25.69

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 Sep 2013
I bought this book at a time of slight panic about my end of year Year 2 writing levels, and hoped it would give me the inspiration to boost my class when they really needed it.

It worked! This book is full of great advice and examples of how to teach different non-fiction genres to children. The DVD compliments the book well and also has PDFs to use in the classroom.

I was quite dubious at the start of using Pie's method of rehearsing a text over and over and just hoped that by the end it would be worth it. By the end of a 4 week stint, my class wrote their best writing of the year and I had thoroughly enjoyed teaching every lesson.

Brilliant resource!

Brother Sewing Machine LS2125
Brother Sewing Machine LS2125

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for the price, 14 Aug 2013
I purchased this machine a few weeks ago and overall I would say its a great machine for the price and ideal for beginners. It has a range of straight and zig zag stitches, a buttonhole maker and comes with plenty of empty bobbins, 3 different feet, a screwdriver.

This will do everything you need to do to make most things.

A couple of small criticisms- the instructions are not very clear at all, to the point where it took me over an hour to thread the bobbin the 1st time because the pictures (bearing in mind this is not the first time have threaded a machine). Also, so far I have found it difficult to find a middle ground on the pedal so it seems to be either on and fast, or off. It seems to be hard to have it running but at a slower pace. Perhaps this will come with more use but not from the times I've used it.

Overall well worth buying.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 July 2013
Like many, I decided to read this book having heard it was "life changing" and "a must read". I went into it completely open minded, but probably with a bit of expectation about being enlightened or "changed" by the end.

I forced myself to finish the book because it was so short, but I found it very wishy washy. I felt like I couldn't take it seriously, I didn't enjoy the writing style and it didn't speak to me in any way. By the time the boy was trying to turn himself into the wind, I felt like laughing!

Not for me at all.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Had heard this was a must read book so decided to give it a go.

Although not really what I would usually read, I found myself becoming absorbed by the story and gripped by the different twists and turns. I personally thought it was very well written, I enjoyed the alternate chapters from Nick and Amy's views and it kept my mind thinking about what was going to happen next.

The ending was not what I had expected at all, but the more the story developed the more I thought - I'm not sure how I want it to end! So I suppose I can't be disappointed.

Would definitely investigate other Gillian Flynn books after reading this.

Safe House
Safe House
by Chris Ewan
Price: 4.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as you get further in, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Paperback)
I was aware of this book as I live on the Isle of Man and had seen promotion related to it and when I noticed it was 20p I thought I'd give it a go.

This is not a genre I would usually read, so I had no real expectations. The story is interesting and I think gets more readable as more characters and twists become involved. One thing that did annoy me especially at the beginning was the random details about the setting which I felt added nothing to the story. Perhaps this is because I already had the prior knowledge of the setting but it really got on my nerves, as if the author was doing his best to mention as many places on the Island as possible!

Overall I would recommend this book to others even though I wasn't particularly a fan of the author's style, it was a good story.

Green & Black's Indulgent Collection
Green & Black's Indulgent Collection
Offered by Green & Black's Direct
Price: 18.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 13 Feb 2013
I bought this a Christmas present. The packaging was great and the the contents are well worth the money.

Recommended for any chocolate lover!

When I Grow Up: A Memoir
When I Grow Up: A Memoir
by Juliana Hatfield
Price: 14.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not gripping, 13 Feb 2013
Having been what I would call a casual fan of Juliana for a few years now I was interested to find out more about her life. The book mostly alternates between chapters about the tour she did when starting Some Girls and her rise to fame.

I found the chapters about her past and how she came to where she is now more interesting than the tour sections, however it was insightful to read what it is like for perhaps bands/artists of a certain level of fame as opposed to the mega stars.

I found the tour sections often went into little detail about some quite boring things as if she forced herself to write a chapter about everyday even though there was nothing to really say of interest.

I did enjoy finding out more about where her career started and especially the part about her eventual parting with Atlantic Records.

Overall ok but not a page turner.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
by Jojo Moyes
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far, 11 Nov 2012
This is now the 5th book by Jojo Moyes I have read, and I was not disappointed. The book is written in 2 parts, as she has done with other books then the 2 parts weave together to create an interesting and gripping ending.

Well researched and entertaining.

Foreign Fruit
Foreign Fruit
by Jojo Moyes
Price: 7.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter but keep with it!, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Foreign Fruit (Paperback)
I found this book slow to get into but stuck with it knowing that other Jojo Moyes I have read have been worth reading.

A interesting story which unfolded carefully, linking 2 eras and stories which meet as the story develops.

Another good read!